Power Supply Any interest in custom-length HDPLEX cables?

Frostbite

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 27, 2017
been lurking for some time and just finished a preliminary s4 mini and HDPlex 300 build over the weekend. I am also looking for a cleaner solution for the 24 pin cable; have anyone done an install with 2.5 inch cable and is that the shortest length that would work? Somehow that seems like a lot since the HDPlex plug is only about an 1.5 inch above the 24 pin connector of my board (ASRock Z170). I understand the 90 degree turn is an issue but could any of the cable sleeve manufacturer take that into account to further shorten the run? or, is there such a thing as a 90 degree head on the 24 pin connector?
Sorry for any incorrect terminology as I am a complete newb at this.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Similar question: Is there a way to neatly splice a 90-degree-turn into a wire and then sleeve it?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Similar question: Is there a way to neatly splice a 90-degree-turn into a wire and then sleeve it?
For a bundle of wires? Each wire needs to pass around a different radius, then cut to length (different lengths for each wire).

That example uses old-school cable lacing, but you could also use cable ties or cable combs to keep the wires in place. Or for unsleeved wiring, you might even be able to use adhesive to bond the wire insulation together.

Frostbite

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 27, 2017
Yes, I found something similar as well. However its not clear to me if this is something that is meant to plug into an existing 24 pins connector to turn it 90 degree or to replace a 24 pin plug via removal and soldering, which I suspect is.
The lacing example looks great, but is probably more meticulous than what I have patience for.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017

"My margin of error is around +/- 1mm per row."

Ok, well I'm a mere mortal.

Re: It being hard to cut plastic, though... If you have proper tools it shouldn't be that bad. But rather than trying to chop shop your own, I feel like 3D printing is probably the way to go with such a tight tolerance.

The pins are so long... do they need to be so long? If you had shorter pins that didn't need to make the 90-degree turn, the project would be significantly easier.

All that said, just custom-wiring my power cables is going to be a new journey for me and this is like five levels deeper into that dungeon.

Frostbite

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 27, 2017
All that said, just custom-wiring my power cables is going to be a new journey for me and this is like five levels deeper into that dungeon.
This is where I am as well, considering that I was pretty proud of myself for just being able to plug all the parts together and have the PC turn on. Custom fabrication of a plug is probably way out for me. Having just came back from a trip to Taiwan, I am amazed that out of the millions of components I saw in the electronic district, that a 24 pins power plug is not a thing that exists.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I think the best way to do it would be to fabricate a two piece plug (similar to the one he chopped up in my link). Run long pins that stick up a lot, use a jig to bend them all at once at a 90 defree angle. Push them down flush with the edge, then insert very long pins into the 'top' row. Bend again to 90 degrees. Pull the bottom row up, thread the top connector on and then trim the pins to the right length. Two part connector locks on, rinse and repeat.

At least, this is the animation in my head that is playing.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I would assume it's the same as the regular Configurator options:
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Light Blue
  • Light Green
  • Orange
  • Purple
  • Red
  • Silver
  • White
  • Yellow
  • Pink
  • Gold

mjwalks

What's an ITX?
Mar 24, 2017
I sent them a query last night where I click on, "can't see your PSU" and asked if they would do short cables for the HDplex 300w. Got back an email today saying they had no plans on doing cables at all for the hdplex...

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Any update on this? Time seems to fly by and still no proper way to get custom length cables for the HDPLEX :/

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Yes, there is : https://beyondcustoms.net

They will do any type of custom harness, HDPLEX or anything else, standard wire harness or not.

Custom service is really great : for instance, I received a first set of cables few weeks ago but there had been a misunderstanding on one "not standard" wire harness.
Beyondcustoms contact answered very quickly - as usual - and made the new harness within days, at no extra cost.
He is very nice, very reactive, same as Larry from HDPLEX.

Sleeving quality is great ; they use MDPC-X sleeves.

I'll post some pictures once I got the definitive cables.