Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Quick question to all here... Is there top fan mount (dual fan) limited to 120x15 or has anyone fit in a 120x25mm?

You can fit 25mm thick in most situations, but look out for VRM heat sinks and other stuff on the edge of the motherboard that might interfere. 15mm works flawlessly with any motherboard, 25mm is hit or miss.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
You can fit 25mm thick in most situations, but look out for VRM heat sinks and other stuff on the edge of the motherboard that might interfere. 15mm works flawlessly with any motherboard, 25mm is hit or miss.

Thank you.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Quick question to all here... Is there top fan mount (dual fan) limited to 120x15 or has anyone fit in a 120x25mm?

I want to say the 15mm limitation is only if you are using an ATX PSU over the motherboard...?

EDIT - Nope, I am wrong...!

Last edited:

Nyven

Caliper Novice
Nov 16, 2017
Using the vented top panel piece I have a EVGA 1080 TI Hybrid 120x25mm fan/rad mounted on top exhausting. Only worked with the vented top panel becuase I could move it off center closer to side panel away from motherboard. The rad/fan barely fit between the power plug entering in the back and the ram on the motherboard(asrock z370 taichi). And height wise it is almost touching the cpu water pump and mounting screws. Like a millimeter or two clearance on all sides.... so pretty much a perfect fit for me.

Reactions: Bioforce

harryoui

Efficiency Noob
Apr 1, 2019
@KSliger is there a sketchup or 3D model file available for the Cerberus X? I've seen screenshots from one but being able to place the parts would make build planning a lot easier

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger is there a sketchup or 3D model file available for the Cerberus X? I've seen screenshots from one but being able to place the parts would make build planning a lot easier

It's Kimeras design so I cannot release anything. Anything in particularly you need help ensuring fit for?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Good news for litterally power user in cerberus case : Seasonic is realising a 800W titanium SFX L..:)

Pretty good alternative to SX800 LTI..:)

harryoui

Efficiency Noob
Apr 1, 2019
I'm essentially trying to overcome the PSU interference and fit a 240mm radiator to the side hinge area.
Hope my kiddie drawings make sense, @KSliger

First idea is to reverse mount an SFX PSU using a corsair adapter
Second idea is to mount the rad externally

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Good news for litterally power user in cerberus case : Seasonic is realising a 800W titanium SFX L..:)

Pretty good alternative to SX800 LTI..:)

LOL. I am watching this at the time of my posting...!

Corsair 750W Platinum SFX versus Seasonic 800W Titanium SFX-L versus Silverstone 1kW Platinum SFX-L...?

The Seasonic Connect is, interesting...?

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
LOL. I am watching this at the time of my posting...!

Corsair 750W Platinum SFX versus Seasonic 800W Titanium SFX-L versus Silverstone 1kW Platinum SFX-L...?

The Seasonic Connect is, interesting...?
Seasonic connect is too much focused on specific case to be useful to be honest...cable ties are doing the same in an inexpensive way.

But you are battle on SFX-L is more than welcome...SX1000-LTP is enormous...i wonder how is exactly connection system...especially on a double 8 pins cpu plug.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I'm essentially trying to overcome the PSU interference and fit a 240mm radiator to the side hinge area.
Hope my kiddie drawings make sense, @KSliger

First idea is to reverse mount an SFX PSU using a corsair adapter
Second idea is to mount the rad externally

I really do not see it fitting, the length of the 240mm radiator and the thickness of the SFX PSU just make it impossible.

You could try and custom mount the PUS rotated 90 degrees, but that would require a ITX motherboard.

Also people that noted shipping costs were too high over the weekend please try again, changed a setting and shouldn't have, have it fixed now!

Reactions: harryoui

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Of the currently announced ATX/EATX X570 motherboards, do any happen to look like they might allow for 25mm thick fans to be used in the top of the case?

Last edited:

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
None of them seems to allow it. Even the cheapest ones have beefy VRM heatsinks at top.

I figured as much. If anyone happens to find one that does allow 25mm fans somehow, be sure to let everyone know. It would be great to have an X570 board that doesn't limit exhaust options.

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
So after making a big mistake on last Black Friday, getting a gigantic ATX PSU, the HX1200i, I changed it to SF750.
It helped, when it came to cable management. Not sure if it can get any better. It probably can. Tinier cables really helped.

The only problem with changing to SF750, was that it didn't have enough PCIe connectors. I had to plug in 2x for CPU (8+4 pin to the motherboard), 2x for PCIe (for graphics card) and 1x for PEG on the motherboard. Since SF750 only has four CPU/PCIe connectors, I had to ditch the one for PEG.

Now, this computer didn't really need a power connection for PEG, as it doesn't have more than one graphics card. But still, it is a loss, in my opinion.

Anyway, this is the result..

Last edited:

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
So after making a big mistake on last Black Friday, getting a gigantic ATX PSU, the HX1200i, I changed it to SF750.
It helped, when it came to cable management. Not sure if it can get any better. It probably can. Tinier cables really helped.

The only problem with changing to SF750, was that it didn't have enough PCIe connectors. I had to plug in 2x for CPU (8+4 pin to the motherboard), 2x for PCIe (for graphics card) and 1x for PEG on the motherboard. Since SF750 only has four CPU/PCIe connectors, I had to ditch the one for PEG.

Now, this computer didn't really need a power connection for PEG, as it doesn't have more than one graphics card. But still, it is a loss, in my opinion.

Anyway, this is the result..

That's a Z390 system with a 9900K, right? Don't worry about the 8 pin EPS. Almost all cpus on mainstream platforms (except maybe the 3950X overclocked) can run with a single 8 pin EPS unless you are going nuts overclocking the cpu. An 8 pin EPS can deliver over 200w of power (watch Buildzoid talk about it here). You only really start needing that extra 8 pin EPS once you start getting into HEDT platforms like the X299 and X399 platform where the cpu can pull in excess of 300W no problem. The SF750 was actually designed with HEDT systems like the Corsair One Pro i180 in mind, which uses the power hungry 14 core 9920X cpu. For mainstream platforms, a single 8 pin is fine as you will never hit the power draw figures of HEDT. I guess you can plug in for peace of mind though if you are worried about a single 8 pin passing through 200-250w as I believe most dual 8 pin setups are wired in parallel, so plugging in two cables means each cable shares half the load.

Reactions: MuffinCrumbs

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
That's a Z390 system with a 9900K, right? Don't worry about the 8 pin EPS. Almost all cpus on mainstream platforms (except maybe the 3950X overclocked) can run with a single 8 pin EPS unless you are going nuts overclocking the cpu. An 8 pin EPS can deliver over 200w of power (watch Buildzoid talk about it here). You only really start needing that extra 8 pin EPS once you start getting into HEDT platforms like the X299 and X399 platform where the cpu can pull in excess of 300W no problem. The SF750 was actually designed with HEDT systems like the Corsair One Pro i180 in mind, which uses the power hungry 14 core 9920X cpu. For mainstream platforms, a single 8 pin is fine as you will never hit the power draw figures of HEDT. I guess you can plug in for peace of mind though if you are worried about a single 8 pin passing through 200-250w as I believe most dual 8 pin setups are wired in parallel, so plugging in two cables means each cable shares half the load.

Thank you so much. This is very informative.

You're absolutely correct. The motherboard is a Z390 chipset, with i9900K. I'm not planning to overclock it, so I'm very pleased to know this information you've just told me.

I thought plugging both EPS would be better, than neglecting PEG completely. But it seems like I don't really need two power connectors for the EPS.