Power Supply Any interest in custom-length HDPLEX cables?

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Are they going to allow you to configure a length shorter than 250mm for the 24pin? Because currently, that's the shortest custom 24pin cable length they will make.

EDIT: Also i like how HDPLEX made the CPU and PCI-E pinout the same, so i can switch them if i want to. Arranged in the S4 mini, the PCI-E connector on the PSU will be on the side where the CPU motherboard connector is, and the CPU connector on the PSU will be on the side closest to the graphics card.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm going to ask about that too.

So once I confirm the HDPLEX 250W/300W will be supported I'll pester them about bare wire and shorter minimum lengths. Don't want to annoy them before we at least get the HDPLEX's as an option :p

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Josh had mentioned he made a custom 2" 24pin cable in the S4 mini with the new HDPLEX 300w PSU, but also said that he did it with a jig and that if you just made a straight 2" 24pin cable it probably wouldn't fit the exact same setup. So would we want a 3 or 4" straight cable to make up that difference?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, you'd want some slack.

A really short cable looks very nice, but at that point you have to take into consideration that the outside row of pins on the 24-pin would need slightly longer wires than the inside row, due to the curvature, as the cable bends from the HDPLEX to the mobo.

I've even seen people like @WiSK calculate the length of every single wire down to 0.1mm to get the perfect natural bends out of their wire harnesses.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
It means the pinout on the PSU side of the connector is the same as the motherboard side of the connector. So no double wires, no split connectors, no weird rearrangement, etc.

And actually, I was incorrect about the PCIe! It has the same pinout as the CPU so one of the Ground wires will have to be doubled and one of the 12V won't be used for an 8-pin PCIe connector.

Card/mobo connector side diagram from here: http://www.overclock.net/a/gpu-and-cpu-power-connections

Technically the PCIe spec calls for two sense lines on the 8-pin connector but nobody does that and they're just Grounds.

Thank you very much for the enlightment. :)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Apparently they're in the process of moving to a larger facility so it may be a few weeks before we get an update.

A Note on Shipping Times
Thank you very much for coming to CableMod for your cabling needs. We are happy you stopped by!

To help handle the astronomical growth of the CableMod Configurator, we are going to be moving to a new manufacturing facility. As such, all orders placed from January 12th will begin shipping on February 17th as we move our equipment to the new location. Orders will be shipped on a first-come first-served basis.

In light of this increased lead time, all orders placed between January 12th and February 17th will receive $10 shipping (down from $20) as our way of saying thanks for your patience.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope that the new facility will help us prepare orders faster than ever before. Thank you once again for your continued support!

https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, it's not cheap, but it is fast. So maybe with the new location and higher volume they can offer an economy shipping option.

doogie

Trash Compacter
Nov 28, 2016
Sorry for the thread necro, but have any of you ordered cables with the Silverstone pinout? If so, from whom? I saw it mentioned a couple of times and, after some study, I agree for sure that the 24-pin and 8-pin EPS should line up exactly.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
With the exchange rate on the Rand those actually seem quite cheap.

doogie

Trash Compacter
Nov 28, 2016
Sweet! I'll reach out to them and see what the cost would be. I like that it is MDPC-X sleeving, too. I would absolutely love to learn how to do this myself but time is a precious commodity these days..

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Anyone got a suggestion for a UK supplier for Custom HDPlex cables?

Cablemod don't seem to offer HDplex yet.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Can anyone give me a good recommendation to get a set of custom sleeved cables done for the HDPlex 300? I want a 2.5" 24 pin, 6" 4+4 and 8" PCIe 6+2. Cheers.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I've just ordered a set from beyondcutoms for a HDPLEX 250, including some custom cable harness.
Lighting fast answers, very nice person to deal with.
From what I've experienced, same quality support as Larry from HDPLEX.

And prices are pretty interesting.

Reactions: Stumbler

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah, I've sent him an email. South Africa is a fair ways from Canada, so I'm a bit nervous about shipping. If he will do a 2.5" 24 pin I'm sold.

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
I've just ordered a set from beyondcutoms for a HDPLEX 250, including some custom cable harness.
Lighting fast answers, very nice person to deal with.
From what I've experienced, same quality support as Larry from HDPLEX.

And prices are pretty interesting.

...What does 'interesting' mean....

Reactions: zovc