Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Are you going to resend this form to the backers?

Either that or I'll just import the backers (if I can) into the general KI mailing list so everyone's on the same page going forward.

Are you going to publish the results after?

Maybe bits of it, I can't publish the whole thing because I found in some of the earlier surveys that people would put their email address or name in some of the text fields.

Also, some people will be upset if they see that a option/color/feature/etc. they want got plenty of votes but we did not implement. So rather than expending time explaining why this color or that feature was dropped even though it was popular due to manufacturability/cost/schedule/etc. it's better to just not publish that data.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe some statistics would be nice, I'd like to see how many purcent choose aluminium panels over schteel.

Suggestion --> Front-mounted SFX/SFX-L (limits front fan/rad to single 140mm/120mm)
Otherwise people might confuse this with dual 120mm or 120mm thick rads or whatever kids use these days.

Zerofool

Caliper Novice
Nov 23, 2015
~2mm and it'd lighten the case by ~20%.

If this 20% weight reduction would lead to noticeably lower international shipping cost, than I think this should be also mentioned in the survey on the "Design optimization" page, the "Panel material?" question.
If scratch resistance is the same, I personally would prefer aluminum panels and more affordable shipping (being EU-based).

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Suggestion --> Front-mounted SFX/SFX-L (limits front fan/rad to single 140mm/120mm)

Good idea

If this 20% weight reduction would lead to noticeably lower international shipping cost

It doesn't, international shipping cost takes into account both the weight and the box dimensions. Since a case (even one with relatively thick steel panels) is mostly air, the dimensions are more important for determining shipping cost.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just to be clear, this is NOT a guarantee it'll be available for purchase, but grey is doing well in the survey so I figured I'd post a pic I had taken a while ago of it:

Also, only about 7% of respondents so far need the rear water tubing cutouts. The cost of the grommets to cover them are non-trivial, so I was thinking of reducing them to partial cutouts. That way the few who need them can use a dremel and finish cutting them out. Thoughts?

Reactions: PNP

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's darker than I'd like for primer, but it'll do.

Bare metal has almost as many votes for the alternate colors as grey so we'll look into it. I really did not expect it to be so popular.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It'll be just like it says, bare. The question was intended for people painting the panels themselves.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
The question was intended for people painting the panels themselves.

As I probably will be, but be it automotive or model paint, they're not quite as good at keeping out nastiness as powder coats.

Ah well, I'll do some additional coats if need be for color adjustment.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Bare metal --> chrome plating
Bring the bling !

I would guess an automotive coating would suffice, although the information on non-stainless steel isn't abundant about that.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd do, I primarily want a matte red one, a black one is also acceptable, but a bare metal one would allow me to go to my car dealer and having an automotive quality paint applied for 100€ or so.