TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
This log is a bit disorganized perhaps but here is the most recent state of the Cerberus X on my desk.

After years of building the custom water bug finally bit. Really enjoying the results and challenges of getting WC going in the Cerberus X.

From Air:

To Water:

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Well Zen2 is here and the loop has been taken down and the x470 board, cpu and Vega sold off.

All stock air so far .

Meg Ace x570
3900x
32Gb Team Dark Pro 3200
Sammy Evo 970 500Gb
Crucial mx5001tb m.2
EVGA 2060Super ultra
Corsair SF600
Cerb x of course

Currently set on my system:
I'm on the release bios for the Meg Ace. 3900x stock air cooler.
changes by me in bios:
manual ram settings (no xmp)
-0.05v cpu offset
cool and quiet set to enabled
c6 enabled
fan curves set in bios
Windows 1809 with Ryzen Power plan (newest chipset drivers) Manually set CPU to minimum state of 10% in power adv settings

Runs amazingly well and stable as hell so far (about a week) I will update bios when the new agesa comes out most likely.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well Zen2 is here and the loop has been taken down and the x470 board, cpu and Vega sold off.

All stock air so far .

Meg Ace x570
3900x
32Gb Team Dark Pro 3200
Sammy Evo 970 500Gb
Crucial mx5001tb m.2
EVGA 2060Super ultra
Corsair SF600
Cerb x of course

I'm on the release bios for the Meg Ace. 3900x stock air cooler.
changes by me in bios:
-0.05v cpu offset
c6 enabled
fan curves set in bios
Windows 1809 with Ryzen Power plan (newest chipset drivers) Manually set CPU to minimum state of 10% in power adv settings

Runs amazingly well and stable as hell so far (about a week) I will update bios when the new agesa comes out most likely.

Maybe I'm wrong, but why have bottom fans placed as exhaust?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
For me I find that negative pressure works well with the various setups I hav tried. Just yank all the heat out of the box as fast as possible. A front intake below the psu is an option to feed fresh air as well.

WC setup was intake front 240 rad. Exhaust floor rad and exhaust 120 thin top fan.

If I go with a 240 CLC on the cpu it will be floor exhaust push through the rad.

Right now I have what I consider great temps/noise balance for what’s installed.

Gpu hitting 76 or so max and CPU 66-68 after a couple of hours gaming.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
For me I find that negative pressure works well with the various setups I hav tried. Just yank all the heat out of the box as fast as possible. A front intake below the psu is an option to feed fresh air as well.

WC setup was intake front 240 rad. Exhaust floor rad and exhaust 120 thin top fan.

If I go with a 240 CLC on the cpu it will be floor exhaust push through the rad.

Right now I have what I consider great temps/noise balance for what’s installed.

Gpu hitting 76 or so max and CPU 66-68 after a couple of hours gaming.
understood..I mis others fans setup..:D

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Posted some of this over at @MarcParis mega Cerberus X build thread so anyone seeing this here should check his treasure trove of info and experience.

Here is the CPU cooler update from the Prism and how the Daily Driver is going to roll for hopefully a quite some time.

I do currently run a -.1v offset on CPU voltage so there is some loss on clocks but in games I'm still seeing 4150 to 4175 when several cores are utilized. Blows the 2600 I had away in games even at that modest speed. Multi threaded apps show monster gains from MOAR CoRZ of course.The lack of RGB is probably hurting my FPS as well .

Specs:

Meg Ace x570
3900x
32Gb Team Dark Pro 3200
Sammy Evo 970 500Gb
Crucial mx5001tb m.2
EVGA 2060Super ultra
Corsair SF600
Cerb x of course

I'm on the release bios for the Meg Ace. Waiting for full ABB bios to mess with it more as its stable for me now.
changes by me in bios:
-0.1v cpu offset
c6 enabled
fan curves set in bios

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm still amazed how many gaps we have between our build on cooling, despite using almost same fans...:):)

• NH-C14S : you putheatpipes towards RAM sticks, where I put them towards I/O rear
  • NH-C14S : Exhaust fan on side bracket (I'm trying right now exhaust mode with fan clips to maximize cpu cooling)
  • Top fan : nf-a12x15 exhaust (was in exhaust, trying intake now)
  • bottom fan : dual 25mx120mm as exhaust (vs intake)
  • front bottom : intake (we agree..;))
  • Rear : None (vs intake 92mm)
It's a 2 cooling blocks case :
  • one for GPU (intake from front, exhaust from bottom)
  • one for CPU : (intake from side, exhaust from top)
Based on my experience, what I'm sure is that side fan (140mm) is the BIGGEST exhaust fan, even for gpu..:)

I'm also eager to test my new setup..;)

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Looking forward to see your results.

In a traditional tower orientation I’m finding a good balance this way. The 1080ti you have puts out a ton more heat into your chassis vs the 2060 super I have so that is noteworthy. Also I’m slightly under volting the cpu. Interested to see if the floor exhaust helps you there. At work now but If I have time tonight I’ll try to get some screen shots of some temps. I see spikes like most on Ryzen 2 in HwInfo when launching apps and so on but normalized temps while gaming are really decent. CB runs push them up of course. I’m sure under an intense all core load I’ll hit 80 like most are seeing with these CPUs. Will have to test.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Looking forward to see your results.

In a traditional tower orientation I’m finding a good balance this way. The 1080ti you have puts out a ton more heat into your chassis vs the 2060 super I have so that is noteworthy. Also I’m slightly under volting the cpu. Interested to see if the floor exhaust helps you there. At work now but If I have time tonight I’ll try to get some screen shots of some temps. I see spikes like most on Ryzen 2 in HwInfo when launching apps and so on but normalized temps while gaming are really decent. CB runs push them up of course. I’m sure under an intense all core load I’ll hit 80 like most are seeing with these CPUs. Will have to test.
Well, Well I'm currently testing a third alternative fan setup...Intel Burn test is ongoing...and it will surprise you..:):)

Keep you informed by end of the day..;)

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
@TheHig I've refershed a few times but unforunately cannot view your pics. Any direct links?
[/QUO

That’s a bummer. I see them now on my iPhone — edited the posts with pics with an added row of space. Sometimes that has helped in the past.

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks @TheHig. I just went through a clicked "Wow" on the posts that did show up. I'm mainly interested in aircooling setups but any and all pics are great for Cerberus/X building.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Check post 27 in this thread for the current setup. All air and keeping it that way. I am seeing the pix now here at home.

Thanks @TheHig. I just went through a clicked "Wow" on the posts that did show up. I'm mainly interested in aircooling setups but any and all pics are great for Cerberus/X building.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@TheHig would it possible to run Intel Bun Test 2.54, very high profile, with fan at max please?
I would like to how c14s is handling 2xccd of your r9 3900x..:)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
I ran it with my current everyday settings which is -.1v CPU offset and custom fan curve to see where it sits. Ambient temp is fairly low at 19-20C.

--I am having a rough time posting images since the forum face lift for some reason. I see the image but get an error when I click on it in the post?

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

You mean like this?..:)
I usually toggle off BBcode..;)

Anyway thanks a lot for the test..;) It's taking around 10min (12 cores) vs 15min (8cores).

Max temp of 67°C...your ambiant temp is definitely low..:D:D

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Yeah -older house (1954) and even though the basement is finished it’s always chilly down there. Great for PC temps and super nice on hot summer days though!

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Check post 27 in this thread for the current setup. All air and keeping it that way. I am seeing the pix now here at home.
My bad. I had something toggled funky on PrivacyBadger on my FFox. I fixed it.

Do you still have the ROG Strix card? I am curious if you could show it and a 25mm thick fan. Would they fit together in the front? I'm guessing no, but hoping yes.