What did you do today?

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
What'd you decide on?

I ended up getting the Ultibot D300VS. There are so many great choices out there, but the D300VS seems to be very wll regarded lately. It's got some nice upgrades over some other printers in it's price range. Also on the short list was the Prusa i3 MK2 and the Rostock Max V3.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I ended up getting the Ultibot D300VS. There are so many great choices out there, but the D300VS seems to be very wll regarded lately. It's got some nice upgrades over some other printers in it's price range. Also on the short list was the Prusa i3 MK2 and the Rostock Max V3.
Very nice. I am concerned as to the force of the cars on the rails as opposed to a parallel kinematic manipulator type delta like the repstrap and the LOCOOP Y.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Very nice. I am concerned as to the force of the cars on the rails as opposed to a parallel kinematic manipulator type delta like the repstrap and the LOCOOP Y.

Good question. Although the D300VS is a relatively new kit, there are a lot of other established delta printers relying on rails. I can't say I've heard many complain about long term issues. If so, I guess I'll adapt and deal with it. Either way, it's going to be a fun learning experiment.

Reactions: Soul_Est

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Just tinkering this eve.

As I continue down the rabbit hole of PC shrinking and perf/W ... I installed a xeon 1275L v3 in my Asus z97i plus. Really impressed with it so far. A quick CPUz bench turned in 1755 single thread and 7472 multi. Pretty close to the reference 4970k it lists and really close to the stock clocked 4770k it replaced. Makes sense as it is pretty much a cheaper 4770t. It has no issues with 2133 ram on this board either which is great! I plan on moving this to the Case Mod Mini when it arrives. The one issue is that I am a bit smitten with my nitro rx 480 . It cant fit in the new case so... Maybe cram a Ryzen mATX board into the Riotoro itx case seen in my Avatar? It has the space and I can roll the 480 till Vega and you know rabbit hole...

Cheers!

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
So are you working on a custom KB then? Will it have swapable switches assuming its a mechanical. Full layout or tenkeyless or?
It's going to be able to be hotswapped, and it's a mechanical keyboard, and it's only 40 switches. It's also going to have RGB and RGB underglow.

Reactions: TheHig

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
Today my i5 6500 arrived, I sold it on my midday break, and used the monies to buy an i7 6700...straight across only out the gas money to drive to each location but its spring in Northern California so there is no complaint here.

Also decided to expand my horticultural skills by trying to create some bonsai trees. It is strange how the older I get the more I become introspective and reconnect with my ethnic background. The attraction towards bonsai trees is because it is a long term reward/goal which requires patience, diligence, and planning. I think I will take a look at some Japanese Maples to start and then maybe try my hands at some Junipers, Cypress, and flowering shrubs...

Not only are they aesthetically pleasing they are SFF trees!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A friend of mine grows these, they look amazing. Certainly worthy of the name of "SFF trees" considering time, effort, size and efficiency !

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Brokoii

Caliper Novice
Jan 11, 2017
Also decided to expand my horticultural skills by trying to create some bonsai trees. It is strange how the older I get the more I become introspective and reconnect with my ethnic background. The attraction towards bonsai trees is because it is a long term reward/goal which requires patience, diligence, and planning. I think I will take a look at some Japanese Maples to start and then maybe try my hands at some Junipers, Cypress, and flowering shrubs...
My neighbour's garden is full of them. he even has a Bonsai appletree.o_O
Today I got my Samsung 960 evo and reinstalled Windows. It's amazing how much faster it is than my 850evo:eek:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Ordered the balance of the new parts for my A4 build. Should all arrive mid-week. Hopefully the case will be in hand by then, too. I'll set up open air to check for DOA components either way.

I won't be OCing, so don't expect to be amazed by the parts list. It will be a nice bump up from the mobile Haswell and 675m in the laptop, however.

Reactions: Soul_Est

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Ordered the balance of the new parts for my A4 build. Should all arrive mid-week. Hopefully the case will be in hand by then, too. I'll set up open air to check for DOA components either way.

I won't be OCing, so don't expect to be amazed by the parts list. It will be a nice bump up from the mobile Haswell and 675m in the laptop, however.

Looking forward to seeing some A4 builds around here. What parts do you plan on using?
Happy building as well!

Edti :shameless plug: I put my GIgabyte low profile gtx 750ti up for sale today on ebay and in the forum here.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Rescued my car from flooding, my city saw it's worst rainfall in some time. Some roads still closed, buildings cordoned off.

You can see my wagon is moved from pic one to pic two. Last pic is the bottom of my house under a foot of water.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I hope you don't have damage to your home and had time to save the SFF PCs ! They don't float as easily due to lack of internal air pockets !

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Got to check ~300 computers to see if they updated their clocks for DST. Quite a few Windows Embedded machines never got the memo about the US dates shifting so convincing the scheduler software running on it that the network clock wasn't some malicious user was fun.

Kaiser Wilhelm is sabotaging American factories from beyond the grave.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Rescued my car from flooding, my city saw it's worst rainfall in some time. Some roads still closed, buildings cordoned off.

You can see my wagon is moved from pic one to pic two. Last pic is the bottom of my house under a foot of water.

That is quite a persistent surge, are you getting drainage or river overflow? Is your parking spot here in a problematic zone or was it just a extremely heavy rainfall? Hope all is well - glad things are elevated!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Looking forward to seeing some A4 builds around here. What parts do you plan on using?

i5-7500, EVGA GTX1060/6GB SSC, SF450, Cryorig C7, 2x8GB/2400, MSI H270i, 850 EVO/500GB

I'm a tiny bit concerned about the SF450 in this build as the fan is not supposed to turn often (approximate TDP for the build is 275W), but I'll probably set custom fan curves on both the CPU and GPU to be always on at low RPMs to keep the air in the case constantly exchanging. I'll start a proper log when the parts start rolling in.

Edit 3/12: adjusted capacity of SSD from 256 to 500 GB (brain farted when I wrote it)

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Nice!
I run the sf450 with a 45w haswell xeon and an rx 480. I find that the PSU is very quiet personally. Hopefully it is for you as well.