Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Just a thought, in the big production run, would you be able to order an extra set of different colour panels? It's nice to be able to switch without re-coating the panels.
I assume it would be more problematic to ship though.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Just had the thought to ask: how far ahead are the plans currently? Because I just thought of those USB-C frontpanel headers, and now USB3 Gen2 having their own motherboard plug and all...

I mean I'm already commited to an X99 board, but out of curiosity if the case manages to last as long as the PC it's containing

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I assume it would be more problematic to ship though.

That's the issue, the studs on the panels make them difficult to ship by themselves without them damaging each other. We'll see.

Because I just thought of those USB-C frontpanel headers, and now USB3 Gen2 having their own motherboard plug and all...

We will be sticking with regular USB 3.0 headers for now. It's too early for those USB 3.1 Type-C headers.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks, now i need to check dimensions of waterblock/pump, once i receive the case. I have all spare parts to check lots of stuff..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I wanted to open a new thread about cpu cooler choice in a cerberus, but I won't as the choice is clearly obvious (as long you are using sfx/sfx-l psu) : it's the Noctua nh-c14s with dual nf-a14 ppc industrial 2000 pwm fans as intake.

First this cpu cooler both performs in close range of noctua d15 on both oc 6700k or x99 cpu :
Oc 6700k : https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-C14S/6.html

On core i7 3960x : http://www.ginjfo.com/dossiers/test...ement/test-nh-c14s-ventirad-noctua-20160229/5

Like noctua d15 it performs similarly like 240 aio...so i don't see why not choosing nh-c14s..:)

Ps : this noctua nh-c14s is also cooling all motherboard components..:)

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For air the C14S is my recommendation if nothing else needs to be mounted to the side bracket.

For an AIO I'd recommend a 140mm rad with a short block, pivotable ports, and flexible tubing, like the NZXT X41.

Reactions: Phuncz

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Why two fans? They seem to perform within the margin of error in the first test?
I suppose two might spin slower, but it is too bad they didn't measure rpm or sound under load.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, I don't see any reason to put two fans on the C14S in Cerberus. The top fan has direct airflow from the side vent so there's no need for an additional fan, especially since the heatsink fins aren't that densely spaced.

Reactions: Phuncz

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
When you all get the preproduction order units in (or if you have and still have them) will you post a pic of the cerberus and the x side by side? We've seen the renders but the real thing would be magic. (BTW I know there are plenty of pics of the matx, but I want one of the big Cerby :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: jsco

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nova is quite different but I don't have it anymore.

Cerberus-00 to Cerberus-01 will look almost identical. It's mostly minor fixes based on my testing of the prototype.

joneidy

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 11, 2016
Oh man I missed the pre production run for the case :( Is there any way to order a case if any people back out? The case is the only missing piece to finish my build.

Thanks for your time.

Reactions: ricochet