Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I could also add that the 2xrazer cerberus laptop were stolen just before end of CES 2017...and now they are on sale in China lol..:D

*googling*
Oh nuts, you weren't kidding. (although they just mention of such an ebayesque auction appearing and disappearing, not a confirmation that some dumb bloke legitimately has it)

Damn, translating this is going to eat into my bedtime. It's times like these when I wish for people who can understand chinese to talk about.

EDIT: oh my god, I'm looking through the articles from various chinese blogs, and turns out almost everyone just lifted the text from each other. ( -_(\

EDITx2: Yeah, most probably fake. Photo originated from CNET's preview

[/offtopic]

Last edited:

BiaxialObject48

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2016
Man, I must be getting on Aibohphobia's nerves with my questions. Guess who's back with more water-cooling inquiries.

I believe the FTW uses a reference length PCB so you could either mount the radiator to the front of the case or the bottom. Here's an Alphacool ST30 mounted to the front:

On post #8 (page 1), there is a picture of two reference cards in SLI, with an Alphacool ST30 mounted to the front. Now, the ST30's thickness is 30mm, and the radiator I was looking at, the EK-CoolStream SE 240, has a thickness of 26mm. I plan on using 2 EK-Vardar F4-120ER PWM fans. If I put 2 Titan X (Pascal) cards under water and in SLI, I guess I would have room for this radiator setup, correct?

Now, looking at the gap between the lower graphics card and the bottom of the case, would there be enough room for another EK-CoolStream SE 240?

PCI slots are 20.32mm tall so subtract that from the measurement if you're talking about the 5th slot.

Also, all dimensions are rounded down.

Again, the thickness of the EK-CoolStream SE 240 is 26mm. Since the graphics cards are under water, I can stuff them close to each other, allowing me to use the ~43mm of space beneath it. That means I have ~17mm for a fan, forcing me to use a slim fan. My other option is to use an ~18mm radiator (which I have never seen) and a 25mm fan.

Also, side note: in the first image, would I be able to fit a tiny pump/reservoir combo in the space between the hard drive (which in my build would be an ATX PSU) and the radiator? I would use a terminal block for multi-GPUs to solve any (flexible) tubing run problems.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Now, the ST30's thickness is 30mm, and the radiator I was looking at, the EK-CoolStream SE 240, has a thickness of 26mm. I plan on using 2 EK-Vardar F4-120ER PWM fans. If I put 2 Titan X (Pascal) cards under water and in SLI, I guess I would have room for this radiator setup, correct?

Right

Again, the thickness of the EK-CoolStream SE 240 is 26mm. Since the graphics cards are under water, I can stuff them close to each other, allowing me to use the ~43mm of space beneath it. That means I have ~17mm for a fan, forcing me to use a slim fan. My other option is to use an ~18mm radiator (which I have never seen) and a 25mm fan.

If you have a single-slot block on the bottom card then you gain another ~20mm, so the fan thickness is not an issue.

The issue with dual 240mm rads is they may interfere at the bottom front corner of the case. To get the most clearance space, you will want to mount the rads to the chassis and the fans on the inside. Even then you may have to use a slim 120mm fan in the either the bottom-front or front-bottom position to clear the other rad.

Also, side note: in the first image, would I be able to fit a tiny pump/reservoir combo in the space between the hard drive (which in my build would be an ATX PSU) and the radiator?

Should be able to.

BiaxialObject48

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2016
I just noticed something. The thickness of the graphics card decreases after the DVI port pins as seen in this image:

For a majority of the card, the thickness is less than half of the thickness of the two PCIe slots, putting the gap between the bottom-front of the graphics card over 51mm, the space needed for a radiator and a standard 25mm thick fan. Of course, a 240mm radiator would run into the same issues as before. If I positioned an EK-CoolStream SE 120 and 120mm fan around the middle of the card, I avoid the issue of any interferences with the front and bottom radiators, while still maintaining a "radiator per device" ratio.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Depending on how much the end tanks on the rad stick out, you could possibly still fit a 240mm on the bottom even with a DVI connector like that.

Though I forgot about it, routing tubing to the bottom rad will be "fun".

BiaxialObject48

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2016
Depending on how much the end tanks on the rad stick out, you could possibly still fit a 240mm on the bottom even with a DVI connector like that.

Though I forgot about it, routing tubing to the bottom rad will be "fun".

Yep, still figuring that part out. I am assuming the terminal pictured above will fit in the case. Something like this may work:

Excuse the bad "photoshop" (I used Imgur's editor). A setup like this would allow me to run tubes from only one location (above the cards), with the outlet labeled "optional" going to the reservoir. There looks to be enough room under the ATX PSU for the tubing, judging from this rendering:

Edit: A nifty trick for those of you trying to use an HB SLI Bridge with the EK terminals is to remove the outer plastic and install the bridge upside down, as seen here:

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, I think it'd be much easier to use a SFX/SFX-L power supply so you have extra room to work with between the cards and the PSU.

BiaxialObject48

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2016
Hmm, I think it'd be much easier to use a SFX/SFX-L power supply so you have extra room to work with between the cards and the PSU.

I guess, but then I wouldn't be able to install a 240mm on the front. It might be possible to install one on the mid-panel, but I wouldn't have space for a reservoir, that being the least of all issues. 2x Titan X Pascals and a 6950X are in the 700W+ range, so there isn't even a choice for SFX/SFX-L.

Just using narrow tubing and angle adapters should be fine. I don't think there will be any interference with he fittings, so some 10/13mm tubing will hopefully go well.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You could mount the SX800-LTI to the rear using the PP08 adapter. Perhaps not as quiet as some ATX units but 800W is sufficient for that setup with a mild overclock.

BiaxialObject48

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2016
You could mount the SX800-LTI to the rear using the PP08 adapter. Perhaps not as quiet as some ATX units but 800W is sufficient for that setup with a mild overclock.

Wow, I didn't know there was an 800W SFX-L unit from Silverstone. I think I may go with that instead of the 1000W EVGA unit I had chosen.

Anyways, thanks so much for your help today, and I'll see you around the forum.

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
Hello,

I have few questions :)

1. If I use SFX-L, can I mount lets say 120mm fan under it or cables would interfere?
  2. When I use 2 * 3,5 HDD in included shelf, can I use 2 slot PCI graphic card? (normal graphic card, nothing large or thick - just 2 slot regular card)
  3. Can I put two 3,5 HDDs on the floor, one next to another? (so whole bottom would be covered by HDDs :) )

Thanks!

BiaxialObject48

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2016
Hey, sorry to bother you, but is the side bracket necessary for ATX PSU mounting? I saw that there is some sort of supporting piece on the side bracket in the ATX PSU rendering.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If I use SFX-L, can I mount lets say 120mm fan under it or cables would interfere?

It would fit just fine. A 140mm may even fit if the modular connectors are offset enough for the fan to squeeze between them and the front of the frame.

When I use 2 * 3,5 HDD in included shelf, can I use 2 slot PCI graphic card? (normal graphic card, nothing large or thick - just 2 slot regular card)

2x 3.5" drives on the HDD bracket will not interfere with the first two slots of the motherboard.

Can I put two 3,5 HDDs on the floor, one next to another?

You would either need to buy another 3.5" drive bracket or find some other way to mount the drives to the case (double-sided tape?), but yes, that is possible.

I think I mocked it up once and in theory you could fit something like 10x 3.5" drives in the case if you really, really wanted to and still have room left for a video card.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No, the vent pattern lines up with fan mounting holes, not to 3.5" drives. Though I guess you could just use screws on one side of the drive and that should be secure enough.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Is there enough room to 'rotate' the drive enough for the holes to line up without hitting the side of the case? Inelegant, but would work in a pinch to get it mounted with no extra hardware.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I was thinking more of keeping the drive mostly lengthwise, and rotating off-centre so the 4 corners all hit vent openings.

Looks like you'd need to be about 17° out of alignment for things to line up.

Reactions: Cutie DarkFae