Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

zugok

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2019
www.artistebot.com
Second post, the first was really a dud. A couple questions concerning the Cerebus X.

I would like to have a USB 3 port, a USB C port, and an audio jack (wired head phones) on the front bezel ( hole will need to be drilled)

Does anyone know of a cable that can replace the existing cable w 1x USB3 1x UBDc ports? Also maybe another cable to setup an audio port. I have looked on Aliexpress but really don't know what terminology to use? I have a Asus x570 TUF WiFi ATX mb.

Has anyone tried moving the front PSU down to make enough room for a 120mm fan in the top front location. The idea is to have a more direct airflow path to a Scythe FUMA CPU cooler.

Cheers

JH

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Second post, the first was really a dud. A couple questions concerning the Cerebus X.

I would like to have a USB 3 port, a USB C port, and an audio jack (wired head phones) on the front bezel ( hole will need to be drilled)

Does anyone know of a cable that can replace the existing cable w 1x USB3 1x UBDc ports? Also maybe another cable to setup an audio port. I have looked on Aliexpress but really don't know what terminology to use? I have a Asus x570 TUF WiFi ATX mb.

Has anyone tried moving the front PSU down to make enough room for a 120mm fan in the top front location. The idea is to have a more direct airflow path to a Scythe FUMA CPU cooler.

Cheers

JH
That is the exact setup Sliger is using for the SM cases, you might PM @KSliger and ask if you can buy one.

Reactions: zugok

Luminair

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
Had a bad experience with an AIO in the past, but am thinking about trying once more.

In the (non-x) Cerberus, are we advising push or pull with a 240mm rad on the bottom? I know push-pull or the inverse would be ideal, but my 1080ti prevents that.

If that's a bust, probably switch to a C14s or Dark Rock TF. Have the latter in my M1 and have had no issues with it.

For the C14s, I understand it's best set up to exhaust out of the side of the case, correct? I have a 92mm on the back, 120mm on top and a 120mm in front as well.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Had a bad experience with an AIO in the past, but am thinking about trying once more.

In the (non-x) Cerberus, are we advising push or pull with a 240mm rad on the bottom? I know push-pull or the inverse would be ideal, but my 1080ti prevents that.

If that's a bust, probably switch to a C14s or Dark Rock TF. Have the latter in my M1 and have had no issues with it.

For the C14s, I understand it's best set up to exhaust out of the side of the case, correct? I have a 92mm on the back, 120mm on top and a 120mm in front as well.

I would recommend pull, with radiator on bottom of case and fans blowing up into case pulling air through radiator. Will give you the lowest noise profile.

For C14S that depends. Best setup is 92mm exhaust on rear and 120mm exhaust on top, with C14S pulling cool air in from vented side panel.

Exhausting out side of case picks up a lot of heat from the GPU and other system parts.

Honestly if you like the C14S I would go with it over a 240mm AIO.

Reactions: Uruk and Luminair

youngdocument

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2018
I've had excellent C14S results with it as exhaust and two 140mm fans on the bottom as exhaust, using the window side panel to create a negative pressure case. The 92mm rear fan is set to intake, and that and the perforated top panel supply fresh air. But I also have a Morpheus II on the GPU with its fans set to exhaust toward the bottom as well. This setup basically puts both the CPU and GPU at 70-75 degrees under load, and Noctua fans keep it pretty quiet/at low RPMs.

Reactions: Luminair

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've had excellent C14S results with it as exhaust and two 140mm fans on the bottom as exhaust, using the window side panel to create a negative pressure case. The 92mm rear fan is set to intake, and that and the perforated top panel supply fresh air. But I also have a Morpheus II on the GPU with its fans set to exhaust toward the bottom as well. This setup basically puts both the CPU and GPU at 70-75 degrees under load, and Noctua fans keep it pretty quiet/at low RPMs.
Here too. I prefer, by far, C14S with exhaust fans on it. It so efficient to remove hot air coming from GPU..:D
Rear 92mm and top 120mm slim are placed as intake.

However I will probably try 92mm AIO Asetek 645LT inside my cerberus-X and compare numbers vs C14S..:D

Uruk

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2019

I had a H100i PRO before and changed it for the NH-C14S (one 92mm rear and two 120mm slims in top, all exhaust), and the results are great. Cooler and quieter GPU, cooler RAM and M.2, and very similar CPU temps.

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
What cpu are you guys using? I have a 2700 overclocked to 4ghz at 1.3v and I’m cooling it with the Kraken x52. In some stress testing I never saw it go above 65c and it was still whisper silent. I can’t imagine the c14s would be better than that. I have the window panel too, so I don’t think my results would be the same.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
What cpu are you guys using? I have a 2700 overclocked to 4ghz at 1.3v and I’m cooling it with the Kraken x52. In some stress testing I never saw it go above 65c and it was still whisper silent. I can’t imagine the c14s would be better than that. I have the window panel too, so I don’t think my results would be the same.
Ryzen 7 3800X, overclock 4.3Ghz@1.31v

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
What do you think is the best orientation for the c14s with a window panel? I take it I’m better off with the Kraken x52 with the window panel?
For my point of view, window panel and C14S are incompatible as window panel will stop all airflow.
Definitely Kraken X52 bottom (with fan placed as exhaust to bottom) is better with window panel.

Reactions: TheHig

youngdocument

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2018
Delidded 7700k at stock for me. Was a scorcher until I delidded it, now it never goes above 75. Probably some OC room but I’m happy with it as is.

I have the top fan bracket but don’t think slim fans will fit up there with the C14S. Must be the placement of the CPU on the board compared with others.

Probably exhaust with the window panel, exhaust on the top if you can fit the fans, and intake on the rear 92mm. Bottom fans will depend on if your GPU can be exhaust or has to be intake. You just want there to be strong case exhaust either at the top or bottom, or both. GPU will get fresh air from the front panel openings, drawn in from negative pressure.

zugok

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2019
www.artistebot.com
I am looking for recommendations on case fan type and placement?

The build consists of:
Cerberus X on the way Grey w solid metal sides.
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Scythe FUMA Rev.B 79 CFM CPU Cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Drive
Western Digital SN750 1 TB NVME
PNY GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Blower Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA GM 650W SFX PSU (this does not have additional 4-pin (12v) ATX power connector, not sure if it will be an issue?)

I will eventually replace the the 2700x w a 3950X in about a year or so once prices have dropped a bit.
I picked the EVGA SuperNOVA GM 650W SFX PSU because it seems that SFX PSU's are pricey right now and it was the lowest price for a min of 650w.
It will be used as a workstation for 3D modeling and rendering w dual monitors. Little to no overclock, looking for stability and low noise.

Based upon this build by rcradiator, it seems that 2x 120mm fan intake on the bottom and 92mm exhaust fan in the back will be suitable? Would prefer a Negative pressure case (dust?) but will have Demci-Filter dust filters in-place)

Seems the corsair ML120's will work but wondering if a less expensive model of fan can provide similar cooling a noise levels (DEEPCOOL RF120M..)?

Also debating eventually replacing the blower with a Morpheus II wfans if they can help w heat and noise levels?

Here is my Pcpicker part list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zugok/saved/#view=jfnZf7

This is a replacement build for my ~8 yr old Dell 990 Mt i7. It also may replace ( or simply be used in conjunction with..) my 2010 Mac Pro w Dual x5690's.

Will post photos when I have all the parts I need.

Cheers

JH

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I am looking for recommendations on case fan type and placement?

The build consists of:
Cerberus X on the way Grey w solid metal sides.
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Scythe FUMA Rev.B 79 CFM CPU Cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Drive
Western Digital SN750 1 TB NVME
PNY GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Blower Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA GM 650W SFX PSU (this does not have additional 4-pin (12v) ATX power connector, not sure if it will be an issue?)

I will eventually replace the the 2700x w a 3950X in about a year or so once prices have dropped a bit.
I picked the EVGA SuperNOVA GM 650W SFX PSU because it seems that SFX PSU's are pricey right now and it was the lowest price for a min of 650w.
It will be used as a workstation for 3D modeling and rendering w dual monitors. Little to no overclock, looking for stability and low noise.

Based upon this build by rcradiator, it seems that 2x 120mm fan intake on the bottom and 92mm exhaust fan in the back will be suitable? Would prefer a Negative pressure case (dust?) but will have Demci-Filter dust filters in-place)

Seems the corsair ML120's will work but wondering if a less expensive model of fan can provide similar cooling a noise levels (DEEPCOOL RF120M..)?

Also debating eventually replacing the blower with a Morpheus II wfans if they can help w heat and noise levels?

Here is my Pcpicker part list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zugok/saved/#view=jfnZf7

This is a replacement build for my ~8 yr old Dell 990 Mt i7. It also may replace ( or simply be used in conjunction with..) my 2010 Mac Pro w Dual x5690's.

Will post photos when I have all the parts I need.

Cheers

JH
Welcome on Cerberus-X club...:D

Main question will come from your side panel type.
Have you taken vented?windowed?solid? (you mention grey solid)

If you are using solid/windowed side panel, i won't recommend you to use tower cpu cooler...performance will be disappointing as you won't have proper breathing airflow.

For aircooler, I advise you to use vented side panel and Noctua C14S, especially if you are planning to move to 3950X.

Generally with solid/windowed panel, recommendation is to go for 240 AIO/watercooling radiator placed on bottom with fan in exhaust position, and add a fan on front panel as intake. All fans near CPU in exhaust mode.

zugok

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2019
www.artistebot.com
Hey Marc, I appreciate the welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

I have no experience w AIO cooling, I have asked Sliger to add the vented left side panel to add some flexibility. Never the less will stay w the Scythe Fuma for now w the 2700x. Also switched the Corsair SF750 so maybe that will mitigate heat a bit more too.

Based upon your advice and some reading I will have 2-3x 120mm fans as intake, 1x120mm 1x92mm exhaust top and back respectively. (leaning towards Corsair Ml120 or Noctua NF-F12 2000)

I remain open to fan suggestions.

I will hold-off on replacing the GPU blower for now, as my budget is blown into pieces.

Cheers
JH

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hey Marc, I appreciate the welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

I have no experience w AIO cooling, I have asked Sliger to add the vented left side panel to add some flexibility. Never the less will stay w the Scythe Fuma for now w the 2700x. Also switched the Corsair SF750 so maybe that will mitigate heat a bit more too.

Based upon your advice and some reading I will have 2-3x 120mm fans as intake, 1x120mm 1x92mm exhaust top and back respectively. (leaning towards Corsair Ml120 or Noctua NF-F12 2000)

I remain open to fan suggestions.

I will hold-off on replacing the GPU blower for now, as my budget is blown into pieces.

Cheers
JH
No issue..:)

I will be very interested in your thermals, either on pure cpu load (ie Intel Burn Test 2.54) or demanding 3D load (uncapped framerate, pushing to max power consumption of your gpu.:))

zugok

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2019
www.artistebot.com
I wanted to find a ATX case that is 7" or less in width, as I have found only the Thermaltake Core G3 and the Cerberus X are.

This system is a replacement for my Dell Optiplex 990 i7MT and that case is also just under 7" wide. I was tempted to buy an old 990 case and use it but it seemed to be risky and time consuming.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I wanted to find a ATX case that is 7" or less in width, as I have found only the Thermaltake Core G3 and the Cerberus X are.

This system is a replacement for my Dell Optiplex 990 i7MT and that case is also just under 7" wide. I was tempted to buy an old 990 case and use it but it seemed to be risky and time consuming.
Does that mean you don’t have space on side of your case?
I got this kind of constraint in the past.
When will your setup to be ready? Eager to see results..:)