Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
yash, and it looks really good because of the metal's shine and the contrast. the tool costs $70 with the replacement bits being $20, but i'm not sure how long they last, although they should last a while as you are engraving plastic and steel, and not marble and granite. Then all you need is a cnc of some sort, which Sliger should already have.

If that's all the tooling costs I'm not worried about that, it's the time. Since the cases are being made in America and not some sweatshop in a 3rd world country the labor costs are high. Silkscreen is fairly quick and easy to apply compared to engraving.

It sure does look nice though so I'll think about it.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
If that's all the tooling costs I'm not worried about that, it's the time. Since the cases are being made in America and not some sweatshop in a 3rd world country the labor costs are high. Silkscreen is fairly quick and easy to apply compared to engraving.

Yep, think about it, talk to your crafters, Eeeeither way, i'm sure it will work out. :D
Good job guys, Really like this case.

david

Cable Smoosher
Feb 12, 2016

oh, engraved on the removable plate is so more appropriate for a limited production, i imagine the aesthetic of engraving will recoup or at least reasonably mitigate the losses incurred by being the more expensive process, as it makes the product more appealing you can up the initial production numbers or the initial buy-in cost and people will feel like they are getting value and that it's not a money-grab.

Last edited:

david

Cable Smoosher
Feb 12, 2016
an initial run of 500 @ a $40 premium isn't unreasonable if they were engraved, i don't think i could say that about silk-screening. you'd need to wait longer between releases. differentiate yourself from the competition even more by getting it right the 1st time rather than releasing 5 different versions of the same thing, invest your future time in completely different projects. engraving 500 things couldn't take longer than 25 hours. @ $20/hr that's ~$500 invested but more than $500 gained in additonal sales, as @ $40/unit gross you only need to entice an extra dozen people off the fence vs the same situation with silk-screen.

you seem to be settled on $250/unit (that'd better include a handle!). i'd like the option to give you $290 for an engraved 1st edition, that's all :) this concept is repeatable if you ever re-brand with 3rd parties like falcon northwest.

TLDR;
if engraving increases initial sales by >2-3% it is a good investment assuming you can sell ~500 units, which you can if you commit to your prototype.

Last edited:
Reactions: tedlas

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Expediting of shipping wouldn't be of a whole lot of benefit to me personally; I'll still have to pay horrendous import taxes here in the UK unless it's marked as a gift :p
Wait wait wait, so this "marked as a gift" really works ?! I've never had this work for me. Although everything came from China. While this is still fraudulent, how is this ever considered true, being a gift ? I've always wondered this for review samples, I'd hate to be on the receiving end for reviewing something ridiculous like a Geforce Titan and having to pay hundreds of euro. Or are the import duties and tax paid by the sender in that example ?

You can just get the atx version and use an adapter plate ($8), and put the sfx psu where the atx psu goes.
Even though I have an SFX-L PSU and will be getting one later this year, I would still like the option to exist to be able to modify the case to ATX-PSU support. Since the power cable seems to be the problem and the price of the case the same for both SFX and ATX version, maybe it's possible to have just more of the ATX brackets made, about 20-25% of the SFX cases sold ?
This could allow a purely ATX-PSU version, purely SFX-PSU version or SFX/ATX version with a small added cost ?

While logistically this could be a lot more difficult, you could just focus on those three versions and have accessories dealt seperately.
Maybe think about having an "accessories shop" after the sales, I've seen people asking Ncase for panel kits, feet, clips, screws, brackets, power extension cables, ODD or No-ODD top panels, etc etc.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Wait wait wait, so this "marked as a gift" really works ?! I've never had this work for me. Although everything came from China. While this is still fraudulent, how is this ever considered true, being a gift ? I've always wondered this for review samples, I'd hate to be on the receiving end for reviewing something ridiculous like a Geforce Titan and having to pay hundreds of euro. Or are the import duties and tax paid by the sender in that example ?
I have friends & family in the States who have sent me gifts but also kindly forwarded on American purchases.

I am not going to vouch for the legality of this nor do I know anything about the financial technicalities, but I have never had any problems.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's not legal for such cases, and in the eyes of Customs, a gift is just like any other parcel unless you prove otherwise :)

Source: Insider knowledge

Reactions: alamilla

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Not only is marking a non-gift as a gift illegal, but when you have a large number (10-20?) of the same package arriving in the country with the same sender, same packaging, and same contents marked as a 'gift'? Customs & Excise aren't going to miss that, and at the very least the shipments will be impounded and likely returned to sender (at their expense). Fines may also be levied.
For review parts, a temporary import license may be used to avoid paying tax/duty (either under an ATA Carnet, or a Temporary Admission scheme under the review/testing purposes exemption). Permanent imports still need to pay tax/duty though. Whether that works in practice for multinational companies that can ship to themselves for testing than reship internally is another matter.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Not only is marking a non-gift as a gift illegal, but when you have a large number (10-20?) of the same package arriving in the country with the same sender, same packaging, and same contents marked as a 'gift'? Customs & Excise aren't going to miss that, and at the very least the shipments will be impounded and likely returned to sender (at their expense). Fines may also be levied.
For review parts, a temporary import license may be used to avoid paying tax/duty (either under an ATA Carnet, or a Temporary Admission scheme under the review/testing purposes exemption). Permanent imports still need to pay tax/duty though. Whether that works in practice for multinational companies that can ship to themselves for testing than reship internally is another matter.

This, all of this.

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Great job with the media coverage so far, just saw an article pop up on the biggest tech site in my country.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe it's this one: https://tweakers.net/nieuws/108235/...dingcampagne-voor-extra-kleine-matx-case.html

It's the largest Dutch-speaking tech website and forum, with 90 million page views a month and 500.000 community members, it has quite the userbase.

A slightly corrected Google Translate:

The US startup Kimera Industries says it has completed its draft of the additional small mATX Computer Case Cerberus and on March 1 start the associated IndieGoGo campaign.

The American company is finalizing the design and the announced campaign on its blog. The housing, where the two men behind the company have worked on since 2014, has a capacity of 18.2 liters. That's less than the Silverstone FT03 and the Corsair Carbide Air 240 and even less than some mini-ITX enclosures. About the measurements, Cerberus comes in at 303mm high, 170mm wide and 354mm deep. Nevertheless, the authors argue that in this case fits a mATX motherboard and two full size graphics cards. Also, there is a variant of the housing where an ATX power supply fits. The standard design is made for an SFX power supply.

The housing will be available in black and white, with red, blue and dark gray as optional stretch goals within the campaign. The design of the exterior of the housing is deliberately kept minimal, and in order to reinforce this appearance is the front panel I / O in the course of the design process is also moved to the top. Will also be options a handle on the top and a partially transparent side panel.

To offer system builders flexibility in installing components in the small interior of the Cerberus, Kimera does away with most screw holes. Instead of holes, which predetermine where the parts can be installed, the company uses Infinite Vents. These are ventilation meshes to which mounting clips can be mounted for drives, fans and radiators. About those fans and radiators: Kimera promises that there is room for fans of 140mm in diameter but also 240mm radiators.

Kimera has already put on its website which party will be responsible for manufacturing the housings. For this the company has taken an American manufacturer under its arm. Possibly Kimera invests so much attention to informing potential backers about the case and its production, because it's their first product. That does not mean that the Kimera Cerberus has no chance of success: the Ncase M1, a crowdfunded mini-ITX enclosure is the product of a very similar process. How much Cerberus will cost at Indie Gogo, is not known.

Last edited:

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Yes, that's the one :). I posted the link to this thread in the comments section of the article, so if people have any questions about the case they can post here.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I have seen all surface types of Powdercoating silk screened with great success. You can paint most types of Powdercoating easy peasy, though Teflon based stuff might be harder.

This thread blew up. Exciting!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
an initial run of 500 @ a $40 premium isn't unreasonable if they were engraved, i don't think i could say that about silk-screening. you'd need to wait longer between releases. differentiate yourself from the competition even more by getting it right the 1st time rather than releasing 5 different versions of the same thing, invest your future time in completely different projects. engraving 500 things couldn't take longer than 25 hours. @ $20/hr that's ~$500 invested but more than $500 gained in additonal sales, as @ $40/unit gross you only need to entice an extra dozen people off the fence vs the same situation with silk-screen.

you seem to be settled on $250/unit (that'd better include a handle!). i'd like the option to give you $290 for an engraved 1st edition, that's all :) this concept is repeatable if you ever re-brand with 3rd parties like falcon northwest.

I'll have to get some pricing on engraving to figure out how feasible it is.

$250 is the base model, so ATX or SFX. Handle and window are extra.

Even though I have an SFX-L PSU and will be getting one later this year, I would still like the option to exist to be able to modify the case to ATX-PSU support. Since the power cable seems to be the problem and the price of the case the same for both SFX and ATX version, maybe it's possible to have just more of the ATX brackets made, about 20-25% of the SFX cases sold ?
This could allow a purely ATX-PSU version, purely SFX-PSU version or SFX/ATX version with a small added cost ?

While logistically this could be a lot more difficult, you could just focus on those three versions and have accessories dealt seperately.
Maybe think about having an "accessories shop" after the sales, I've seen people asking Ncase for panel kits, feet, clips, screws, brackets, power extension cables, ODD or No-ODD top panels, etc etc.

Converting the ATX version to SFX isn't too difficult, it'd just need an adapter plate (though I'll have to check if there would be room for the tubing holes). So we could possibly offer that since it's more likely for someone to start with an ATX unit and move to SFX later than the other way.

Accessories we'll have to see how the campaign goes and what the demand is for parts afterward.

It's not legal for such cases, and in the eyes of Customs, a gift is just like any other parcel unless you prove otherwise

Right. We will not be marking the case as a gift so don't ask.

It's the largest Dutch-speaking tech website and forum, with 90 million page views a month and 500.000 community members, it has quite the userbase.

Wow, that's quite a few members! So are all the Dutch-speaking PC enthusiasts consolidated there?

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
I
Wow, that's quite a few members! So are all the Dutch-speaking PC enthusiasts consolidated there?

Pretty much. There's another site (nl.hardware.info) that's a popular tech news source as well, but its forums aren't really that active as far as I know.

Gnrl Kitty

Chassis Packer
Oct 22, 2015
@Aibohphobia It's not very clear from the pictures, but is the power button on the Cerberus one of those vandal resistant switches? If so, you're gods. If not, can the power button be replaced with one either as an add-on option or as a mod once we get it in our hands? I saw a few people replace the power buttons on their NCASE M1's and loved that.