Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

chemist_slime

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2016
Ok, double checked the CAD model and the the X99-E WS will not fit with the SFX bracket installed.

There is exactly 330mm between the inside faces of the front/rear frame. So in theory an EEB could fit but I wouldn't count on it :p

I would love to see EEB support. The ASUS w8 X99 with dual socket 2011-3 + Quad SLI would be amazing. I had to get the Asus X99 w/s 3.1 because I couldn't find a decent cause with EEB support. If yours supported it, I would upgrade to the w8 in a heart beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

deleted

Chassis Packer
Oct 11, 2016
www.reddit.com
mabye, as I am probably going to get a liquid cooling system for my gpu that fits with the predator system. I'm not sure about anything yet, still wating on those 35% off sales on black friday.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
mabye, as I am probably going to get a liquid cooling system for my gpu that fits with the predator system.

Those are long cards and the Predator is a thick unit so the rad would have to go on the bottom of a Cerberus-X for that to work, it wouldn't fit on the front.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The problem is if the full holes are there then I feel they should have grommets to cover them up for people who aren't using them. But that's another item to the BOM and while they're not super expensive or anything, it's not an insignificant price either and I think they're ugly and very few people will use the holes.

I was thinking partial cutouts that users could finish cutting out themselves, though Joshua is opposed to that. So we haven't decided for sure yet.

Partial cutouts are a bad idea when the piece is powerdercoated, and it will feel like those cheapo thin-steeled cases where all the PCIe brackets have to be removed by yourself. You want to avoid any association with that, people are already sceptical of steel, so you need to show them that steel does not equate bad quality.

I don't think you'd have to include rubber grommets. Just having holes there doesn't really hurt. If it really bugs you, add them as an accessory option, so people who want them covered can pay an additional 5 bucks or so to get grommets that fit 100% of the time.

If the rear bracket is still replaceable in the current design, you could make a simple design for a single flat-piece bracket that has the proper cutouts and put it available for download. Than anyone can have it made somewhere or even make it themselves.

Ah, I had forgot about that. The plan is indeed to post dimensions of the rear plate for people to make their own.

This is a great idea and I love that you'll be doing it, but I think the stock option should support as many configurations as possible. If someone wants to go the extra mile to make their build even cleaner, then they could always get a new back cover made without the holes.

Doing it this way around seems more consumer-friendly to me than to require anyone who wants to use the M1 res to also cut a new back cover. Remeber, we're talking about the back of the case here!

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
People complained about having just empty holes during development of the NCASE M1 but then afterwards they complained that the grommets were really cheap :p

Only like 10% of people wanted them on the survey which is why I kinda lean towards not having them or just having partial cutouts.

mcbirds

Efficiency Noob
Jun 6, 2016
Just wanted to throw my two cents in for supporting the M1 res/grommets. Two grommet holes on the back side opens your case up to a lot more options out of the box. The NCASE became very popular in the water cooling community and those grommets led to the FrozenQ res which is a staple in water cooling builds in the NCASE. Like others have said if having to pay for the grommets over not having to drill them is only option so be it. I get that SFF is niche to begin with and people who water cool SFF builds is even smaller but a couple of grommets out of the box makes most of us happy :p

I'm sure you guys are passed the phase of testing but if you guys ever need any water cooling gear for testing I would be happy to lend pumps, rads, blocks, whatever you need really.

Reactions: Commissariat

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Only like 10% of people wanted them on the survey which is why I kinda lean towards not having them or just having partial cutouts.

Do you have any data on how many people would NOT buy the case if there were holes in the back, though?

If 10% of people want those holes, you risk losing up to 10% of possible sales by not including them. It is easier to cover the holes up later with blind grommets than to drill them in or make a custom back cover, and as @mcbirds says it's not that big a deal to pay a little bit of money for those grommets.

Even just drilling the holes out will cost most people more than grommets, simply because they'd have to buy a drill bit of the correct size.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
I really can't imagine someone not buying this case because it has holes on the rear panel. The opposite is not true, IMO.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I plugged mine up with two well-sized blank caps on the Ncase M1, my OCD demanded it.

chanberg

Trash Compacter
Sep 9, 2015
I'd vote for the holes as well. People that are spending 250+ for a case aren't just going to skimp out on cooling and use stock coolers. They are the ones buying the watercooling fittings and noctua fans

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Holes aside, can the SFX bracket be mounted on the bottom (assuming you use a short/ITX GPU) so as to utilise the full length of the side bracket for a 240 radiator?

Edit: terrible Engrish

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Holes aside, can the SFX bracket being mounted on the bottom (assuming you use a short/ITX GPU) so as to utilise the full length of the side bracket for a 240 radiator?

It wasn't in any of the previously shown prototypes, and KI said there would be no functional changes to the next prototype run. I think this is a nifty idea, but if it could be mounted in the bottom, the internal C13/C14 cable would be way too short to reach the outlet at the top of the back of the case.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Holes aside, can the SFX bracket being mounted on the bottom (assuming you use a short/ITX GPU) so as to utilise the full length of the side bracket for a 240 radiator?

No. The vent pattern on the front purposely doesn't extend all the way to the top to reduce the amount of exhaust re-circulation by the PSU.

I suppose you could figure out some way to mount the bracket down there and block off that section of front vent with something but you'd also need a longer power cable like @iFreilicht said.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
No. The vent pattern on the front purposely doesn't extend all the way to the top to reduce the amount of exhaust re-circulation by the PSU.

I suppose you could figure out some way to mount the bracket down there and block off that section of front vent with something but you'd also need a longer power cable like @iFreilicht said.
OK thanks, good to know.
All this time I didn't notice the vent offset until you pointed it out!
I'm sure I could concoct something.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
They are aiming for a production price around $250. The early production samples, when they are ready, will be extremely limited and cost substaintially more.

As for measurements, you might just barely be able to fit that under a single GPU but that would be best answered by Aibohphobia

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Could I pay Extra to have 2 5inch bays?

There is no room for 5.25" bays on the case. With extra 2.5" brackets you could theoretically mount 12-16 2.5" drives but it would really limit the parts choice and would be quite a cabling mess.