Power Supply Any interest in custom-length HDPLEX cables?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Jan 11 2017 Update: CableMod will be adding the HDPLEX to the Configurator in a few days!

Survey <-- link

I've been talking with Cablemod and they plan to offer non-sleeved cables to their Configurator service and I mentioned it'd be nice if they could offer cables for the HDPLEX units since space is always at a premium in builds that use it.

They were wondering what kind of demand there is though, anyone interested in being able to order custom-length PCIe, CPU, mobo, and SATA cables for their HDPLEX 250W/160W DC-ATX units?

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I put 4-pin CPU as an option in the poll. But would a 8-pin to 4+4 work?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
You can count me in !

Black non-sleeved cables would suit best smaller cases.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
I put 4-pin CPU as an option in the poll. But would a 8-pin to 4+4 work?

For my OSMI build, there was a super tight space between the 4pin CPU connector and the fan. I had to wire my own cable to avoid having the extra 4 pin connector smack into the fan. TBH. With a pin extractor it's a super easy fix to do on your own, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Black non-sleeved cables would suit best smaller cases.

I think so too. Any thoughts on ribbon vs individual wires?

I had to wire my own cable to avoid having the extra 4 pin connector smack into the fan.

That makes sense. But you don't really need a 8-pin to 4-pin, just a 4-pin to 4-pin would be fine.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The CableMod wires should be about the same flexibility as the SilverStone ones if it matters.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
That makes sense. But you don't really need a 8-pin to 4-pin, just a 4-pin to 4-pin would be fine.

But would it fit? The HDPLEX has an 8pin for the CPU connector with the locking latch on the center.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's the same as plugging just a 4-pin into a motherboard with an 8-pin CPU connector, you just use half of it.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Be sure to fill out the survey if you're interested! I'm going to use it to show CableMod if there's demand.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm probably going to get an HDPlex PSU at some point, I might as well do it when there is a project that needs support, so +1 for me.