Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Rubricae

Efficiency Noob
Jan 13, 2017
Between the PSU and the front vents? I highly doubt it, it's quite tight in there. I think I remember asking if a dust filter would fit there and the answer was "no"

If you mean between the vent and the front panel cover (technically outside the case), you could (according to a fitting experiment by MarcParis)

You can fit two 140mm fans in front in CX, but not the regular cerberus. As for the bottom you can definitely fit two 140mm fans.

Yeah I was meaning on the inside between the PSU and the frame but I can see now that an SFX PSU is literally pressed against it. That answers my question for the front lol.
Cheers for the pics, looks like I'll be using the bottom as main air inlet with two 140mm CRYORIG fans.

Also, has anyone tried designing custom demciflex filters to perfectly fit the Cerberus? From skimming through a few threads I've mostly only seen standard sized filters used, 120mm etc. Would it be worthwhile ordering custom fit ones?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I dont see why we couldnt have one of those magnetic dust filters on the front mesh but behind the front painted panel.
you can. I was refering to the space between the PSU and the mesh from the back o_o

paging @MarcParis

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oh one more thing:

What's the maximum height for a CPU cooler to fit under there now?

EDIT: also also

No vertical GPU plans in near term but certainly is possible with a bracket and flex riser set.

sounds interesting! gonna check my "sketchbook" for a bit. I kinda have doubts on the power sockets on the first GPU if it's facing upwards under the risered second one above it...

EDITx2: yeah i did the sketch. there's only space for a 1-slot-mounting card ,_,

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

terex

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! I noticed that KI's Cerberus recommendations gave a shoutout to DEMCiflex dust filters. I checked them out, and I will probably go with them (unless anyone else has input here? Enlighten me, please!).

I noticed that DEMCIflex offers complete kits for specific cases, and specifically for other projects like the Dr Zaber Sentry and DAN A4. I shot them a message with a couple questions: Will DEMCiflex eventually offer similar kits for the two versions of the Cerberus case? And is it possible to use the filters on the inside panels of a case, rather than the outside, without an impact to performance? I asked the second question becaues I want to preserve the Cerberus's sleek aesthetic, so having the filters out of sight is preferred. Filters are necessary for me because I have a service German Shedder Shepherd Dog, and fighting the fur battle is a never-ending one!

They quickly responded that they can make the filters for the Cerberus only if they have the necessary measurements, although the response did not answer my question of if they would (eventually) have Cerberus kits at the ready for customers to order directly, rather than customers having to place a custom order and provide the measurements themselves. Also, I noticed that DEMCiflex has different sized filters to fit the DAN A4 both internally and externally. Would placing the filters internally on the case necessitate different measurements? Also, they stated that the filters can be placed internally; however, it necessitates opening up the case panels to clean the filters.

Anyway, would either of @PlayfulPhoenix or @KSliger be able to provide the measurements for proper fit (both internal and external) for both Cerberus and the Cerberus X/ATX chassis, please? Also, any advice or informtion that I should be aware of on the Cerberus side of things as far as placing the dust filters internally? I plan to have a positive-pressure set up, but what exactly that ends up being I have no idea.

Thanks, everyone!

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
While we wait: The hinge is there, so keeping the PSU kissing-close to the side panel probably means the disuse of the side bracket ._.
Even with the Silverstone bracket there isn't use for it, but you do then have access to 240mm on the front and bottom simultaneously. With the PSU front mounted you lose out on the front and then you still only have 140mm-ish on the side bracket if I recall.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Hey guys! I noticed that KI's Cerberus recommendations gave a shoutout to DEMCiflex dust filters. I checked them out, and I will probably go with them (unless anyone else has input here? Enlighten me, please!).

Just as a note, but DEMCIflex filters - while insane in filtering dust, is also insanely restrictive in regards to airflow which results in a big increase in noise levels (for me at least), so unless you really need your PC to be that dustfree and don't have an hour ever 6 months to clean it, i would get less restricive ones - I don't use mine.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
Just as a note, but DEMCIflex filters - while insane in filtering dust, is also insanely restrictive in regards to airflow which results in a big increase in noise levels (for me at least), so unless you really need your PC to be that dustfree and don't have an hour ever 6 months to clean it, i would get less restricive ones - I don't use mine.

+1 for this. I've soapboxed about air filters in this thread before, but it's worth repeating. Cerberus is a case designed for airflow. Airflow is a compromise between CFM and noise. Intake air filters significantly shift your CFM-vs-noise curve downward. It's a huge factor in PC performance, but it seems like no one wants to talk about it or study it, even the people who obsess over which CPU cooler is 1 degree C better than the others. (This is true for water cooling also. In a water cooled PC, it's still airflow that removes heat from the case, and airflow causes most of the noise.)

By far the most significant factor in filter airflow restriction is porosity or % open area (see here and here). More open area, more airflow, less noise. Most filter mesh is 50% open area or less, unless you specifically go looking for high porosity materials. The problem is, as hole size gets smaller, the mesh filaments have to get smaller to achieve high porosity, which makes them fragile. Steel works better than nylon when you get down to dust-filtration-sized holes.

My favorite filter material is this epoxy-coated steel mesh from Mcmaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#9641t14/=1a72x78 (24 mesh count, 830 micron hole size, 62% open area)
It's sturdy, it's black, it's magnetic, it holds shape but it's bendable, it cuts with heavy scissors, and it keeps out fibrous dust just fine. It doesn't completely keep out fine powdery dust, but in practice, not much gets through, and that size of dust doesn't clump up and is easy to blow out with compressed air. (I vacuum my filters every couple months, and they're furry. I've only blown out the case maybe twice in three years, and it barely needed it.)

I also just found this stuff, which looks incredible from the specs, but a little too expensive for me to order on a whim:
https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-ma...0-mesh-woven-stainless-high-transparency-0012 (100 mesh count, 224 micron hole size, 79% open area!)
If it's sturdy enough to work with and survive dusting/vacuuming, this might be the ultimate filter material. (If anyone tries it, please report back.)

I've never been able to find specifics on Demci's filter material, but I would guess it's under 50% open area. They state that the hole size is 100 micron. Good for cleanliness, bad for airflow.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
+1 for this. I've soapboxed about air filters in this thread before, but it's worth repeating. Cerberus is a case designed for airflow. Airflow is a compromise between CFM and noise. Intake air filters significantly shift your CFM-vs-noise curve downward. It's a huge factor in PC performance, but it seems like no one wants to talk about it or study it, even the people who obsess over which CPU cooler is 1 degree C better than the others. (This is true for water cooling also. In a water cooled PC, it's still airflow that removes heat from the case, and airflow causes most of the noise.)

By far the most significant factor in filter airflow restriction is porosity or % open area (see here and here). More open area, more airflow, less noise. Most filter mesh is 50% open area or less, unless you specifically go looking for high porosity materials. The problem is, as hole size gets smaller, the mesh filaments have to get smaller to achieve high porosity, which makes them fragile. Steel works better than nylon when you get down to dust-filtration-sized holes.

My favorite filter material is this epoxy-coated steel mesh from Mcmaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#9641t14/=1a72x78 (24 mesh count, 830 micron hole size, 62% open area)
It's sturdy, it's black, it's magnetic, it holds shape but it's bendable, it cuts with heavy scissors, and it keeps out fibrous dust just fine. It doesn't completely keep out fine powdery dust, but in practice, not much gets through, and that size of dust doesn't clump up and is easy to blow out with compressed air. (I vacuum my filters every couple months, and they're furry. I've only blown out the case maybe twice in three years, and it barely needed it.)

I also just found this stuff, which looks incredible from the specs, but a little too expensive for me to order on a whim:
https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-ma...0-mesh-woven-stainless-high-transparency-0012 (100 mesh count, 224 micron hole size, 79% open area!)
If it's sturdy enough to work with and survive dusting/vacuuming, this might be the ultimate filter material. (If anyone tries it, please report back.)

I've never been able to find specifics on Demci's filter material, but I would guess it's under 50% open area. They state that the hole size is 100 micron. Good for cleanliness, bad for airflow.
Looks like several of us would need to want it and lump together a single order for best usage..

dragonshardz

Efficiency Noob
Nov 10, 2017
PTW with a question: Can we get updated SketchUp files of the official production model in the 3 different PSU configs to help with planning?

Really looking forward to the day when I have the scratch to buy one of these beauties.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
While not suitable for many applications where minimum z-height is a factor, it might be worth investigating filters other than single-layer meshes. For example, automotive air intake filters (the oiled type may allow for high airflow rates with minimal restriction), or speaker-front filters (the material used on commercial site/concert speakers can be purchased in bulk for relatively cheap).

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

We're actually working with Demciflex currently to have the provide Cerberus-specific filters. So hopefully that wlll go through; otherwise we can provide measurements for folks to roll their own.

PTW with a question: Can we get updated SketchUp files of the official production model in the 3 different PSU configs to help with planning?

I'll see what I can do, but this is the sort of thing that James could put together and that I simply don't know how to.

nemotron

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
Dress panel with some airflow functionality. No vertical GPU plans in near term but certainly is possible with a bracket and flex riser set.

How does one go about doing that? I would pay a good bit for that. It would make the case pretty perfect in my eyes.
I only plan on running 1 card so I wanted to leave the case vertical to save on footprint and still show off the graphics card instead of having to tip the whole case sideways.