Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Doesnotinhale

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 10, 2016
Well, the first campaign failed and there's no reason to expect another campaign with the same goal would suddenly succeed now. So we have to aim for a smaller production quantity, hence the changes we've been considering.
Its pretty safe to say that not enough leg work was put in the first place to generate interest in the case up until about a couple months ago. There was this forum thread and maybe a topic or two on reddit. Dan does not seem like the business man type but he is somehow killing it. He simply had his case being discussed on a few forums SFF or otherwise and his product isn't even that practical when you take into account noise/heat conditions. Cerberus is an entirely superior product and is an easy sell if the right support is drummed up from the right corners....or at the very least more effort on a PR front. I think you guys should do another crowd fund but on a different service. I think you also should create an instagram and Twitter presence and plug your case to the regular PC Gaming publications to generate interest. Not to mention send out test models to reviewers like Guru3D,Linus, etc. You will smash any goal if you guys set out this way and I feel like most of your production concerns surrounding the use of Steal vs. Aluminum and general logistics will become more flexible with more support and a successfully funded campaign. I say go for it or if your looking for help i'd be interested.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

The information we have internally leads us to understand the failure of the KS to be almost exclusively price-related. Our enclosure is more expensive and costs significantly more to ship due to size, and this prices many otherwise-interested folks out. A similar enclosure at ~75% of the price almost certainly would have been successful.

Long term, that could be something we can address, but in the shorter term we want to figure out the best way to get the existing manifestation of Cerberus out to the pool of enthusiasts who very much want it at the current price point.

I'm hoping we'll have more to share with you all soon in terms of plans, thoughts, etc. To be honest, we've had a lot going on, beyond Cerberus/KI, that's demanded attention. SFF Forum and SFF Network (ironically) have been one of those things, as they've both been growing pretty rapidly as of late. But in my own life, I've been working through a lot of personal and professional challenges that have pulled me away from most things, Cerberus included. For that, I apologize.

Still, in a sense, all of that has been timed well given that correspondence with our manufacturer has been slow anyway, and that they've hit roadblocks themselves, but the cumulative effect is one of a slowdown, and there's no sugar-coating it - it sucks. We're doing what we can, though.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Its pretty safe to say that not enough leg work was put in the first place to generate interest in the case up until about a couple months ago. There was this forum thread and maybe a topic or two on reddit. Dan does not seem like the business man type but he is somehow killing it. He simply had his case being discussed on a few forums SFF or otherwise and his product isn't even that practical when you take into account noise/heat conditions. Cerberus is an entirely superior product and is an easy sell if the right support is drummed up from the right corners....or at the very least more effort on a PR front. I think you guys should do another crowd fund but on a different service. I think you also should create an instagram and Twitter presence and plug your case to the regular PC Gaming publications to generate interest. Not to mention send out test models to reviewers like Guru3D,Linus, etc. You will smash any goal if you guys set out this way and I feel like most of your production concerns surrounding the use of Steal vs. Aluminum and general logistics will become more flexible with more support and a successfully funded campaign. I say go for it or if your looking for help i'd be interested.

Dan has had his share of stumbles, too, but it seems the pent-up demand for a "product [that] isn't even that practical when you take into account noise/heat conditions" has somehow overcome your self-proclaimed expertise on the matter, which contradicts Dan's personal testing. Or maybe there are people who just want to roll low and slow in the smallest case available to the masses thus far?

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
A similar enclosure at ~75% of the price

As I infer, you may be going through the Tesla route? Expensive product(s) first to pay for RnD for everything, gain an image of "premium" or "not easily obtainable", release a less product that is functionally the same to a larger audience?

I dunno. I can only hope.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

I don't think anyone can reasonably dismiss Dan's success, or the achievement of his design. Aiboh and I have been thrilled with how well his crowdfunding campaign performed out the gate, and generally consider his layout to be essentially the most efficient design possible for the hardware.

As I infer, you may be going through the Tesla route? Expensive product(s) first to pay for RnD for everything, gain an image of "premium" or "not easily obtainable", release a less product that is functionally the same to a larger audience?

I dunno. I can only hope.

Long term, yes.

The other thing we get, from Cerberus, is the learning opportunity as well. It's been quite the education already.

Doesnotinhale

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 10, 2016
On the contrary! Not downplaying Dan, his abilities, design, etc but merely pointing out with those prevalent concerns on every forum his case still sold like gangbusters! And he did stumble quite a bit hence my remark on his business experience. I think its a true sign that SFF is finally an in demand feature and merely wanted to make a point that maybe later in the year or this summer another campaign could definitely be successful since I honestly feel the Cerberus is a superior product in everyway. Different in everyway too but the fact its made in the USA with Steel (or Aluminum) not to mention the general layout being refreshingly intelligent.I feel like Cerberus somehow just had bum luck since it seems like the same amount of advertising was going on as Dan

Nano

What's an ITX?
Feb 12, 2016
What is the height limitation for the 2.5" drive supports? I assume standard 9.5 mm height will fit, but what about 15 mm? For the bracket support, that would depend on the distance between mounting holes.

Been following this for a while and love the case. Great work!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For the 2.5" brackets, you could either fit just the single 15mm thick drive, or a single 9.5mm on the bottom set of mounting holes and the 15mm on the upper set if there's clearance.

For the motherboard tray mounts, there's room for a 15mm drive with a front-mounted PSU. Maybe not with a front-mounted radiator depending on the exact configuration.

joneidy

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 11, 2016
Hey guys long time lurker here. Are there any updates to the case? I`ve been dying to get my hands on this case. Can I have it pls? lol

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I have been repeatedly impressed with the craftsmanship for this case, so much that I am considering it if it becomes available. Clean design, and powder coated non-flimsy steel with metal clips... ah, the joy. :) You probably shouldn't give up this "theme".

There are many cases out there, that don't necessarily need a radical design change, but just optimizations, and an upgrade in build quality with attention to details and materials. My dream case is probably a slightly smaller mini-itx variant of this craftsmanship.

Hope you get the manufacturing sorted out.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
How much room is there in the bottom of the case if the 5th PCI slot is unoccupied?
On the website it says 15mm if the 5th slot is occupied, but I can't find how much room there is if the slot isn't being used.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hey guys long time lurker here. Are there any updates to the case? I`ve been dying to get my hands on this case. Can I have it pls? lol

No updates yet, Joshua has been extremely busy with life and work and I've been sidetracked with a few personal projects.

My dream case is probably a slightly smaller mini-itx variant of this craftsmanship.

I've thought about it but it's unlikely that will happen. A Mini-ITX Cerberus wouldn't bring much new to the market over the NCASE M1.

How much room is there in the bottom of the case if the 5th PCI slot is unoccupied?
On the website it says 15mm if the 5th slot is occupied, but I can't find how much room there is if the slot isn't being used.

PCI slots are basically 20mm tall (20.32mm to be exact) so it'd be 35mm.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
beatingDeadHorse(false);

void beatingDeadHorse(bool isGlue)
{

if(!isGlue)
print("do you have an ETA");

if(!cerberus.exists())
return;

print("for when you will have an ETA");
beatingDeadHorse(true);
}

Reactions: jeshikat and tedlas

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Will a 120mm radiator fit under a sfx power supply?
I know earlier someone said that it wouldn't fit with an sfx-l but would it work with an sfx unit?