Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
@Aibohphobia It's not very clear from the pictures, but is the power button on the Cerberus one of those vandal resistant switches? If so, you're gods. If not, can the power button be replaced with one either as an add-on option or as a mod once we get it in our hands? I saw a few people replace the power buttons on their NCASE M1's and loved that.

Yes, it's a 16mm vandal switch. Swap and replace to your heart's content :)

Gnrl Kitty

Chassis Packer
Oct 22, 2015
Oh that's totally fine. I think that was the same thing the NCASE M1 modders used. Are you using the illuminated ones or non-illuminated? If illuminated, what color?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh that's totally fine. I think that was the same thing the NCASE M1 modders used. Are you using the illuminated ones or non-illuminated? If illuminated, what color?

Every Cerberus will have a silver switch that illuminates with a white ring around the button. It looks very classy.

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
So I have to ask. What if my needs change and I want to move the SFX PSU from the front to the rear. For instance, at first say I don't want to watercool my CPU and GPU's and just go aircooling. Later down the line I decide I want dual rads (240mm on bottom and 240mm in front) and I want to mount the SFX PSU in the rear, I won't be able to due to fixed bracket in the back which will not allow me to do so. I know you mentioned the structural integrity of the case may be compromised but I think its a better to offer options. ATX PSU is not an option for me I'm just looking at the possibilities for an SFX PSU. I hope I made some sort of sense in my rant....

Reactions: Zerofool

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
In other words, those Interchangeable brackets you have on the current prototype would work perfectly in my opinion.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Not only is marking a non-gift as a gift illegal, but when you have a large number (10-20?) of the same package arriving in the country with the same sender, same packaging, and same contents marked as a 'gift'? Customs & Excise aren't going to miss that, and at the very least the shipments will be impounded and likely returned to sender (at their expense). Fines may also be levied.
For review parts, a temporary import license may be used to avoid paying tax/duty (either under an ATA Carnet, or a Temporary Admission scheme under the review/testing purposes exemption). Permanent imports still need to pay tax/duty though. Whether that works in practice for multinational companies that can ship to themselves for testing than reship internally is another matter.
Just to clarify, I am in no way condoning this behaviour now nor was I suggesting this as a postage option.
Feel like the discussion went off on a bit of tangent!

Back on topic - I think a month long campaign is a good length of time.
How many backers would you need to get this off the ground?
100 has been batted around as a number.
I think 500 was mentioned, although that seems optimistic (if you don't mind me saying so!)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So I have to ask. What if my needs change and I want to move the SFX PSU from the front to the rear. For instance, at first say I don't want to watercool my CPU and GPU's and just go aircooling. Later down the line I decide I want dual rads (240mm on bottom and 240mm in front) and I want to mount the SFX PSU in the rear, I won't be able to due to fixed bracket in the back which will not allow me to do so. I know you mentioned the structural integrity of the case may be compromised but I think its a better to offer options. ATX PSU is not an option for me I'm just looking at the possibilities for an SFX PSU. I hope I made some sort of sense in my rant....

If you're using SFX, a 240mm on the bottom and a thick 140mm on the side is supported already. I don't think the compromises and additional cost in the previous solution (with the rear bracket) are worth the improvements that the few people who want SFX + 2 x 240mm would see, compared to them simply going with 240mm + 140mm.

Back on topic - I think a month long campaign is a good length of time.
How many backers would you need to get this off the ground?
100 has been batted around as a number.
I think 500 was mentioned, although that seems optimistic (if you don't mind me saying so!)

Probably around 600-750, though we're still debating it a bit. We can't really target a substantially smaller number without increasing the price to beyond "around $250" - though, with the lower tiers and options and the possibility of an "expedited" version, the math changes a lot. We'll illuminate this more once we ourselves have more information to work on.

(And yes, even 500 is ambitious given the price, though NCASE hit around a thousand their first go-around. We think we've got a larger market and better PR/attention, though, and we've also been approached by some businesses that have indicated interest in ordering)

Reactions: david

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Probably around 600-750, though we're still debating it a bit. We can't really target a substantially smaller number without increasing the price to beyond "around $250" - though, with the lower tiers and options and the possibility of an "expedited" version, the math changes a lot. We'll illuminate this more once we ourselves have more information to work on.

(And yes, even 500 is ambitious given the price, though NCASE hit around a thousand their first go-around. We think we've got a larger market and better PR/attention, though, and we've also been approached by some businesses that have indicated interest in ordering)
Oh wow - I wasn't aware that NCASE did so well off the bat (I was quite late to the party)!
I am naïve in regards to the economics of the business but that is very encouraging; particularly interest from businesses.

Obviously keeping to the projected ~$250 would be great!

hiepphotog

Caliper Novice
Feb 2, 2016
With all these LTD edition talks, I think some of us got carried away. Most here would want to get the case asap, but adding extra process into the LTD edition would most likely result in delay. Unless I'm actually getting the Cerberus 00 or 01, I don't think it would matter much after that. On the other hand, I would personally like a signed picture of the designers with their case so at least I can put faces to names.

So yes, I just want to get the case as soon as possible :D.

Reactions: alamilla

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
Does anyone know of a case that is readily available that is similar to this case? mATX support.

Thanks for the reference but I am not paying $300 for a computer case. Wife would have my head....

As others have mentioned, this case will be $250. After other options like side panels and handle, you could be looking at more than $300. It's a copout saying my case is too expensive. If you want a case that can hold three x 240mm radiators in UNDER 20L of space, then Project mATX is the case for you. Keep in mind, there isn't another case on the market that can hold that many radiators AND still have room for a full system with dual GPUs.

If you are interested in purchasing, head over to the artisan thread on overclock.net and leave a comment. Could have your case shipped out Tuesday if you purchase today or tomorrow. Would be in your hands by the end of this week, start of next depending on where in America you are located.

-Jeffinslaw

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Apologies if this has already been answered but it's not 100% clear from the specs; can two 140mm fans be mounted on the bottom?

Reactions: Zerofool

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thinking of fitting one of these in place of the stock switch (assuming the funding goal is reached)

Those should fit.

With all these LTD edition talks, I think some of us got carried away. Most here would want to get the case asap, but adding extra process into the LTD edition would most likely result in delay. Unless I'm actually getting the Cerberus 00 or 01, I don't think it would matter much after that. On the other hand, I would personally like a signed picture of the designers with their case so at least I can put faces to names.

Good points. And you're probably the only one who wants a pic :p

In the meantime you can listen to our lovely voices via the podcast: http://lowvolu.me/

Apologies if this has already been answered but it's not 100% clear from the specs; can two 140mm fans be mounted on the bottom?

Yes.

Reactions: alamilla

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Several people have asked about dual 240mm radiators.

I was wondering, is that something you all are seriously considering or is it just curiosity about the possibility?

Reactions: Brian

Isomer

Trash Compacter
Feb 10, 2016
Several people have asked about dual 240mm radiators.

I was wondering, is that something you all are seriously considering or is it just curiosity about the possibility?

I would seriously consider putting dual 240 radiators if it was possible. I would have one on the bottom and one on the side bracket. The NCase M1 allows you to have a radiator on the side bracket because the SFX PSU bracket positions the PSU with the fan facing the side, allowing for that configuration. I would mod the Cerberus the same way if I were to do dual 240 radiators.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The NCase M1 allows you to have a radiator on the side bracket because the SFX PSU bracket positions the PSU with the fan facing the side, allowing for that configuration. I would mod the Cerberus the same way if I were to do dual 240 radiators.

The difference in how the M1 and Cerberus orients the SFX PSU is due to the extra depth of microATX vs Mini-ITX. So would you have the PSU aligned like the M1 but in front of the motherboard?

hiepphotog

Caliper Novice
Feb 2, 2016
A 240mm radiator with front intake is good for me. Extra cool air to the graphics card can be provided from the bottom.

There is already a 20L case that can take 3x240 radiators (project mATX). It would be my choice if I need more than one 240.

Brian

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
Hey Guys;

As I mentioned during my introduction, I'm coming back to PC gaming after 10+ years hiatus. This time around I plan on overclocking/water-cooling (AIO) to squeeze the most power because it will be a gaming and VR rig. I've been exploring my form factor options and mATX seems to be a good size for power (SLI) and size. I love how Cerberus looks and will most likely go for handle and window accessories.

Now I come to you guys for some advice on my planned build to see if can fit:
  • Asus Gene
  • Samsumg 950 Pro M.2 + 850 Evo SSD
  • i7 6700k (120 or 140 mm rad )
  • EVGA 980 TI Hybrid (120mm rad)
  • Reference 980 TI Blower style
    • Since the Gene SLI setup is the short bridge, I might be able to have 2 slim fans at the bottom 5th PCI Slot space

If I choose the ATX build (to allow at least 850 watts for SLI) will I be able to have 2 single 120 mm rads fit in the front? (CPU + GPU)
or SFX-L version (700 w) with the CPU 120 or 140mm rad on side bracket and GPU 120 mm rad below PSU (even if using a slim fan?

I know this case is mostly envisioned for air cooled setups and for more water cooled driven setup I can go with Project mATX by @Jeffinslaw but I really like Cerberus look, especially with the handle as I plan to bring it around for VR Demos.

I greatly appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.