Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
Hmmm.....
I am thinking a primed interior, have the case outside in the weather for a month.
Nicely rusted up on the exterior, with copper tubing on the interior.

Reactions: isabirov

Dan136

What's an ITX?
Mar 1, 2017
Any updates on the tracking emails, I don't know if I made it into the first batch of cases but now you have my hopes up that I might get a surprise present from myself this weekend :)

Order #: 1386094700

Notorious

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2017
So I'm pretty sold on this case. I love the customizability, the modularity, actually being able to buy one and receive it within a decent time frame, it's great. Just had a few questions.

First is the uncoated version going to be cheaper? I was thinking about getting it powder coated locally.

Second, how snug are the USB ports? I wanted to switch one for a HDMI output, but HDMI ports are 1/8" wider. I could always just file it, but if I didn't have to that'd be great, or could you guys do something like that? Just widening the USB port.

Third, is the window you mentioned that might be available going to be glass or acrylic? I worked construction for a long time so I know the strength of tempered glass, but for a machine being used in a portable application, I'd still worry about it breaking and cleaning up tempered glass out of a case would be a nightmare.

The6A

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
Working on adding both sides solid as an option for a small extra charge.

Shipments mostly left today, there's about 20 that are going tomorrow but they're all West Coast and will be to people Friday or Saturday depending on mail. Let me know if you did or did not receive tracking, have a feeling something is wrong with tracking confirmation emails.

Any order should get out in 48 hours.

Yeah I haven't gotten an emails about shipping. Just the original order conformation

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Any updates on the tracking emails, I don't know if I made it into the first batch of cases but now you have my hopes up that I might get a surprise present from myself this weekend :)

Order #: 1386094700

Your order is shipped, I will have to manually email out tracking as ShipWorks is failing to send any emails.

Will you guys be making the window side panel?, as like the one you had on display before?

Yes, plus a full side window.

So I'm pretty sold on this case. I love the customizability, the modularity, actually being able to buy one and receive it within a decent time frame, it's great. Just had a few questions.

First is the uncoated version going to be cheaper? I was thinking about getting it powder coated locally.

Second, how snug are the USB ports? I wanted to switch one for a HDMI output, but HDMI ports are 1/8" wider. I could always just file it, but if I didn't have to that'd be great, or could you guys do something like that? Just widening the USB port.

Third, is the window you mentioned that might be available going to be glass or acrylic? I worked construction for a long time so I know the strength of tempered glass, but for a machine being used in a portable application, I'd still worry about it breaking and cleaning up tempered glass out of a case would be a nightmare.

No cheaper on unfinished panels, panel is USB only but with unfinished could sand it out and get a panel mount HDMI easily.

It will be Clear Lexan Polycarbonate, tempered glass is a no go.

Crysilus

Caliper Novice
Nov 7, 2017
Yes, plus a full side window.

It will be Clear Lexan Polycarbonate, tempered glass is a no go.

I'm glad you have plans for a full side window. Is there any reason not to have it tempered glass? If it's poly like you said I may try and do a custom tempered glass mod. What is the thickness of the poly panel?

00jknight

What's an ITX?
Nov 30, 2017
Yo I just found the Cerberus case and it looks aesthetically perfect. I'm about to buy myself a new computer for Christmas and would love some feedback from you kind folks before I buy & build this thing!

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/00jknight/saved/ks76XL

Please let me know if I should buy a specific case fan or CPU cooler!

Also is the Cerberus available for shipping to Canada? Like can I buy this thing RIGHT NOW and get it NEXT WEEK?

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Yo I just found the Cerberus case and it looks aesthetically perfect. I'm about to buy myself a new computer for Christmas and would love some feedback from you kind folks before I buy & build this thing!

Also is the Cerberus available for shipping to Canada? Like can I buy this thing RIGHT NOW and get it NEXT WEEK?
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7Pqsyf
If you're doing this for gaming this will suit you way better. And I know it's slightly more expensive but the extra power will be worth it.
You can also save some cash on the windows 10 key on Reddit. Buildapc subreddit has plenty of them.
I'd use the money saved on that on a good CPU cooler cryorig c1 is great. And if storage isn't a huge issue I'd recommend the Seagate firecuda drives. You can get a 2tb for the same price as that Toshiba. I've never had good luck with Toshiba drives personally.

Last edited:

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
Hey guys two questions.

What size standoffs should I be getting if I intend to put a micro ATX board in the X?

Also, any update on tracking emails? I still gotta order a few things.

Thanks

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
@W1NN1NG
The +$220 difference is hard to justify when you consider that GTX1080 is just $220 more than the RX580.
I think that if anyone is going to spend the extra $220 for better performance in games, they would be better off keeping the R5-1600 and adding a GTX1080 to the cart instead.

To add: If the current trend continues, Intel will likely discard that socket next year. Until Intel comes out to say otherwise (like their rapid response to the core war), you can almost expect Intel to retire and replace their sockets on a yearly basis (and possibly the Chipset too).

At any rate, the real difference in performance will only matter on a 144Hz+ display. Often times, at higher resoltions (do people still game at 1080p? Yuck) both processors fall ~10fps of another (admittedly, AMD will lose that battle in most games)
Max:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_8400/13.html
Mins:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_8400/15.html

@Dharwin
If you send a PM to @KSliger with your order number, they will reply back with your tracking number.
Unfortunately, there was an issue with their email client sending out tracking numbers so it's may be the only way to get a tracking number until the issue is resolved for future orders.

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I'm glad you have plans for a full side window. Is there any reason not to have it tempered glass? If it's poly like you said I may try and do a custom tempered glass mod. What is the thickness of the poly panel?

Ballstuds will not hold the weight of glass =/

0.100"

Reactions: VegetableStu

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hey guys two questions.

What size standoffs should I be getting if I intend to put a micro ATX board in the X?

Also, any update on tracking emails? I still gotta order a few things.

Thanks

I like this idea, .279" tall for standoffs, let me know if you find them we'd like that as an option.

Please PM me for tracking with order number.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/00jknight/saved/ks76XL

In stock! Shipping every day, you order by Monday you should have it by Friday to most of Canada. (Sorry Yukonians)

Also for all the ordered CARMINE RED, we had a small issue with red powder, it's chipping off - all red panel orders are on hold till new box gets here tomorrow. Apologies to all that ordered red panels, we'll get this fixed ASAP.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
@W1NN1NG
The +$220 difference is hard to justify when you consider that GTX1080 is just $220 more than the RX580.
I think that if anyone is going to spend the extra $220 for better performance in games, they would be better off keeping the R5-1600 and adding a GTX1080 to the cart instead.

To add: If the current trend continues, Intel will likely discard that socket next year. Until Intel comes out to say otherwise (like their rapid response to the core war), you can almost expect Intel to retire and replace their sockets on a yearly basis (and possibly the Chipset too).

At any rate, the real difference in performance will only matter on a 144Hz+ display. Often times, at higher resoltions (do people still game at 1080p? Yuck) both processors fall ~10fps of another (admittedly, AMD will lose that battle in most games)
Max:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_8400/13.html
Mins:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_8400/15.html

@Dharwin
If you send a PM to @KSliger with your order number, they will reply back with your tracking number.
Unfortunately, there was an issue with their email client sending out tracking numbers so it's may be the only way to get a tracking number until the issue is resolved for future orders.
I believe the 1080 is more of a difference than that in Canada. The 1070s I looked at in there were like 600. So. The only reason I say Intel is because from benches I've seen the 8400 out performs even in games the ipc just isn't there on ryzen. And the 220 difference wasn't just considering the cPU. The 580 is a perfectly capable card I gave him an nvme and a better storage drive