Rumor ASRock to enter the GPU market

Well well well, this could end up being fun. We all know Asrock as the one to do the insane or amazing, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to many. According to the source, they'd be focusing on the MXM sector (which makes sense due to those micro STX motherboards) and AMD GPUs. Hopefully they can bring prices down, and hopefully we can see a Taichi/OC Formula themed ITX card from them in the future!

Source: https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180307PD206.html

@ASRock System
What do you have to say for this?

Last edited:

MayMayDay

Efficiency Noob
Mar 7, 2018
AM4 socket would definitely be preferable, but I think the socket and cooler mounting are a bit large for an STX? And enough M.2 slots plz.

On topic though, cooling the AMD MXM card would be interesting. They usually run a bit warmer than their equivalent Team Green cards don't they?

TheOfficialCzex

Trash Compacter
Mar 6, 2017

DirusCanis

Case Bender
Mar 27, 2018
After the Nvidia Partner Program (aka Preparing Anti-Trust Lawsuit) I'm hoping this isn't being considered by ASRock as they could benefit from all amount of leverage to gain a foothold in this busy market.

Asus signed up for Nvidia's GPP program, which means ROG will most likely be stripped from all Radeon Cards, being that Asus is AsRock's parent company there is speculation that what they're going to do is move all Radeon Cards to this new "Phantom Gaming" line under AsRock.

I highly doubt you'll see GTX based cards under this name.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Asus signed up for Nvidia's GPP program, which means ROG will most likely be stripped from all Radeon Cards, being that Asus is AsRock's parent company there is speculation that what they're going to do is move all Radeon Cards to this new "Phantom Gaming" line under AsRock.

I highly doubt you'll see GTX based cards under this name.
Considering it's been rumored that they're going to be AMD only.. Well, you can't exactly go through with GPP if you're doing that :p

DirusCanis

Case Bender
Mar 27, 2018
AsRock split from ASUS years ago, I believe Pegatron purchased them.
You're correct. Someone mentioned somewhere else that Asus was the parent, and doing a Google search for "Asrock Parent Company" brings up Asustek as the first result so I fell victim to it.

Pegatron was spun off Asustek and took Asrock with it.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
wait a minute, the rx580 is listed at 278.81 x 126.78 x 41.91 mm

and the rx 570 is 215.14 x 128.98 x 43.65mm.

they seemed like they had the same dimmensions.. weird