Log D4RKASAURUS REX

MeltedCactus

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 7, 2017
Hello everyone and welcome to my build log. This will be a slow mover as parts trickle in over the next couple of months.

I'm in the process of putting together a new rig featuring the EVGA Z690 Dark and 13900K. I know I know... it's an EATX board. So why am I posting on SFF? Welp, this build will be housed inside of the the Sliger Cerberus X. If I'm being totally honest, my hope is that an XL version will be ready by summer. So maybe, just maybe you can't exactly call this build SFF, but it's certainly not a mid-tower by any means.

With that said, let's lay out some specs.

Motherboard: EVGA Z690 Dark
RAM: 2x16GB - 32GB DDR5 7200Mhz CL34
CPU: Intel 13900K (Will be de-lidded via Rockitcool's copper kit)
GPU: 2080ti (Eventually will become a 4090 or I may actually wait for the 5000 series.)
Storage: 1TB WD Black SN850X (OS), 1TB WD Black SN850X x 2 (RAID 0)
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum (Will eventually be upgraded when the new GPU is introduced)
Case: Sliger Cerberus X
Cooling: Heatkiller LGA1700 Heavy Backplate, Thermal Grizzly Contact Frame, EKWB Monarch RAM Modules, TBD

Now, for my parts list rational... if you care.
Motherboard: I just love the look of the Dark and used EVGA's X299 Dark in a previous build. I'm excited to be back in the EVGA family.
RAM: I would ultimately like a 64GB kit, but speeds are just too slow right now for individual 32GB sticks on DDR5. If I'm honest I just game anyway, so 64GB is overkill.
CPU: Why not? I'm actually undecided on air cooling the CPU or not. I know, the 13900K runs hot. My hope is with de-lidding and use of the contact frame a good tower cooler can keep it in check when gaming. I don't really care if synthetic benchmarks thermal throttle it. I don't intend to play Cinebench all day.
GPU: Man... I was ready to buy a 4090 and the rumors had me excited. However, it really let me down if I'm honest. The performance is great no doubt, but I have two main issues with them right now. The new connector. Looks are important to me when choosing parts, and there just aren't a lot of PSUs with the new connector type and I refuse to have some ugly adapter on display in my build. It sounds ridiculous I know, but it's the truth. SFX PSUs are particularly slim for choice in this department right now. The other issue is size and power draw. Again, for SFX PSUs with the required wattage and new connector I believe there is only a Cooler Master availabe, which I'm not particularly fond of. I would also rather just run it on air, but no cards other than the FE fit in the Cerberus X. So, I will wait as long as I can to see if the 5000 series shrinks and becomes more efficient, or my patience runs out and I put a 4090 on water.
Storage: 1TB for the OS and other applications. The RAID 0 setup will be used for my game library. I was going to go with 4TB in RAID 0, but I'm lucky enough to have fiber so uninstalling and re-downloading games isn't a huge concern. I actually don't even fill up my 1TB game library drive now.
PSU: See GPU section
Case: I just love the quality and small footprint. It makes cooling tough, but the quality and small size to me is way more important than just throwing this build in an O11.
Cooling: Lots to figure out, but first instinct is to put the GPU on water and CPU on air. If a Cerberus XL comes out I may put them both on water. I'f also toyed around with the idea of an external radiator build, but not sure how I feel. Lots TBD in this section.

• Love
Reactions: mknrls and confusis

MeltedCactus

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 7, 2017
Finally, I got to testing. Instead of a 13900K I went the 12900K since Microcenter had such a great deal. I also went with 6800Mhz CL34.

I immediately delided it and have been impressed with the results. 96 degrees all core after a long Cinnebench run.

i’m happy with the score and very happy with the temps after a delid. Using the Noctua 92mm Chromax I’ve only managed to hit low 80s in all of my runs.