News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Any update on MXM to LGA 1151 mounting adapters? It would be amazing to fit 2 Noctua L9x65s on a MicroSTX board. I'm thinking if you get rid of 2.5" drive support, you can design a custom case that can fit those coolers in the same 2.7L volume or smaller. CustomMod could probably do it. Then you can easily cool an 8700 and any of the GPUs quietly.

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Any update on MXM to LGA 1151 mounting adapters? It would be amazing to fit 2 Noctua L9x65s on a MicroSTX board. I'm thinking if you get rid of 2.5" drive support, you can design a custom case that can fit those coolers in the same 2.7L volume or smaller. CustomMod could probably do it. Then you can easily cool an 8700 and any of the GPUs quietly.

Is that a thing someone has been working on? Can't find any reference to it, but really like the idea as I've been tempted to try build a passive heat sink case like this but off setting the height difference between the Cpu and Mxm card is probably be outside my skill set. Being able to use quiet nearly silent coolers is a good next best option.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Is that a thing someone has been working on? Can't find any reference to it, but really like the idea as I've been tempted to try build a passive heat sink case like this

Wow, that case is a work of art!

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Aye, really simple but neat solutions in most of his designs. He's working on a couple of designs using dGPUS which will be interesting but personally I think it's crying out for a 2200g, hope the talk of asrock making an mstx format AM4 motherboard are true.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Is that a thing someone has been working on? Can't find any reference to it, but really like the idea as I've been tempted to try build a passive heat sink case like this but off setting the height difference between the Cpu and Mxm card is probably be outside my skill set. Being able to use quiet nearly silent coolers is a good next best option.

I thought @Kmpkt was. It's such a simple concept, I wish someone would just make a bracket that can adapt all kinds of sockets and mounting systems from/to each other.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm currently working on a heatsink that should be mountable for both 1151 and MXM, I haven't gotten around to doing a generic 1151 to MXM mounting kit adapter however and don't know if I will.

Reactions: Boil

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I'm currently working on a heatsink that should be mountable for both 1151 and MXM, I haven't gotten around to doing a generic 1151 to MXM mounting kit adapter however and don't know if I will.

Awesome. Any update or ETA on that? Can you share dimensions and TDP of the heatsink?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Dimensions are 92mm x 92mm and height is 42mm. As far as TDP goes, it should be very comfortably able to handle a 95W CPU according to my engineer. As far as ETA, the last of the parts are currently being shipped to me from the US. Upon arrival we will be assembling and then testing the units (I have four variants). Hoping to have some benchmarks out by early April.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I can't wait for that heatsink.

Is it currently at all possible to purchase the Z370 MicroSTX board separately or at least purchase a system without an MXM card?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Short of a long, I had a brutal and highly falsified professional complaint brought against me this summer by an acquaintance I treated as a favour (I work as a physiotherapist). The stress of the experience was tremendous and as a result everything including the heatsink was put on hiatus for most of the summer. I've recently found someone capable of proper assembly and am now hoping to have assembly of the prototypes done professionally by the end of the month if not in early November.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Short of a long, I had a brutal and highly falsified professional complaint brought against me this summer by an acquaintance I treated as a favour (I work as a physiotherapist). The stress of the experience was tremendous and as a result everything including the heatsink was put on hiatus for most of the summer. I've recently found someone capable of proper assembly and am now hoping to have assembly of the prototypes done professionally by the end of the month if not in early November.

Don't let me take priority over your life, man. This is supposed to be a hobby. Best of luck! :)