Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I was wondering if it will be bad having the bottom fan/radiator as intake. Seems every forum and website suggest this for an optimal airflow.
I am curious to know what's your point on this and why you suggest having the bottom as exhaust!
Thank you.

Cool air pulled in through bottom/front radiators, hot air pulled out via top fan(s) / rear fan(s) / GPU blower / PSU fan is the optimal setup.

Reactions: jsco and loader963

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
If you watercool GPU, you HAVE to setup all fans on radiators as exhaust (GPU are generating too much heat. it has to be exhausted as top priority, even if you average gpu/cpu temperature won't be the best of the world). Keep setup #2 but with fans on front radiators placed as exhaust.

edit : obviously you placed blower gpu at the bottom..;)

Why so?

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
Ok, just made a quick IMG to understand... Which one will you suggest of the following configuration, based on your experience?
#2 is the best. More rads = better temps. What I would like to change is to make front rad push configuration.
Also there is actually no difference between bottom intake + top exhaust and top intake + bottom exhaust.

jdcook

Efficiency Noob
Aug 20, 2018
So I've read the thread now but probably missed stuff. And it's been a while since I built a new system but the Cerberus X has me inspired. I'm going to order a case soon to pick up when I go back to the States for Xmas this year. So that gives me time to think about the build, wait for new component announcements, etc. And I have a question: What is the current thinking on relative noise levels for quality AIO systems vs quality air systems? Assume no overclock, upgraded fans if necessary.

I definitely don't want to do custom water and am not especially interested in overclocking. I'm leaning towards a 2700x system but nothing definite yet. Your thoughts most welcome!

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
So I've read the thread now but probably missed stuff. And it's been a while since I built a new system but the Cerberus X has me inspired. I'm going to order a case soon to pick up when I go back to the States for Xmas this year. So that gives me time to think about the build, wait for new component announcements, etc. And I have a question: What is the current thinking on relative noise levels for quality AIO systems vs quality air systems? Assume no overclock, upgraded fans if necessary.

I definitely don't want to do custom water and am not especially interested in overclocking. I'm leaning towards a 2700x system but nothing definite yet. Your thoughts most welcome!

I think that 70% of noise comes from GPU and big tower CPU coolers can be silent. But since you are limited with CPU cooler height in Cerb, better to go with at least 240 AIO. For GPU you can take specific versions like MSI Seahawk or similar products from other vendors.

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
The difference could be only 2-3 degrees. But since gpu will block airflow I would agree that in that case setting bottom fans as exhaust is better idea. but setting front fans as exhaust will give you temp increase on motherboard vrms.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Depends on the AIO, some are pretty noisy. I have about 20 AIO coolers I do fit testing and benchmarks with, Cooler Master makes the best ones as far as noise and tubing flexibility in my opinion. Flexible tube that doesn't kin is critical in this case. I would check reviews to your tastes though.

For air cooling I like the NH-C14S with 2x 140mmx25mm fans as you can pull cool air in right from the vented side panel, and exhaust it out the top. Thermalright also makes one that's similar, I think it's really great but I have no idea what the part number is.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The difference could be only 2-3 degrees. But since gpu will block airflow I would agree that in that case setting bottom fans as exhaust is better idea. but setting front fans as exhaust will give you temp increase on motherboard vrms.
As i wrote, putting fans as exhaust is not to aim gpu/cpu (watercooled components) cooler...but to avoid to expose to intense heat all others components.
Based on my personal with a toasty r9 290x, exhausting heat from gpu is a must..:)

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Wow. For the Cerberus X, are there SSI EEB mount points for the motherboard? How much space there is between the SFX-L internal (front) and the motherboard? Is it possible to utilize a rear fan if one puts the PSU in front and how big? Just wow. This Cerberus X is very interesting.

Reactions: KSliger

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I'm looking for an 18L MicroATX case with a window and the Cerberus seems to fit the bill. The Mach One is also nice, but I prefer a traditional layout. It's almost worth going the extra 1.5L and getting the Cerberus X for full ATX builds.

However, I have a few issues with the case that keep it from being an undisputed top choice for me. Not exactly deal-breakers, but I thought I'd share:

1) A solid top panel option. I don't need top exhaust and I don't want dust to settle into the case from the top. The wooden panels are cool, but I'd like a plain black solid aluminum top panel option.

2) No front audio. I know a lot of people use DACs or have no issue reaching to the back of their case to connect their headphones every time, but I do use and like my front audio connectors. My current motherboard has a built-in headphone amp that only works with the front audio. Given the size of the case, I don't understand why it's missing.

3) I/O on top. I think the vast majority of people who buy this case are enthusiasts who wouldn't put it on the floor. It has a small footprint, there's hardly a reason to put it anywhere but on your desk. I'd definitely prefer to have the I/O on the bottom like the M1.

And 2 questions that I couldn't find easy answers to, I apologize if they've been addressed recently:

1) Are all of the outside panels aluminum? I.e. left, right, top and front? I'm getting mixed information, saying that the case is all steel, but the specs say the panels are aluminum. Is the window panel aluminum too, the portion that is not window?

2) I noticed there are no mounts for 80/92mm fan at the rear. Is this because the ventilation holes can double as mounting holes, or is it not supported for some reason?

Sorry for the long message.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
  1. PM sliger. I might remember they've done solid panels on request
  2. yeah a lot of design decisions were made a long time ago. also the off the shelf USB 3 header cables have a big outline and shell volume, so the only way is to actually make custom PCBs to cram more options like HD Audio and more
  3. The creators were getting considerable unwanted flak for making "an mATX Ncase M1" at the time, so... (also IO in point 2 also means it might interfere with the second 140mm fan at the bottom mount)
---
  1. The chassis is steel. the panels are aluminium. the additional parts and trays are steel
  2. there is, if you order the default config of the front-mounted PSU with the power extension (EDIT: yeah the vents are mounting points for fans.)

Reactions: KSliger

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Wow. For the Cerberus X, are there SSI EEB mount points for the motherboard? How much space there is between the SFX-L internal (front) and the motherboard? Is it possible to utilize a rear fan if one puts the PSU in front and how big? Just wow. This Cerberus X is very interesting.
Sure you can put rear 92mm fan while using front sfx-l psu. Check my build in my signature.
I'm looking for an 18L MicroATX case with a window and the Cerberus seems to fit the bill. The Mach One is also nice, but I prefer a traditional layout. It's almost worth going the extra 1.5L and getting the Cerberus X for full ATX builds.

However, I have a few issues with the case that keep it from being an undisputed top choice for me. Not exactly deal-breakers, but I thought I'd share:

1) A solid top panel option. I don't need top exhaust and I don't want dust to settle into the case from the top. The wooden panels are cool, but I'd like a plain black solid aluminum top panel option.

2) No front audio. I know a lot of people use DACs or have no issue reaching to the back of their case to connect their headphones every time, but I do use and like my front audio connectors. My current motherboard has a built-in headphone amp that only works with the front audio. Given the size of the case, I don't understand why it's missing.

3) I/O on top. I think the vast majority of people who buy this case are enthusiasts who wouldn't put it on the floor. It has a small footprint, there's hardly a reason to put it anywhere but on your desk. I'd definitely prefer to have the I/O on the bottom like the M1.

And 2 questions that I couldn't find easy answers to, I apologize if they've been addressed recently:

1) Are all of the outside panels aluminum? I.e. left, right, top and front? I'm getting mixed information, saying that the case is all steel, but the specs say the panels are aluminum. Is the window panel aluminum too, the portion that is not window?

2) I noticed there are no mounts for 80/92mm fan at the rear. Is this because the ventilation holes can double as mounting holes, or is it not supported for some reason?

Sorry for the long message.
Internal frame is in steel (useful for magnetic filters), and all external panel are in aluminium.

Basically, as soon as you use front sfx psu, you can mount 92mm at rear.

As far as i know, front audio jacks were there on early prototype. However they were deleted to reduce cost and complexity. There is no plan to put them back.
Personnally i’m using also external dac, connected from behind i/o.
I’m also using usb passthrough from my keyboard and mousepad, even if i got front usb port on my cerberus-x..:)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Finally starting to build! Still missing 2x20mm XSPC radiators, 1 more GPU and the CPU, but the dimensions are taken and tubing almost done!
Everything should fit! When it will be done I will post the full list if could be helpful for someone else!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Finally starting to build! Still missing 2x20mm XSPC radiators, 1 more GPU and the CPU, but the dimensions are taken and tubing almost done!
Everything should fit! When it will be done I will post the full list if could be helpful for someone else!

Those 2 Titans look nasty AF in there. :thumb:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
  1. PM sliger. I might remember they've done solid panels on request
  2. yeah a lot of design decisions were made a long time ago. also the off the shelf USB 3 header cables have a big outline and shell volume, so the only way is to actually make custom PCBs to cram more options like HD Audio and more
  3. The creators were getting considerable unwanted flak for making "an mATX Ncase M1" at the time, so... (also IO in point 2 also means it might interfere with the second 140mm fan at the bottom mount)
---
  1. The chassis is steel. the panels are aluminium. the additional parts and trays are steel
  2. there is, if you order the default config of the front-mounted PSU with the power extension (EDIT: yeah the vents are mounting points for fans.)

Sure you can put rear 92mm fan while using front sfx-l psu. Check my build in my signature.

Internal frame is in steel (useful for magnetic filters), and all external panel are in aluminium.

Basically, as soon as you use front sfx psu, you can mount 92mm at rear.

As far as i know, front audio jacks were there on early prototype. However they were deleted to reduce cost and complexity. There is no plan to put them back.
Personnally i’m using also external dac, connected from behind i/o.
I’m also using usb passthrough from my keyboard and mousepad, even if i got front usb port on my cerberus-x..:)

I see, thank you for the information. Maybe I should get a DAC too, but that goes a bit against the idea of SFF. I think anything with USB isn't pass-thru, but has its own built-in DAC.

I also realized it's not possible to have a window and not use top exhaust (even though the pictures on the site with the wooden top panels do show that config), so I guess I'll need a vented top panel after all, and will have to figure out how to direct all airflow up to prevent dust from getting in. I'm guessing the side-panels with the half-windows that only showed the GPUs were scrapped -- probably wise as it's kind of neither here nor there.

Okay, well thanks again. I will weigh the pros and cons and decide. I wish there were more sub-20L MicroATX and ATX cases.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hello everyone. I'm new here on the forum and I'm glad to be part of the community now.

Since Caselabs went out of business, Ive spent days looking for alternatives that share the same high quality minimalist design that Caselabs cases represent, and i think i found it in the Cerberus. In my search for alternatives, i quickly realized that a case with an all metal, mature, and minimalist design is extremely rare - its just not common in this day of cheap building materials, gaudy designs, and RGB.

With the fear that Sliger and KI will suffer the same demise as Caselabs, I quickly placed an order for a Cerberus; a case i feel represents the last of a dying breed.

Now that my feelings are out the way, there is something that i would like as an option - @Aibohphobia mentioned it a couple years ago (yes, Ive spent hours reading through this forum - no life lol) and that option is for rear power button and USB placement. This will make the front of the case look so clean and no cables would be visible through the side openings of the front panel. Id gladly order a new top panel without the power button and USB cut outs. The image of the plate option is below:

Is it possible to get top panel without power button and USB cutouts, and a rear power button and USB plate for the rear? This will make me extremely happy.

We have no where near the same exposure that CaseLabs did to aluminum shortages / increases, business is very good all around.

I really like the bracket that is shown there, I had no idea it existed, if volumes keep going up like they are we should be able to make something like that as it's very simple. Could combine with @QuantumBraced request for plain black top.

Where can we get the half vented half window side panel?

Might be back early next year, we have to be able to justify the costs of repairing the vacuum table to run these though ~$8,000.00 which is spent better elsewhere right now.

No plans for SSI EEB, you could get the adhesive mounts and mod it however.

Depends on the motherboard, I'll add a page in the user manual for this concern as we're building a guide for fitment.

There is a spot to mount a 92mm fan if you have the SFX internal kit, you can also mount card slot blowers which help a lot in some setups.

Big thank you to @MarcParis @Phuncz @VegetableStu @FoskcoRS5 @loader963 @TheHig @fabio and all the others that put in so much work answering questions for the community.

Big props to all those that post their build logs and review here as well, good or bad, means a lot to me and the product. Post the bad, we'll get it fixed!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

It's now a wind tunnel ~_~

(caveats still apply. quote me if you need more info on this config)

Late Edit: yeah in case I forget: the power extender might probably fit when the fans are moved to the other end, but the EPS power plug is over there and the frame of the fan is pushing the plug back to prevent it from hitting the fan blades ,_,

Last edited: