Power Supply Merging HDPlex AC-DC units (A PSU Experiment)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So I've been trying to think of ways to get more internal AC-DC power to the HDPlex 250W DC-DC and I think I've come to a solution. While browsing at Mini-Box, I came across this unit:

http://www.mini-box.com/Y-PWR-Hot-Swap-Load-Sharing-Controller

Unless I am mistaken, the unit takes two DC inputs and yields a combined DC output with a maximum throughput of 600W. With this in mind, I have ordered two of the splitter units as well as two HDPlex 80W AC-DC and two HDPlex 160W AC-DC.

What I'm planning to do is see if I can combine two 160W units to provide 320W (390W Peak) to the HDPlex 250W. The footprint of each of the two 160W units would be 131mm x 52mm x 40mm (0.545L combined). This means the overall volume of the unit would be approximately on par with a flex ATX unit (0.486L) with the additional volume of the HDPlex 250.

The obvious upsides of this arrangement is that the cooling of the AC-DC units is passive (ie. no 40mm fans!) and the ability to distribute the different components of the power supply around the case will likely allow for a smaller overall envelope. Furthermore, the potential for this arrangement would be closer to around 600W once Larry at HDPlex releases the new 250W version of the AC-DC. From my conversations with him, the 250W will be around 1/3 greater in volume than the 160W solution. The final thing I think this arrangement brings to the table is the ability to combo the units to meet your system's specific requirements. For example:

160W + 80W = 240W
160W + 160W = 320W
250W + 160W = 410W (theoretical peak of the HDPlex 250)
250W + 250W = 500W + X7 ATX 500 (with overhead, this would approach the peak wattage of the Y splitter)

Can you guys please give me some feedback about the following since I'm not totally sure this is going to work

- Can I have a single IEC inlet powering both AC-DC units if I do a 2 pin splitter?
- Will 18AWG continue to be a suitable gauge of wire for wall current to the two AC-DC units?
- Have I misunderstood any of the fundamental theories about the way current/amperage/voltage will move through this system?

I am currently waiting on another Kill-A-Watt to arrive from Amazon as I want to initially have both units on their own IEC cable so I can see if they actually load share effectively drawing the same current from the wall. Any other comments, please let me know!

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Looking at the (very sparse) datasheet, it appears to be rated to a maximum continous current per input of 10A regardless of voltage (and 20A output regardless of voltage). At 12V, that gives a maximum continuous output of 240W. At 19V, the max continuous output is 380W.
It also requires active forced air cooling to achieve that rating, and is de-rated by 40% without it. No airflow specs are provided, but a stick-on heatsink and peripheral airflow from another component's fan would probably be sufficient.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Looks like I missed the spec sheet, so thanks for clarifying things for me EdZ. With this in mind, using 19V at 10amps, means the 160W + 160W combo should work without an issue, correct? Considering the wattage demand of most small form factor systems, that's actually quite appropriate (320W, 380W peak).

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
With this in mind, using 19V at 10amps, means the 160W + 160W combo should work without an issue, correct?
Yes, as long as the load-sharing board is getting sufficient airflow it will handle two 19V 180W adapters running at max output continuously.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
It sounds like you'll have to make sure the 2 bricks/ACDC supplies stay within 100mV of each other to get current summing otherwise it selects the higher output device to drive the load. Could be some funkiness as the load ramps but likely will stabilize OK.

"Summing two power sources: If input_1 and input_2 have the same output voltage, the Y-PWR board can integrate the current from both inputs, up to 10A per channel. Small differences in output voltage are OK as the internal resistance of the wires will tend to equalize the load. As the two supplies differ by more than 100mV, 100% of the load will come from the higher of input_1 and input_2."

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Considering these are the identical units from the same manufacturer, hopefully they'll be reasonably similar in this respect.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
One better. I am working with Larry to make a much beefier unit that will allow two compatible AC-DC units to provide one DC line out to a DC-DC unit. Ideally it would allow for dual HDPlex 300W AC-DC units or a pair of 330W Dell bricks to be merged with one or more Dynamo units.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh that sounds awesome. I hope one input and one output connector is in the plans.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
As in, if I installed two 160W HDPLEX AC-DCs 'off the shelf' I'd need to use two outlets on the wall and have two cables coming into my computer, then going to the AC-DCs, then the two outputs of the AC-DCs going to my (two?) DC-ATX board(s).

Does your solution allow us to use one outlet, one "AC-in", and then have one "DC-out" in spite of the fact we're using two AC-DC bricks?

Reactions: Phuncz

james1976

Chassis Packer
Mar 9, 2021
Yeah. The plan is the have an IEC 320 split to power 2 AC-DC supplies and then the merge board bring the power back together.
did this ever happen ? i'm looking for a way to run hdplex 400watt and 200watt direct plug off one power source or combined power bricks if possible i am currently looking at meanwell se 600w 24v unit would that power both psu? and how could i wire the hdplex units to power on and off together while using the 200 watt direct plugged into the mb 24 pin socket ?
sorry so many question but i been searching for weeks and not getting any good answers so now asking the questions lol

K2e2vin

Cable Smoosher
Mar 6, 2021
did this ever happen ? i'm looking for a way to run hdplex 400watt and 200watt direct plug off one power source or combined power bricks if possible i am currently looking at meanwell se 600w 24v unit would that power both psu? and how could i wire the hdplex units to power on and off together while using the 200 watt direct plugged into the mb 24 pin socket ?
sorry so many question but i been searching for weeks and not getting any good answers so now asking the questions lol
I'm basically doing the same thing. I talked with Larry(HDPlex) and he said both of the units can run off a single source. I ran into the issue of switching the second HDPlex on(400W unit), which would easily be addressed by a ATX splitter but defeats the purpose of having a direct plug-in unit....so it's either soldering a wire in on the plug-in unit(PSU_On) or building some sort of breakout adapter(this is what I plan on doing by modifying an eBay 90degree ATX adapter). The 400W HDPlex has a separate pin just for PS_On but I don't think the 200W unit does.

james1976

Chassis Packer
Mar 9, 2021
I'm basically doing the same thing. I talked with Larry(HDPlex) and he said both of the units can run off a single source. I ran into the issue of switching the second HDPlex on(400W unit), which would easily be addressed by a ATX splitter but defeats the purpose of having a direct plug-in unit....so it's either soldering a wire in on the plug-in unit(PSU_On) or building some sort of breakout adapter(this is what I plan on doing by modifying an eBay 90degree ATX adapter). The 400W HDPlex has a separate pin just for PS_On but I don't think the 200W unit does.
i wonder would a wire off the cases power button that goes to the mb and the power on pins on the 400 watt unit? what power source do you plan to use ? i am leaning towards the meanwell se-600-24 unit was going to go for 700 watt but here in canada the price is over 100$ in difference of what i could find

K2e2vin

Cable Smoosher
Mar 6, 2021
i wonder would a wire off the cases power button that goes to the mb and the power on pins on the 400 watt unit? what power source do you plan to use ? i am leaning towards the meanwell se-600-24 unit was going to go for 700 watt but here in canada the price is over 100$ in difference of what i could fin
The PS_On signal basically shorts to ground to turn the PSU on; I think the case switch is a momentary switch.

I went with an eBay 720W-24(still waiting on it to get here). Two Dell 330Ws as a backup though.

james1976

Chassis Packer
Mar 9, 2021
The PS_On signal basically shorts to ground to turn the PSU on; I think the case switch is a momentary switch.

I went with an eBay 720W-24(still waiting on it to get here). Two Dell 330Ws as a backup though.
can you link the psu you went with ? i have 2 330 watt dell bricks too is there any way to hook the 2 bricks to just the 400 watt hdplex cause i also have 2 240 watt too and a second hdplex 400

K2e2vin

Cable Smoosher
Mar 6, 2021

james1976

Chassis Packer
Mar 9, 2021
i'm just winging this so got a question. how the power into the hdplex is a 6 wire plug should i run each wire to seperate post on the psu or can wire 3live wires to one live post 3 neutral to one neutral post or use all 3 posts ?