Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thank you so much. This is very informative.

You're absolutely correct. The motherboard is a Z390 chipset, with i9900K. I'm not planning to overclock it, so I'm very pleased to know this information you've just told me.

I thought plugging both EPS would be better, than neglecting PEG completely. But it seems like I don't really need two power connectors for the EPS.
I confirm that even on X399 threadripper MB, you don't need second EPS 8pins if you are not planning to OC beefy CPU too.

I still don't know if I will update my system this year, either with Ryzen 3000 series cpu with/without changing MB.
This Aorus X570 extreme (with fanless X570) is an expensive monster...

https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10
Ryzen 9 3950X + Aorus X570 Extreme is awesome but worth 1350$...:D

Reactions: MuffinCrumbs

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
I confirm that even on X399 threadripper MB, you don't need second EPS 8pins if you are not planning to OC beefy CPU too.

I still don't know if I will update my system this year, either with Ryzen 3000 series cpu with/without changing MB.
This Aorus X570 extreme (with fanless X570) is an expensive monster...

https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10
Ryzen 9 3950X + Aorus X570 Extreme is awesome but worth 1350$...:D

I've never heard of a motherboard costing that much. Sounds like a dealbreaker, even for those who'd have the money for it. Not sure if it is, however.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've never heard of a motherboard costing that much. Sounds like a dealbreaker, even for those who'd have the money for it. Not sure if it is, however.
Apparenlty top end of Motherboard are reaching 600$ nowadays...

Strangely enough I guess best MB to jump on Zen 2 will remain B450/X470 motherboards...to be checked in 3 weeks, with first reviews..:D

greg.chalk

Cable Smoosher
Mar 21, 2018
Hello,
I want to confirm that you can put 2×240 radiators in Cerberus with normal thick 25mm fans, as long as the radiators are 27mm thick. I suggest darkside radiators.
Cerberus

Reactions: Arie

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
Hello,
I want to confirm that you can put 2×240 radiators in Cerberus with normal thick 25mm fans, as long as the radiators are 27mm thick. I suggest darkside radiators.
Cerberus

Hi,

I'm not sure if I can be to much help. But I can try, till someone with more knowledge replies to you.
Here is a link to Cerberus Specs.

I myself, got a Cerberus X, a bit larger than the Cerberus. Perhaps quite much larger, in regards to certain things. I had the problem that I couldn't fit 140mm/25mm thick fans on my 280mm radiator, if the radiator was laid on the bottom. As the fans were hitting the PCI slot, and some of the connectors. So I replaced the 140mm fans, with 120mm.

I'm not sure, but this could likely be an issue with Cerberus, if it got 240mm rad with 120mm fans. Perhaps not, because the only difference with Cerberus and Cerberus X, is the height, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong. But my suggestion is that you should definitely check if other passive (non-removable/adjustable) things don't hit it.

Also, keep in mind, at the end of the radiator, there is pipings/tubings, and this takes place too. This might take a lot of space, to not allow two 240mm radiators. And of course, there might be no wriggle room. Not that it matters, when it comes wriggle room, as long as it fits and functions.

I got Corsair H115i Pro in mine, and its radiator is 29mm. When it comes to its fitting, I'm not sure 2mm less would make much difference. Perhaps it would.

You could also look up some pictures, and analyse how others have dome it. I would think, it could perhaps work with one 140mm and one 240mm in the bottom. Probably also depends on the hardware you got, and the clearance it lets you have. Not entirely sure.

Hope this helps, meanwhile someone with better knowledge in this area can help you. Maybe it'll give you something to think about, I don't know. :-)

Edit:
Found out I misread the original post. Sorry.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Hello,
Cerberus

You could also look up some pictures, and analyse how others have dome it.

I do not think the poster is asking about dual 240s in a Cerberus, but stating that it can be done; then they present pics of same, did you even look at those...?

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
I do not think the poster is asking about dual 240s in a Cerberus, but stating that it can be done; then they present pics of same, did you even look at those...?

Pardon me. I thought he meant dual, when he mentioned 2x240s. What else would that possibly mean?

I don’t think there is any implication that I have stated it’d work. However, from the short text you’ve quoted me from, I’d assume one can understand what to do with their own builds by looking at pictures or perhaps reading some build logs.

Perhaps it was wrong of me to mention the original poster to look up pictures.

I am actually fully blind, so I do not look at pictures. Although, that said, I get assistance from an assistant, friends and family.

I’m not sure if you entirely read my comment. Anyway, I’m glad this thread exists, so we can give input to each other on what works and what doesn’t. :-)

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Pardon me. I thought he meant dual, when he mentioned 2x240s. What else would that possibly mean?

I don’t think there is any implication that I have stated it’d work. However, from the short text you’ve quoted me from, I’d assume one can understand what to do with their own builds by looking at pictures or perhaps reading some build logs.

Perhaps it was wrong of me to mention the original poster to look up pictures.

I am actually fully blind, so I do not look at pictures. Although, that said, I get assistance from an assistant, friends and family.

I’m not sure if you entirely read my comment. Anyway, I’m glad this thread exists, so we can give input to each other on what works and what doesn’t. :-)

Again, the poster is NOT asking if it can be done, they are CONFIRMING what they have done; and include a link to pics of the same...

Reactions: MuffinCrumbs

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Wanted some input as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Cerberus X for my next build.

I'm thinking of going with the Cerberus X so I can fit a full size ATX board in it, just for the extra flexibility that'll give in terms of upgrading stuff in the future. My rough plan right now is:
+ White Cerberus X with chrome handle, side window and black vented top
+ one of the new Ryzen CPUs (still waffling between the 3900X, 3800X and 3700X... waiting for benchmarks)
+ a full size ATX board (X470 or X570?)
+ Corsair H110i Platinum 240mm AIO
+ a Corsair SF750
+ 2 NVME SSDs + 1 2.5 inch SSD + an 8TB 3.5 inch drive (used for Plex) +
+ either a EVGA 2080 or 2080 Ti
+ 2 x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 memory

All of that should fit in the Cerberus X, right? With the X, I'm going for a mostly all white build, hence the white Corsair memory and the white AIO and wanted the full side window on the Cerberus. I was thinking of putting the PSU in the front of the case, so you could see the AIO and all the RGB nonsense on the inside.

Questions!

- If I place the PSU in the front and have the handle, where does that leave possible mounting spots for my 3.5 inch drive?
From what I've gathered going through the forum, I'd maybe have room to stick it vertically along the front of the case under the PSU? Or maybe even in one of the expansion slots using the HDD bracket. I'm assuming if I'm mounting the PSU in the front corner, the only room I'd have for the AIO radiator would be the bottom, hence ruling out putting the HDD down there.

- Would any of the mounting options of the 3.5 inch listed above completely choke out airflow in the case to the point of not being feasible?

- With the above components, is the SF750 overkill or would a SF600 suffice?

- With all of the above, am I right in thinking that the only places to mount some extra case fans would then be under the handle mount at the top and the rear 92mm fan? And then possibly a front 120mm fan under the PSU, if I can mount the 3.5 inch drive on the expansion bracket?

I guess I'm just looking for some affirmation that all of this stuff could work reasonably in a Cerberus X since I'm new to SFF cases and it seems crazy to cram all of this stuff into a relatively compact case!

Reactions: KSliger

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
Wanted some input as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Cerberus X for my next build.

I'm thinking of going with the Cerberus X so I can fit a full size ATX board in it, just for the extra flexibility that'll give in terms of upgrading stuff in the future. My rough plan right now is:
+ White Cerberus X with chrome handle, side window and black vented top
+ one of the new Ryzen CPUs (still waffling between the 3900X, 3800X and 3700X... waiting for benchmarks)
+ a full size ATX board (X470 or X570?)
+ Corsair H110i Platinum 240mm AIO
+ a Corsair SF750
+ 2 NVME SSDs + 1 2.5 inch SSD + an 8TB 3.5 inch drive (used for Plex) +
+ either a EVGA 2080 or 2080 Ti
+ 2 x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 memory

All of that should fit in the Cerberus X, right? With the X, I'm going for a mostly all white build, hence the white Corsair memory and the white AIO and wanted the full side window on the Cerberus. I was thinking of putting the PSU in the front of the case, so you could see the AIO and all the RGB nonsense on the inside.

Questions!

- If I place the PSU in the front and have the handle, where does that leave possible mounting spots for my 3.5 inch drive?
From what I've gathered going through the forum, I'd maybe have room to stick it vertically along the front of the case under the PSU? Or maybe even in one of the expansion slots using the HDD bracket. I'm assuming if I'm mounting the PSU in the front corner, the only room I'd have for the AIO radiator would be the bottom, hence ruling out putting the HDD down there.

- Would any of the mounting options of the 3.5 inch listed above completely choke out airflow in the case to the point of not being feasible?

- With all of the above, am I right in thinking that the only places to mount some extra case fans would then be under the handle mount at the top and the rear 92mm fan? And then possibly a front 120mm fan under the PSU, if I can mount the 3.5 inch drive on the expansion bracket?

I guess I'm just looking for some affirmation that all of this stuff could work reasonably in a Cerberus X since I'm new to SFF cases and it seems crazy to cram all of this stuff into a relatively compact case!

Hi,

I could probably give you my input on it. But maybe someone else knows better.

Motherboard:
I'm not really sure what you meant by a full size ATX. Do you just mean ATX, or do you mean the largest ATX, i.e E--ATX/XL-ATX etc.
I know Cerberus X might handle E-ATX with tight fit, but I still suggest ATX or smaller.

PSU:
SF750 is a good power supply. I just changed my HX1200i to SF750, by getting the SFX PSU front mounting kit from Sliger. However, I'm not sure if you can suffice with SF600 for the specs you've listed. A PSU calculator might help in that regard. In my location, the SF600 is only slightly cheaper, so I didn't think much of it, and went for SF750. They are wattage regulated anyhow.

AiO cooler:
I got H115i Pro in the bottom, it is 280mm. It was too big, as the fans were getting too close to the connector of the motherboard. I had to change the fans to 120mm, and hooked them up with adhesive plastic screws, with one normal screw for each. So I guess a 240mm is a better choice, such as the H100i you listed. I'm not sure, but I am assuming you'll install it on the bottom of the case, as the PSU might be in the front.

Graphics card:
The Graphics card you listed might work. Depends how big they are. If you somehow want to install the PSU on back instead, and have the radiator installed in the front, it might be good to check the length of the card. Regardless, it is good to check the length of the card, as some cards can be massive. I believe it is also written on the specifications page for Cerberus X.

3,5 HDD mounting:
I'm not sure if it is recommended to mount 3,5 HDD vertically. if you don't get the PSU on the front, and put the radiator to the front. It could go on the bottom of the case. If you do the opposite, then I'd think the only option is vertical. I'm not sure if that is recommended.

Extra Fans:
You can mount fan up, with the handle kit bracket, but it should be a thin fan. It also depends if your hardware lets you. Depending on the RAM height, motherboard heatsinks to the side etc. When it comes to the fan below the PSU, if the PSU is installed to the front, then it might interfere with cables coming out from the PSU.

Showcasing:
Corsair SF series comes with relatively shorter cables, than the ATX PSUs. The SF750 comes with single sleeved cables, which is nice. But since Cerberus X haas little or no option for cable management, I myself had to get even shorter cables. Not sure if this information helps though.

Here is my build:

I had it done to somewhat the similar fashion you might want yours in.

I hope it helps. :-)

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018

From what I've seen most manufacturers recommend a minimum of 650 Watts continuous max draw for 2080/2080ti. I would recommend the SF750. Even if it is more than you "need," it just means that the PSU will run quieter and more efficiently. PSU's achieve maximum efficiency at roughly 50% of their max capacity. So, even if the sf600 would suffice, which it "probably" will, it is going to be running at 100% fan speed whenever the system is putting load on it.

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
From what I've seen most manufacturers recommend a minimum of 650 Watts continuous max draw for 2080/2080ti. I would recommend the SF750. Even if it is more than you "need," it just means that the PSU will run quieter and more efficiently. PSU's achieve maximum efficiency at roughly 50% of their max capacity. So, even if the sf600 would suffice, which it "probably" will, it is going to be running at 100% fan speed whenever the system is putting load on it.

Seems like a good advice. Because Zero RPM stops after 56% load, which would be 330w for SF750. And of course, the factors you've mentioned above is something to think about.

And according to this calculation from a PSU calculator site, with the specs Jibbajabbawockers listed, the load wattage is 551w.
Though it might not be accurate, especially because the CPU added is not the newer gen Risen.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@KSliger

Looking hard at a Cerberus for my upcoming Ryzen 3K build...!
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact M-DTX motherboard / Ryzen 3900X CPU / RX 5700 XT GPU (or Sapphire 5700 XT Toxic with AIO)
Wondering about fitment; 240 Enermax AIO in the bottom and a possible 120 AIO on the GPU mounted to the front, under the front-mounted SFX PSU...?
Two NF-A12x25 PWM fans exhausting up top, and replacing all AIO fans...
So that would be three 12x25s intaking from the bottom & lower front of the chassis, with two 12x25s exhausting out the top...
Do you think these items will fit (mainly looking at the possible SFX PSU & 120mm AIO on the front panel)...?
Thoughts towards airflow & possible temps; might a NF-A9 PWM fan on the back panel help (either intake or exhaust, gotta see which way the chipset fans are running on the C8I)...?
Thanks...!

Or might there be some ITX related changes coming to the Cerberus in the near-ish future that I might be best waiting on...?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger

Looking hard at a Cerberus for my upcoming Ryzen 3K build...!
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact M-DTX motherboard / Ryzen 3900X CPU / RX 5700 XT GPU (or Sapphire 5700 XT Toxic with AIO)
Wondering about fitment; 240 Enermax AIO in the bottom and a possible 120 AIO on the GPU mounted to the front, under the front-mounted SFX PSU...?
Two NF-A12x25 PWM fans exhausting up top, and replacing all AIO fans...
So that would be three 12x25s intaking from the bottom & lower front of the chassis, with two 12x25s exhausting out the top...
Do you think these items will fit (mainly looking at the possible SFX PSU & 120mm AIO on the front panel)...?
Thoughts towards airflow & possible temps; might a NF-A9 PWM fan on the back panel help (either intake or exhaust, gotta see which way the chipset fans are running on the C8I)...?
Thanks...!

Or might there be some ITX related changes coming to the Cerberus in the near-ish future that I might be best waiting on...?

No changes coming, so this build is pretty ideal.

As long as the GPU length + fan thickness + 120mm rad thickness is <330mm you can make this work. (since inside dimension of the case is 331mm)

I usually recommend an SFX mounted over the motherboard for this, two slim 120mm on the top mount bracket, and the 120mm AIO goes where the SFX internal would usually go. But if you can make the idea you have fit it would be superior.

Reactions: Talyrius and Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
No changes coming, so this build is pretty ideal.

As long as the GPU length + fan thickness + 120mm rad thickness is <330mm you can make this work. (since inside dimension of the case is 331mm)

I usually recommend an SFX mounted over the motherboard for this, two slim 120mm on the top mount bracket, and the 120mm AIO goes where the SFX internal would usually go. But if you can make the idea you have fit it would be superior.

With the 82mm tall SO-DIMM.2 M.2 riser card on the M-DTX motherboard, I do no think any PSU would be able to fit over the motherboard...!

This is the pic I have been looking at in regards to front panel fitment speculations...

So the above is a 280mm AIO & SFX-L PSU...

Will two 120mm x 25mm fans fit over the PSU & in front of the C14 input on the rear panel...?