Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Dezroxx

Efficiency Noob
Nov 21, 2018
Thanks @MarcParis and @KSliger got your suggestions! With that many fans I'll quickly run out of space for HDD's (good thing I added on the top mounting plate).

I strongly recommend to have dual 120 intake from bottom.
@MarcParis Would these be Airflow fans or Static pressure fans?

To add to MarcParis, be sure to get one more exhaust fan on top. Exhaust fans make a huge difference.
@KSliger Given the above, how about the ATX PSU? Should that also be in an exhaust configuration, or can it pull fresh air from outside the case?

Thanks again!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks @MarcParis and @KSliger got your suggestions! With that many fans I'll quickly run out of space for HDD's (good thing I added on the top mounting plate).

@MarcParis Would these be Airflow fans or Static pressure fans?
Static pressure fans are the best choice, either for radiator or cerberus case fans (especially if you are considering to add dust filters...that i strongly recommend)

Dark Side Gentle typhoon 2150rpm or NF a 12x25 are best choice currently.

wfarid

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2017
So great to see all this info. Just a quick question for owners out there - with threadripper 2950, asrock taichi m, and a 1080ti would an aircooling just be asking for trouble? I will most lilkely be aiming for system stability above all else, so lightly overclocking at best.

I also don't want to go through the hassle of an open loop (although I appreciate all the enthusiasts who do go that route). Primarily need this as a workstation I can lug around for blender and unreal archviz work (with some occasional gaming). So that means that gpu will be stressed at a 100% for chunks of time while rendering out (depending on the scene and the frames anywhere from 30 min to 6 hours).

Thanks!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
So great to see all this info. Just a quick question for owners out there - with threadripper 2950, asrock taichi m, and a 1080ti would an aircooling just be asking for trouble? I will most lilkely be aiming for system stability above all else, so lightly overclocking at best.

I also don't want to go through the hassle of an open loop (although I appreciate all the enthusiasts who do go that route). Primarily need this as a workstation I can lug around for blender and unreal archviz work (with some occasional gaming). So that means that gpu will be stressed at a 100% for chunks of time while rendering out (depending on the scene and the frames anywhere from 30 min to 6 hours).

Thanks!
Unfortunately for Cerberus & Threadripper, no beefy aircooler for Threadripper are compatible with Cerberus...except NH-U9S TR4.

Thus most of current users are using thermaltake TR4 aio or customed watercooling loop.

wfarid

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2017
thanks MarcParis for the quick response. I saw many people had the rad positioned at the bottom of the case. I'm assuming its sucking fresh from the outside and dumping hot air inside directly at the GPU. Is that causing problems? Overly high GPU temps?

also for thermaltake TR4 liqtech did they fix all their corrosion, leaking issues?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

@KSliger Given the above, how about the ATX PSU? Should that also be in an exhaust configuration, or can it pull fresh air from outside the case?

Thanks again!

Depends on the PSU and your systems load.

If it's platinum or titanium rated I'd use it as exhaust, unless you're above 75% of the PSUs rated current then I would have it pull from outside.

If it is any gold/silver I would have it pull from outside.

If it's bronze I would throw it away.

@KSliger Any news on an official vertical GPU bracket?

Still working on it, not the easiest thing to make fit. Also working on a USB C / front audio kit.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
also for thermaltake TR4 liqtech did they fix all their corrosion, leaking issues?
(that's enermax not thermaltake) the liqtech TR4 gen 2 seems to be holding up well so far, although there's the occasional fan issue from the early batches. Enermax says they'll replace the entire set if anyone encounters them

the search term you want is Enermax Liqtech TR4 ii. don't buy the earlier one since they stopped making those

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
thanks MarcParis for the quick response. I saw many people had the rad positioned at the bottom of the case. I'm assuming its sucking fresh from the outside and dumping hot air inside directly at the GPU. Is that causing problems? Overly high GPU temps?

For higher GPU temp, it's true that bottom & intake radiator is increasing gpu temperature.
I've countered this side effect by putting a 120mm front fan as intake.
At the end GPU temp is still higher but in a reasonible way.

(that's enermax not thermaltake) the liqtech TR4 gen 2 seems to be holding up well so far, although there's the occasional fan issue from the early batchs. Enermax says they'll replace the entire set if anyone encounters them

the search term you want is Enermax Liqtech TR4 ii. don't buy the earlier one since they stopped making those
You are 100% right, it's enermax TR4...:)

Reactions: VegetableStu

pillagemyvillage

Chassis Packer
Nov 26, 2018
@KSliger

Any info on if the half vented half windowed version of the side panel would be coming back? I saw earlier on in the thread that it was discontinued so I was just wondering if they would make their return ever as I'm pretty interested in that!

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
Depends on the PSU and your systems load.

If it's platinum or titanium rated I'd use it as exhaust, unless you're above 75% of the PSUs rated current then I would have it pull from outside.

If it is any gold/silver I would have it pull from outside.

If it's bronze I would throw it away.

Still working on it, not the easiest thing to make fit. Also working on a USB C / front audio kit.

Kahlin, will be USB-C kit compatible with old top?

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
Had to make some changes to my build. The fan header on my GPU died, so I replaced the stock fans with an AIO. Also added cooling to the VRM area, since those were overheating.
Really liking how the system and case perform now.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Kahlin, will be USB-C kit compatible with old top?

USB C / Audio will stick out the side gaps, and be able to move to either side / top or bottom.

@KSliger

Any info on if the half vented half windowed version of the side panel would be coming back? I saw earlier on in the thread that it was discontinued so I was just wondering if they would make their return ever as I'm pretty interested in that!

Discontinued permanently. Was working on a way to bring it back but the project / opportunity fell through.

pillagemyvillage

Chassis Packer
Nov 26, 2018
Ahh thanks for the insight!

Also anyone have any tips for cable management in the Cerberus? I have custom sleeved cables right now however they were meant for a different case and are much too long for this one. Would it be possible to just take the sleeved cables I have right now and just cut them to length or am I out of luck here?

Lastly, how did you guys go about routing your PSU extender in the case? Would love to hear some different view points on that as well.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ahh thanks for the insight!

Also anyone have any tips for cable management in the Cerberus? I have custom sleeved cables right now however they were meant for a different case and are much too long for this one. Would it be possible to just take the sleeved cables I have right now and just cut them to length or am I out of luck here?

Lastly, how did you guys go about routing your PSU extender in the case? Would love to hear some different view points on that as well.
PSU extender in SFF?? Really?
I guess, as for any SFF, it's better to use customed psu cable (no extension, customer length and pinout)