Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've got a question about PSU cables. Where would you recommend a novice look to learn more about PSU cable splitters? Cleary to power a high-end mATX setup on an SFX PSU, I'm going to need more cables than what comes in the PSU box.

I would be extremely cautious about using PCIe power connector splitters. I carefully crunched the numbers and concluded that splitting the SX600-G's connectors to get the 4x 6-pin I needed for dual stock GTX 980s was safe but that same setup won't necessarily be safe with say dual GTX 980 Ti's.

Instead I'd recommend using a PSU that comes with enough connectors out of the box, the SFX-L Lian Li PE-750 and SilverStone SX700-LPT for example. The upcoming SFX SilverStone SX650-G may have enough but I don't think the cable configuration has been confirmed yet.

The Corsair SF600 has two connectors on the PSU side but the stock cables it comes with each end in only a single 6+2 connector. Custom cables that instead go to 2x 6-pin or 6+8-pin instead should be safe. Dual 8-pin would be risky because cards that require that are typically power hogs and it'd be questionable whether a 600W PSU could adequately power two such cards.

wusiji_doctor

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 22, 2016
The Corsair SF600 is the one I had my eyes on. I wind up basically being two 6+2 pin connectors short of being able to plug everything in with the cables that come with the SF600.

I hadn't looked at the cable configs for the Lian Li or Silverstone 700W+ units - they're quite a bit more expensive, since I have the opportunity to get the Corsair unit for less than $100. But I guess I'd be paying about the same amount after buying the custom cables for the SF600, at least if I went through CableMod.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
will I be able to fit a 295*133*68 mm radiator in the case? If so, where?

If you're referring to the EK Predator 240 it can fit on either the front or bottom. EK doesn't recommend the orientation required to fit the unit on the bottom though but I've seen people reporting that it works just fine like that in other cases, though it remains to be seen if long-term reliability suffers.

It fits on the front with a rear-mounted PSU but only with 1-2mm to spare.

Pics here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...matx-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-29#post-9241

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
@AibohphobiaWhen I look at a comparison website and filter for motherboards with Socket 1151, 2011-3 and AM3+, I see the following distribution:
ATX 249 (137)
µATX 189 (17)
EATX 33 (24)
mITX 32 (8)
EEB 20 (0)
thin mITX 8 (0)
CEB 4 (2)

Between brackets are when I filter for X99, Z170, 990X or 990FX chipsets. So there are almost 10 times as many ATX and EATX boards combined as µATX boards for high-end configurations.

Just something I was looking into.
This is probably the most telling (and disappointing) stat as to the current state of SFF.
That's not to say that there hasn't been moves in the mainstream to SFX PSUs and SFF cases, but manufacturers (and consumers alike) still seem set on the idea of needing these behemoth cases and components with all the bells and whistles they will never use.

Frustratingly for my use-case scenario, there are still only ATX boards supporting TB3 so I'm holding out for the Cerberus-X.

Reactions: wusiji_doctor

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
This is probably the most telling (and disappointing) stat as to the current state of SFF.
That's not to say that there hasn't been moves in the mainstream to SFX PSUs and SFF cases, but manufacturers (and consumers alike) still seem set on the idea of needing these behemoth cases and components with all the bells and whistles they will never use.

Frustratingly for my use-case scenario, there are still only ATX boards supporting TB3 so I'm holding out for the Cerberus-X.

I thought Gigabyte's Gaming series of motherboards which contain Intel's Alpine Ridge USB 3.1 controller support Thunderbolt 3. Two examples are the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 (micro ATX) and the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini iITX). Both of these have a Thunderbolt driver available to download for Windows 10.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
I thought Gigabyte's Gaming series of motherboards which contain Intel's Alpine Ridge USB 3.1 controller support Thunderbolt 3. Two examples are the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 (micro ATX) and the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini iITX). Both of these have a Thunderbolt driver available to download for Windows 10.
There's a thread over on Hard and thus far, no one has successfully managed to get Thunderbolt 3 operating inspite of the driver updates :/

EDIT: The Alpine Ridge controller is no guarantee of support either as the Maximus VIII Impact demonstrated.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Ah, OK. I should have figured that you would be more aware of this than I am.

Sorry to hear TB3 isn't working yet on those motherboards. What the heck, Gigabyte/Intel!

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Ah, OK. I should have figured that you would be more aware of this than I am.

Sorry to hear TB3 isn't working yet on those motherboards. What the heck, Gigabyte/Intel!
The fact that Intel licensed the Alpine Ridge controller almost exclusively to Gigabyte for eternity didn't help adoption in desktops!
Fortunately, with the release of the new MacBook Pro, we should see more TB3 peripherals hitting the market; audio interfaces in particular are where my interests lie.

Regarding the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5, on further investigation it appears it supports the new Gigabyte Alpine Ridge AIC with a BIOS update (which is strangely MIA).
This is very promising as it has dual TB3 ports and HDMI pass through.
Skylake knocks me down to four cores but modern DAWs still don't seem to scale well beyond eight threads anyway.
This board is now a great candidate for the Cerberus!

/apologies for long post

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
(A little off tangent) I just had a look at ChargeTech's Plug (a portable AC power brick) indiegogo campaign, and can't help but imagine leaving one in an SFF case...

Damn all the gear fantasies, LOL

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
It looks like the Ncase M1 FrozenQ reservoir will fit at the 92mm back cut out, right? I saw that there was a poll about this, but unsure what the decision was.

Reactions: Commissariat

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It looks like the Ncase M1 FrozenQ reservoir will fit at the 92mm back cut out, right? I saw that there was a poll about this, but unsure what the decision was.

It's uncertain, but I'm leaning to probably not at this point since so few people plan to use it.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It's uncertain, but I'm leaning to probably not at this point since so few people plan to use it.

What harm is there in supporting it? I'd say if it doesn't hurt, you should include it, especially considering the possibility that this kind of reservoir might become the de-facto standard for SFF cases if other designs use it as well.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The issue is the passthrough holes for the tubing/reservoir inlets.

The problem is if the full holes are there then I feel they should have grommets to cover them up for people who aren't using them. But that's another item to the BOM and while they're not super expensive or anything, it's not an insignificant price either and I think they're ugly and very few people will use the holes.

I was thinking partial cutouts that users could finish cutting out themselves, though Joshua is opposed to that. So we haven't decided for sure yet.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If the rear bracket is still replaceable in the current design, you could make a simple design for a single flat-piece bracket that has the proper cutouts and put it available for download. Than anyone can have it made somewhere or even make it themselves.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, I had forgot about that. The plan is indeed to post dimensions of the rear plate for people to make their own.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016

Hm, I have that reservoir so I guess I am partial in adding a vote to support it. It was a clever idea for the Ncase, and I think it would be a nice addition to this case as well. Especially since I think custom water cooling is more viable in Cerberus than Ncase. But yeah, I understand the tricky decisions.

Reactions: Commissariat

deleted

Chassis Packer
Oct 11, 2016
www.reddit.com
ok I have most of my build down but with the addition of the ekwb aio, i need a new psu. Can someone on this forum please give me a decently priced, sli capable, short cabled psu that works for an I5-6600K and 2 gtx 1070s?