CableMod minimum lengths

tjh1989

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I was playing around with the cablemod cable configurator and noticed that, for the 24pin atx cable, the minimum length is 25cm (for other cables its 15cm). The SFF site article on this (https://smallformfactor.net/news/cablemod-configurator-design-custom-psu-cables) suggested that it had been reduced from 30cm to 15cm but this does not appear to be the case for the 24pin atx.

25cm is too quit a bit too long for an ITX case so perhaps i'll write to them and see if it can be reduced further. i can see no reason why it shouldn't have the same minimum as for the other types of cables.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
@royalba94 any insight on this?

While I don't have any connections at/with CableMod, I do have a thought as to why this could be the case.

i can see no reason why it shouldn't have the same minimum as for the other types of cables.
I'm thinking that the reason they have the min. length at 25cm probably has to do with the sometimes messy pinout of the 24pin and likely that combined with how their tooling is set up.

In the case of the Corsair SF600 PSU the pinout is quite bad because there are lots of wires that have to cross over each other.

Here is one 24pin for it that I made so you can see what I mean:

Hopefully that all made sense but that that is my 2 cents on the subject :)

tjh1989

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017

While I don't have any connections at/with CableMod, I do have a thought as to why this could be the case.

I'm thinking that the reason they have the min. length at 25cm probably has to do with the sometimes messy pinout of the 24pin and likely that combined with how their tooling is set up.

In the case of the Corsair SF600 PSU the pinout is quite bad because there are lots of wires that have to cross over each other.

Here is one 24pin for it that I made so you can see what I mean:

Hopefully that all made sense but that that is my 2 cents on the subject :)

Ah makes sense I suppose. Thanks for the response.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, they've increased the minimum since they launched the service. A few times too I think.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Makes me wonder why Corsair didn't simplify the layout of the cables by adjusting the pin outputs on the modular connections inside the PSU...

Reactions: royalba94

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They reused an existing pinout from the RMx/RMi where the cables are long enough this wasn't so much of an issue.