Power Supply AC - DC 12V internal PSU

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Are there any internal AC-DC units like the HDPlex but for 12v instead of 19v?

My case, Realan E-i7, came with a 12v DC-ATX power board and I'm wanting to mod it to not have an external power brick. I'm hoping to keep the existing power board and not buy a whole new system. My existing board is only 84w.

The PicoPSU AC-DC units are all 12v, but they are also external power bricks.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yup. If you need a chassis, there's RPS-200-12-C (it is the same as EPP-200, but comes in a chassis flavor). Seems like your case has plenty of space.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Yup. If you need a chassis, there's RPS-200-12-C (it is the same as EPP-200, but comes in a chassis flavor). Seems like your case has plenty of space.

Thanks guys for your answers! Can the EPP-200 (no chassis version) just be attached to the case with some double sided tape or does it need to have standoffs to be grounded? I guess the difference in cost is only about $10 ($42 vs $52). Honestly they are little more $$$ than I was expecting but the size looks great as well as all the success stories here on SFFN.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks guys for your answers! Can the EPP-200 (no chassis version) just be attached to the case with some double sided tape or does it need to have standoffs to be grounded? I guess the difference in cost is only about $10 ($42 vs $52). Honestly they are little more $$$ than I was expecting but the size looks great as well as all the success stories here on SFFN.

I recommend getting the chassis version anyways. You should ground the PSU and the chassis (2 wires, one for the PSU, one for the chassis out of the power entry module). The chassis version has a flat bottom and can be attached with doublesided tape, but make sure you use the high quality 3M version, or else it'll come off easily due to heat and other wear.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I recommend getting the chassis version anyways. You should ground the PSU and the chassis (2 wires, one for the PSU, one for the chassis out of the power entry module). The chassis version has a flat bottom and can be attached with doublesided tape, but make sure you use the high quality 3M version, or else it'll come off easily due to heat and other wear.

Thanks, I went ahead and purchased the chassis version and associated connectors from DigiKey. Now I've just gotta track down a friend with the right crimp tool...

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I'm surprised no one came with the XboX One internal PSU...

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
120W only. And fixed C8 power inlet !

If you have the budget, Artesyn makes a very nice 250W PSU. Most powerful unit in that 4 x 2'' format.
Works very well in my Neutrino build :

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Is there any drawback or things to consider when using these open frame psus? Apart from the risk of electrocuting ourselves.

I don't mind them aesthetically, but looking at the current offerings on the market, when you look for internal ac-dc psu they all have chassis, and you have to specifically look for 'open frame' to find these, so it makes me wonder if they're both marketed towards system builders, why do they even need chassis in the first place?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is there any drawback or things to consider when using these open frame psus? Apart from the risk of electrocuting ourselves.

I don't mind them aesthetically, but looking at the current offerings on the market, when you look for internal ac-dc psu they all have chassis, and you have to specifically look for 'open frame' to find these, so it makes me wonder if they're both marketed towards system builders, why do they even need chassis in the first place?

They are for OEMs. Equipment manfacturers, medical devices, etc.

Drawback? It's not end-user ready so you may need some cable and connectors custom made.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Surely an OEM and MFRs can handle psus without enclosure, or even make one if they need to? So my question is why sell them with the chassis at all if your target consumer is experienced EEs.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Surely an OEM and MFRs can handle psus without enclosure, or even make one if they need to? So my question is why sell them with the chassis at all if your target consumer is experienced EEs.

It's cheap and easy way to mount it onto a metal panel. Prevents damage to components.