Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

zombie343

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2016
Can this be used with an Asrock X99 ITX motherboard, i7-5930 CPU and an ATX PSU? (I'm really unhappy with the NCASE M1 and would buy this case in heartbeat if it fits my components). If it works, I'll gladly switch to an AIO liquid CPU cooler for my narrow-ILM socket.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A new job took me to halfway across the world but I love it here! It's beautiful, people are beautiful, food is incredible!

Sounds like paradise!

Political landscape is troublesome though and there are a bunch of pansy-ass terrorists who just won't leave the people be
And then there is the neighboring Syria and Iraq and Iran, and not far there is Crimea and Palestine and all the Arab Spring countries

Oh

Do you ship to Istanbul?

We should be able to. Places like Syria and maybe Russia are out of the question but I'm pretty sure Turkey is still ok.

I know you've already said it somewhere but with all my excitement i forgot, If I bought the ATX version would I be able to mount an SFX power supply in its intended location at a later date when i can actually find one for sale that will support my pair of 970s and my hunger for overclocking the cods out of my CPU? long question I know and I didn't want to bother you too much cos you have literally being on the forum all day answering questions.

The photos made me all weak kneed and turgid. it that the ITX prodigy in the photos?

You could maybe order the SFX bracket as a spare part but you'll need to come up with something to fill the hole where the ATX PSU would go and mount the AC extension.

Yes, it's an ITX Prodigy I have sitting around from an abandoned case mod project.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And don't you forget who first recommended installing a side mounted AIO with a bracket, AND the front panel design! Hint hint! :D

I remember :)

Can this be used with an Asrock X99 ITX motherboard, i7-5930 CPU and an ATX PSU? (I'm really unhappy with the NCASE M1 and would buy this case in heartbeat if it fits my components). If it works, I'll gladly switch to an AIO liquid CPU cooler for my narrow-ILM socket.

Yes it'll fit an ITX board without issue. The only problem is some flexATX boards that use mounting hole S but are still tall enough to touch mounting hole R

I tried using threaded standoffs in the prototype but they had to be custom made since there was so little room between the motherboard tray and the back panel. I wasn't happy with them though so we went with pressed-in standoffs. Stronger and you can't lose them but it means Cerberus doesn't technically adhere to the mATX spec. But every mATX board worth putting in a $250 case uses hole R so I'm not worried.

Why don't you like the M1 though?

Looks pronominal. Count me in for a one with a handle. Would love it in red though!

I hope we hit the goal for red because it does look good. To be clear though, for all color options the handle will be black.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Another long time lurker here!

My interest in the M1 is what first led me to SFF.
I want something small, portable but crucially expandable.
Unfortunately, ITX I still feel has two many compromises and ever since I first caught wind of your project last Summer I have been keeping a close eye on the forum.

The standard configuration looks ideal for my requirements i.e. 1 GPU, 1 PCIe SSD, Thunderbolt card (hopefully Broadwell-E will negate the need for the latter with someone releasing an mATX board with TB3).

Many congratulations on getting thus far and you can sign me up!

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The standard configuration looks ideal for my requirements i.e. 1 GPU, 1 PCIe SSD, Thunderbolt card (hopefully Broadwell-E will negate the need for the latter with someone releasing an mATX board with TB3).

Thunderbolt is so promising but it's frustrating that there are so few SFF boards that can use it.

@Aibohphobia Have you guys spoken to that woman on Etsy that did custom carrying bags for the Ncase M1 about doing something similar for the Cerberus?

No, she quit doing the M1 bags so I figured she wouldn't be interested.

Horstprott

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
You could maybe order the SFX bracket as a spare part but you'll need to come up with something to fill the hole where the ATX PSU would go and mount the AC extension.

Yes, it's an ITX Prodigy I have sitting around from an abandoned case mod project.[/QUOTE]

Horstprott

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016

Yes, it's an ITX Prodigy I have sitting around from an abandoned case mod project.
[/QUOTE

Great news, Its a ways off at the moment but if the right SFX supply is not on the shelves in time, there are a few of us who may have to look at this option for the time being. Just as an interim solution you understand.

Speaking for myself I have access to a machine shop when i'm home in the UK so filling the blank and making it look natural should not be a major problem.

Mind if Silverstone gets their thumbs from up their arses this may be a total non issue. :D

qulmanaqim

What's an ITX?
Feb 10, 2016
I hope we hit the goal for red because it does look good. To be clear though, for all color options the handle will be black.

Thats nice! I was hoping to get the handle option and a black Cerberus.

The bags made for the M1 looks nice too. Its unfortunate we cant have it for Cerberus.

Will you guys ship to Malaysia though?

Horstprott

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
[/QUOTE

Great news, Its a ways off at the moment but if the right SFX supply is not on the shelves in time, there are a few of us who may have to look at this option for the time being. Just as an interim solution you understand.

Speaking for myself I have access to a machine shop when i'm home in the UK so filling the blank and making it look natural should not be a major problem.

Mind if Silverstone gets their thumbs from up their arses this may be a total non issue. :D

Just to be clear Abio posted the original quote ,just my incompetence with trying to edit the text made it say that. im so inept at typing also.
lucky i have other skills or id be screwed

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Thunderbolt is so promising but it's frustrating that there are so few SFF boards that can use it.
I know right!?

The protocol looks like it will be seeing more widespread adoption with a slew of new products announced at CES but other than the few ATX boards by Gigabyte and ASUS it still looks like a while before it will gain real traction in the custom build world.

My interest in Thunderbolt predominantly lies with audio interfaces (I am not a gamer) so if Gigabyte could produce an mATX version of their recently announced X99P-SLI board that would be IDEAL.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Will you guys ship to Malaysia though?

We should be able to ship most any country other than obviously problematic ones like Syria. Of course, customs and other fees are your responsibility.

Just to be clear Abio posted the original quote ,just my incompetence with trying to edit the text made it say that. im so inept at typing also.
lucky i have other skills or id be screwed

Don't worry, I make use of the edit button all the time.

My interest in Thunderbolt predominantly lies with audio interfaces (I am not a gamer) so if Gigabyte could produce an mATX version of their recently announced X99P-SLI board that would be IDEAL.

Gigabyte has enabled Thunderbolt via BIOS updates on a few Z170 boards after they shipped, I guess they were waiting on certification. But if you want X99 you'll probably have to wait for Broadwell-E because I don't see the mobo manufacturers refreshing before then.

Gnrl Kitty

Chassis Packer
Oct 22, 2015
Huh... so looking at the renders, is there no way to mount more than 2x120mm or 1x240mm radiators with two GPUs?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Huh... so looking at the renders, is there no way to mount more than 2x120mm or 1x240mm radiators with two GPUs?

You could maybe do dual 240mm with an ATX PSU but it'll be tight. Cerberus isn't really designed for dual-GPU and multiple 240mm rads, there just isn't room.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Dangit, Kimera Industries, why'd you guys have to go and make this case more versatile? Now I have to buy two because now it also meets my requirements for a kitbashed Xpenology server. The new side bracket is pretty much exactly what I asked for in the original thread. Time to figure out if acrylic paint will stick to powder coats, I guess.

Oh and rather than a pedantic rant about units of volumetric measurement, I have these questions:
1) How's the vibration on the new drive brackets?
2) How's air flow and noise with the Infinite Vents compared with the previously more open design?
3) Why not the interchangeable plates for different PSU types? Two frames seems disadvantageous if you change your mind later.

Last edited:

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
But if you want X99 you'll probably have to wait for Broadwell-E because I don't see the mobo manufacturers refreshing before then.
Yeah, that was my plan.
I know you've pencilled in June (which should coincide with the release of Broadwell-E) but the Asrock X99M Extreme 4 was my other option.

I'm a big fan of the NZXT AIOs so this case will be perfect!

Gnrl Kitty

Chassis Packer
Oct 22, 2015
You could maybe do dual 240mm with an ATX PSU but it'll be tight. Cerberus isn't really designed for dual-GPU and multiple 240mm rads, there just isn't room.

I should have been more clear but I was actually wondering if a combined 240mm+120mm is possible with 2xGPUs since 1x120mm/component is recommended.

edit: I agree with PNP about the interchangeable plates.

Last edited:

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Finally!! Haven't posted in a while but I've been lurking like a bunch of ppl here lol. Count me in for one as soon as crowdfunding starts. And as PNP stated I have to agree with him on the interchangeable plates. Would have been a great idea.