Power Supply Advice for internal AC-DC in system

bullet1520

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
So I'm planning a system (haven't picked the case yet, for reasons that will soon become clear), and I'd like the whole package to be inside. I'm going to be using a Ryzen 3400g, a B450 itx board (itx, duh), and an appropriate cooler (TBD). But I also want the AC-DC power supply inside, so I have NO bulky brick outside. I've been looking at the Meanwell RPS line, and would like to stick one in this build. My Question is this: how would I wire that up to the board? I see that J-hack has a pre-configured system for it, but I'm not convinced the 200w kit will be enough, seeing as every power usage calculator I've checked thus far, implies that I'll be using about 250w at load, and that's with only the 1 CPU fan. If I had another tiny fan, and a second SSD, that will likely put me up another 15ish watts. I'd like the extra head-room... Case selection will occur once I've seen how much space I need to accomplish my goal, seeing as I can select a case whose size fits all the components with as little empty space as possible. Hell, I could commission a friend of mine to help make one custom. Point is, it's not the concern. Power delivery *is*.
So If I were to build a system of my own, like J-hack's, how would I go about connecting the PSU to the motherboard? It doesn't seem like any PicoPSUs are available in more than 250w capacities. I can do the rest of the wiring myself, although I'd prefer a c14 entry instead of c6 that J-hack offers. Might just make my own version to achieve that. Anyways, are there any options out there for me, or should I just scrap the idea entirely, take the easy route, and go with the HDplex400 kitt?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Those psu calculators are crap. You won't need 100W120W, let alone 200W.

Edit: just checked benchmarks. 120W! Whoa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
My sig build is 2400G/MSI b450itx(Linux) running 2x8gb at 3200 CL14 and an M.2 on a 160XT pico and a 180W brick, Unigine benchmarks don't phase it, the only thing so far that steams the CPU is if I try to play a 4kx60 hevc vid without iGPU acceleration, will get 80's C from that but have never had a PSU issue. Stock wrait stealth cooler.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, don't believe PSU calculators, they are pretty much universally terrible. I'm planning a setup pretty much identical to yours in a Lazer3D HT5 (thread on the forums, for sale on their own web site or Overclockers UK IIRC), and I'll be using an RPS-200-12-C coupled with one of @guryhwa's G-Unique DC-ATX boards (again, thread here on the forums). His boards handle far beyond 200W, but of course that isn't at all necessary for a build like this. The J-hack DC-ATX board should work nicely, or any decent quality PicoPSU. I'd be shocked if you ever came close to 180W even overclocked.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So I'm planning a system (haven't picked the case yet, for reasons that will soon become clear), and I'd like the whole package to be inside. I'm going to be using a Ryzen 3400g, a B450 itx board (itx, duh), and an appropriate cooler (TBD). But I also want the AC-DC power supply inside, so I have NO bulky brick outside. I've been looking at the Meanwell RPS line, and would like to stick one in this build. My Question is this: how would I wire that up to the board? I see that J-hack has a pre-configured system for it, but I'm not convinced the 200w kit will be enough, seeing as every power usage calculator I've checked thus far, implies that I'll be using about 250w at load, and that's with only the 1 CPU fan. If I had another tiny fan, and a second SSD, that will likely put me up another 15ish watts. I'd like the extra head-room... Case selection will occur once I've seen how much space I need to accomplish my goal, seeing as I can select a case whose size fits all the components with as little empty space as possible. Hell, I could commission a friend of mine to help make one custom. Point is, it's not the concern. Power delivery *is*.
So If I were to build a system of my own, like J-hack's, how would I go about connecting the PSU to the motherboard? It doesn't seem like any PicoPSUs are available in more than 250w capacities. I can do the rest of the wiring myself, although I'd prefer a c14 entry instead of c6 that J-hack offers. Might just make my own version to achieve that. Anyways, are there any options out there for me, or should I just scrap the idea entirely, take the easy route, and go with the HDplex400 kitt?

The J-Hack Pure, with a meanwell 200W and a PicoPSU 160XT should handle that OK.

I think the hack's plugin unit is 120W. @Thehack Pinging to confirm.