Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@KSliger I may have found a good idea for Cerberus/Cerberus-X rev 2.0.

Cooler Master has just released its Masterbox Q500L (33.8L), that is reinforcing competition on low volume ATX MB case.
However there is one key feature that is terrific : you can place your psu wherever you want on perforated panels with a specific bracket.

Thus it will be great for Cerberus case to get this freedom of PSU location by creating a new SFX or ATX PSU bracket that could fit on infinite vents.

What do you think about this feature?

That thing needs to shed a few liters, but man, that's nice.

They're also using a modular front IO system, which looks oddly close to my PANELS system.
However, I never released anything about that publicly.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Luminair

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
Still happy with the one I bought last year, so I'm back for round 2. Ordered my second one last night along with with an extra that I talked to sales about beforehand. Went back and forth between one of the SM5XX cases but wanted to stick with mATX for now. Looking forward to the build this weekend!

Reactions: KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger I may have found a good idea for Cerberus/Cerberus-X rev 2.0.

Cooler Master has just released its Masterbox Q500L (33.8L), that is reinforcing competition on low volume ATX MB case.
However there is one key feature that is terrific : you can place your psu wherever you want on perforated panels with a specific bracket.

Thus it will be great for Cerberus case to get this freedom of PSU location by creating a new SFX or ATX PSU bracket that could fit on infinite vents.

What do you think about this feature?

I am not sure where else in that case an ATX PSU could go aside from the furthest top right corner of that picture. Seems like a dumb design choice for that case, sure it's able to move... but to where?

For Cerberus lots of people want to be able to use Mini-ITX and rotate the SFX PSU 90 degrees against back wall:
For Cerberus X it might be useful to move the SFX PSU to bottom with Micro ATX support.

I can't really think of a whole lot of scenarios it would be tremendously useful without requiring a lot of other changes to the case frame.

Not currently working on an Cerberus changes or new parts for the foreseeable future.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
You mean that you will place commander mini in front of psu exhaust side?..:D
sorry forgot this part ,_, I'll stick it onto the lower 2.5" disk mounting wall (if we're talking horizontal it'll be under the PSU beside the motherboard. in normal standing service it's... beside(?) the PSU and beside the motherboard.).

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I am not sure where else in that case an ATX PSU could go aside from the furthest top right corner of that picture. Seems like a dumb design choice for that case, sure it's able to move... but to where?

For Cerberus lots of people want to be able to use Mini-ITX and rotate the SFX PSU 90 degrees against back wall:
For Cerberus X it might be useful to move the SFX PSU to bottom with Micro ATX support.

I can't really think of a whole lot of scenarios it would be tremendously useful without requiring a lot of other changes to the case frame.

Not currently working on an Cerberus changes or new parts for the foreseeable future.
In cooler master Q500L, you can move psu bracket at the bottom with itx mb. i agree CM bracket is rather simple..:)

For cerberus-x, with such a sfx psu bracket, you can move psu whenever you have infinite vents. After, you can simply use zip tie to do it already..:) At least this could a potential/future accesory for Cerberus when you will have time/will ..:D

Barney Gumble

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2019
Hi all - new here - just started to look at the Cerberus X. Really like the idea of the case, primarily as I want in my next build (for other reasons) to have it water cooled but with at least the radiators external. So a smaller case works better. I am looking roughly at the following build: Z390 MB, SFX power supply (looking at Silverstone 800W), 2080ti graphics card (already have this), 32 gb memory, M2 & SSD drives (no HDD, likely).

Main question - just because I have it and would like to use it - any quick thoughts on if a dual-bay reservoir with two pumps would fit, and how would it be attached? I'm thinking at the front top. Not sure if it would fit relative to the on board memory. Don't need any radiators in the case, at best some case fans, likely bottom I'm guessing.

Radiator that i have:

http://www.xs-pc.com/reservoirs/twin-d5-dual-bay-reservoir

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: thinking the ATX connection would get in the way first. Bottom front mount for the reservoir?

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hi all - new here - just started to look at the Cerberus X. Really like the idea of the case, primarily as I want in my next build (for other reasons) to have it water cooled but with at least the radiators external. So a smaller case works better. I am looking roughly at the following build: Z390 MB, SFX power supply (looking at Silverstone 800W), 2080ti graphics card (already have this), 32 gb memory, M2 & SSD drives (no HDD, likely).

Main question - just because I have it and would like to use it - any quick thoughts on if a dual-bay reservoir with two pumps would fit, and how would it be attached? I'm thinking at the front top. Not sure if it would fit relative to the on board memory. Don't need any radiators in the case, at best some case fans, likely bottom I'm guessing.

Radiator that i have:

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: thinking the ATX connection would get in the way first. Bottom front mount for the reservoir?
To be honest i see no good reason to use dual bay reservoir inside cerberus-x. As you go for z390, you can go for swiftech apogee drive ii sticking on atx mb.
You can go also for mini itx but you can face some power issue with watercooled 9900k...:)

Reactions: VegetableStu

Barney Gumble

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2019
To be honest i see no good reason to use dual bay reservoir inside cerberus-x. As you go for z390, you can go for swiftech apogee drive ii sticking on atx mb.
You can go also for mini itx but you can face some power issue with watercooled 9900k...:)

Thank you - again I don't want to go with an AIO cooler, plan is for a custom loop, so a reservoir is needed. Hoping the one I have would fit.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thank you - again I don't want to go with an AIO cooler, plan is for a custom loop, so a reservoir is needed. Hoping the one I have would fit.
Well apogee drive ii is not aio...it’s a full ddc pump with apogee waterblock lol..:)
After i agree you have to add a reservoir..:)

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2019

Radiator that i have:

Thanks in advance.

Well I did a quick sketchup and it looks like it should fit. It helps that I took a closer look at the internal dimensions, especially compared to the original sketchup model. Would just need to figure out how to attach it.

Time to buy.

Luminair

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
Build #2 complete (last year's here):

Specs are:

i5-7600k @ 4.2GHz
16GB RAM
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 ti
512GB Samsung 950 Pro
Cryorig H7
ASRock Z270M
SF600 Gold
2x140mm Noctua NF-A14
1x120mm Noctua NF-S12a
1x92mm be quiet Pure Wings 2

Shout out to Sliger for selling me up with the last Obsidian partial window produced. Looks awesome!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Build #2 complete (last year's here):

Specs are:

i5-7600k @ 4.2GHz
16GB RAM
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 ti
512GB Samsung 950 Pro
Cryorig H7
ASRock Z270M
SF600 Gold
2x140mm Noctua NF-A14
1x120mm Noctua NF-S12a
1x92mm be quiet Pure Wings 2

Shout out to Sliger for selling me up with the last Obsidian partial window produced. Looks awesome!
Nice color scheme!
What about cpu temp with h7?

lomskat404

Chassis Packer
Mar 12, 2018
Hello,

Just curious - is there finally a way to purchase a window side panel without having to pay a billion dollars for shipping to EU?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
---- CARMINE RED IS BEING DISCONTINUED ----

Will fill orders until it is gone, but will likely be sold out by the end of the month.

White / Grey / Black will be staying, and we will be adding a "Custom" color on checkout.

If you would like a Red case in the future it will be available via the custom color checkout.

Individual panels in red will continue to be available for replacement / build changes.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger any chance of there being an easter break discount? Sadly missed out on the Black Friday/Optimum Tech ones and have been teetering based on the shipping cost to aus, similar to @lomskat404

Unfortunately nothing for coupons planned that soon.

Is there anything like a Massdrop for Aus? Would be solid if we could do one big bundled shipment, that would break out to each of you once it arrives in Aus/NZ. Doing a pallet via sea to Aus is really reasonable, about the same as shipping 5 cases air. If we could get ~12+ it would be great, I could do a discount on top of the shipping too. I just can't get any Aus/NZ distributors to bite as we don't have that recognition.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
---- CARMINE RED IS BEING DISCONTINUED ----

Will fill orders until it is gone, but will likely be sold out by the end of the month.

White / Grey / Black will be staying, and we will be adding a "Custom" color on checkout.

If you would like a Red case in the future it will be available via the custom color checkout.

Individual panels in red will continue to be available for replacement / build changes.
It's a pity as this Carmine Red was my preferred color.
Is there any specific reason of this move? Not enough sales? Failing supplier?

lomskat404

Chassis Packer
Mar 12, 2018
Felt like posting a couple of pics:

Also, bought and installed new 3rd party feet. They are 40mm diameter and 10mm height. I absolutely love them compared to the original tall rubber ones (which feel quite cheap, tbh).

What I enjoy about it the most is that it's whisper quiet. The only part that I can actually hear (at night) is the power supply.

Cheers.