Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
If money was no object, what is the best heatsink that can fit 120mm fans? Thermalright?

That will fit the Cerberus with or without the side bracket? Without the max is 145mm, so probably something like the NH-C14 or Dark Rock TF. The Thermalright Truespirit 120M will fit, but I'm not sure it would necessarily perform any better.

Edit: Of the tower type the Cryorig H7 Quadlumi also has 4 heatpipes and it rates only about 5-6 C lower than a NH-D15 according to this: https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7874/8/fresh-air-49-processor-coolers-tested-test-results--ncooling

Last edited:
Reactions: loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I’m just a random internet stranger and claim no authority on the matter, but I think almost any dual 240 setup would handle any cpu/ single GPU combo. Granted, it might not be as easy to cool as a more modest setup, but still not a big hurdle.

As for a cpu and two gpus..... idk but would depend on the hardware.

Edit: but for this size case <30mm rads are practical and would suffice. What exactly are you cooking up?

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

dnguyen189

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 28, 2018
@Allhopeforhumanity Thanks for the info. I'm currently debating on switching from a 240mm radiator to an air cooler. I currently have my 240mm radiator on bottom, but due to my GPU(Strix Vega 64) all the heat is trapped between the GPU and the radiator.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I’m just a random internet stranger and claim no authority on the matter, but I think almost any dual 240 setup would handle any cpu/ single GPU combo. Granted, it might not be as easy to cool as a more modest setup, but still not a big hurdle.

As for a cpu and two gpus..... idk but would depend on the hardware.

The thermal load of the specific components are going to play a pretty large role in determining how much dissipation you are going to need, but like loader said, 2X 240s should be able to handle it. One thing to consider though is how much pressure head you're going to need for 2 rads, 2 GPUs and the CPU block. Make sure you get a pump powerful enough that you don't end up with fluid stagnation.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
@Allhopeforhumanity Thanks for the info. I'm currently debating on switching from a 240mm radiator to an air cooler. I currently have my 240mm radiator on bottom, but due to my GPU(Strix Vega 64) all the heat is trapped between the GPU and the radiator.

Have you tried flipping the direction of the fans? If not, I might see how your thermals look in that configuration before swapping out the cooler entirely.

wolfepack

Case Bender
Oct 27, 2018
I plan on having a bottom mounted 240 rad and was wondering if I have any options for a 3.5" drive. Can the hard drive cages fit anywhere other than on the bottom of the Cerberus?

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Thanks for the insight. One last question I swear...do you have a recommendation for rad thickness? I'm going to need to dissipate a ton of heat with a Threadripper + Vega 64 build, and possibly a second card to use for VM passthrough.
I'm personally running 30mm thick radiators for my TR build, so 30mm thickness would be my recommendation.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
If money was no object, what is the best heatsink that can fit 120mm fans? Thermalright?

This is IMO the best air cooler for Cerberus / X: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1074

But a 240mm liquid AIO is recommended.

Thanks for the insight. One last question I swear...do you have a recommendation for rad thickness? I'm going to need to dissipate a ton of heat with a Threadripper + Vega 64 build, and possibly a second card to use for VM passthrough.

Anything will work, but I would recommend fitting as many fans as you can, and sealing up around them in some way - gaskets, no residue tape, etc. as you'll need to make this build an overkill wind tunnel to get heat out and away.

These i9 / Threadripper / 2080ti / Vega 64 builds really push the limits of Cerberus X thermally.

Reactions: loader963

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Do you want to push the absolute limit or keep it safe? IMO the best cooler for the Cerberus and Cerberus X is the Scythe FUMA. It's a dual tower cooler with 6 heatpipes that supports 120mm fans. It barely fits though at 149mm (absolute max cooler clearance is 150mm) and if you want to use two fans with high profile memory, you'll have to put one of the fans on the back. Amazon cooling performance however and not too expensive as air coolers go at $50.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I can recommend the Scythe Fuma Rev. B: https://www.scytheus.com/aircooler-fuma

It fits with normal height ("Low Profile") RAM for AMD and Intel:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...x-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-227#post-105316

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I can recommend the Scythe Fuma Rev. B: https://www.scytheus.com/aircooler-fuma

It fits with normal height ("Low Profile") RAM for AMD and Intel:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...x-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-227#post-105316

Doesn't the Fuma's heat pipe protrusions rub up against the stock side panel? I seemed to remember someone modding the side with an acrylic or glass panel that added 2-3mm of clearance to accommodate the Fuma.

It's a great cooler though assuming it fits.

hyp36rmax

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2018
@hyp36rmax

New member here, just ordered my Cerberus this past Sunday (4 days ago) and just got confirmation from Sliger support that it will be shipping out today with an email as @TheHig descried with tracking info. Looks like its just a busy time for them. Hard to be patient :)

Apologies on the delays to everyone that ordered over holiday! Last of the orders will get tracking today or early tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the support. @TheHig is on point. Had to check my spam folder a couple days later to find the shipping email. My Cerebrus-X just got delivered today. Looking forward to building into it to take the sadness of my car getting rear ended... ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

Reactions: TheHig and KSliger

pillagemyvillage

Chassis Packer
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks everyone for the support. @TheHig is on point. Had to check my spam folder a couple days later to find the shipping email. My Cerebrus-X just got delivered today. Looking forward to building into it to take the sadness of my car getting rear ended... ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

Oh wow my tracking number came two days ago but it ended up in my spam email for some reason... Strange but definitely relieved that I can track this now!

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Doesn't the Fuma's heat pipe protrusions rub up against the stock side panel? I seemed to remember someone modding the side with an acrylic or glass panel that added 2-3mm of clearance to accommodate the Fuma.

It's a great cooler though assuming it fits.
Are you talking about me? I did mod my side panel to fit a tempered glass panel, but I can say that with the stock side panel, the heatpipes aren't going to touch the side panel. The fans may or may not, depending on whether they are regular fans or extra thick and wide fans like the ML120 fans I'm using. The ML120 fans have extra rubber on them which makes them ~3mm wider than normal fans, and using them with the FUMA pushes the clearance to 151mm, which causes the rubber sides of the fan to touch the side panel. Any other fans should not have this problem at all.

MoarCoffeePlzzz

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 2, 2015
I have the BeQuiet Dark Rock TF in my Cerberus and its probably the beefiest cooler you can fit in the case. Only a few MM's to spare with the side panel on. Tons of heat dissipation.

Dezroxx

Efficiency Noob
Nov 21, 2018
@KSliger (or anyone else with experience)

I have a basic cooling optimization question about component arrangements for the Cerberus. I'll be migrating my stuff into the case and working with the following:

-i7 4790k
-GTX 960
-2 SSD's
-2 HDD's
-ATX PSU (CX600M)
-240 AIO (H110i Pro)
-Cerberus with ATX back plate and vented side panel

So, with a 240 AIO on the front as intake should the PSU be used as exhaust, or would it be better to have the fan pulling directly from outside?
Does this even matter? Would those 2 120mm fans be enough for the above configuration?

I don't plan to cram too much stuff there - planning to upgrade to a 1070ti after the holidays.

Thanks in advance!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

I have a basic cooling optimization question about component arrangements for the Cerberus. I'll be migrating my stuff into the case and working with the following:

-i7 4790k
-GTX 960
-2 SSD's
-2 HDD's
-ATX PSU (CX600M)
-240 AIO (H110i Pro)

So, with a 240 AIO on the front as intake should the PSU be used as exhaust, or would it be better to have the fan pulling directly from outside?
Does this even matter? Would those 2 120mm fans be enough for the above configuration?

I don't plan to cram too much stuff there - planning to upgrade to a 1070ti after the holidays.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to cerberus club!

In terms of easy setup, i suggest you to aio 240 with fan in push mode (radiator on case and fans on radiator...and fan pushing air outside the case)

I strongly recommend to have dual 120 intake from bottom.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

-i7 4790k
-GTX 960
-2 SSD's
-2 HDD's
-ATX PSU (CX600M)
-240 AIO (H110i Pro)

Thanks in advance!

To add to MarcParis, be sure to get one more exhaust fan on top. Exhaust fans make a huge difference.

Reactions: fabio