World of SFF beyond computers

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Does anybody like other things SFF? Homes? Vehicles? Gardening? Culinary? Other equipment?

Personally I like almost everything of mine to be SFF (almost everything ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

I have one of the more average-large sized toaster ovens that I use even though my Mother insists that you should have the large traditional kitchen oven. It shreds my conscience the thought of having one of those massive monstrosities for the kinds of foods I eat. Although I do admit I would like to find a more portable stovetop solution with two burners for the sake of making tacos because I still use my Mother's oven for that.

I've only got a learner's permit, but I'm a pretty lousy driver IMO. I want as small a vehicle as possible for navigating even the most unholy urban environments, but I live in Central NY "out in the sticks" as I think it's said which means I need 4-wheel drive, good ground clearance and a closed cabin. But again I want a small vehicle because living in a rural area makes it really unnerving trying to go through urban areas all the time. Not sure what I should want I was thinking either a really compact truck (I was looking at Nissan's frontier crew-cab racently) or one of the smaller Jeeps with a roof rack because I love it as a military history icon.

That's all I can think of at this moment, but I love SFF beyond just computers.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Hmm. I do notice this tendency a bit yes. Maybe not SFF as in PCs, but orientation towards simplicity and function.

I have a 42 sq. m apartment but I could do with less. I hate having a huge wardrobe of little-used clothes. Same thing with my 200mm telescope - planning to downgrade it to a 120-150mm mak or a refractor. I don't really watch the TV anymore so I could sell it and my monitor and replace both of them with one low-latency 4k TV or 40" 4k monitor.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Does anybody like other things SFF? Homes? Vehicles? Gardening? Culinary? Other equipment?

Personally I like almost everything of mine to be SFF (almost everything ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

I have one of the more average-large sized toaster ovens that I use even though my Mother insists that you should have the large traditional kitchen oven. It shreds my conscience the thought of having one of those massive monstrosities for the kinds of foods I eat. Although I do admit I would like to find a more portable stovetop solution with two burners for the sake of making tacos because I still use my Mother's oven for that.

I've only got a learner's permit, but I'm a pretty lousy driver IMO. I want as small a vehicle as possible for navigating even the most unholy urban environments, but I live in Central NY "out in the sticks" as I think it's said which means I need 4-wheel drive, good ground clearance and a closed cabin. But again I want a small vehicle because living in a rural area makes it really unnerving trying to go through urban areas all the time. Not sure what I should want I was thinking either a really compact truck (I was looking at Nissan's frontier crew-cab racently) or one of the smaller Jeeps with a roof rack because I love it as a military history icon.

That's all I can think of at this moment, but I love SFF beyond just computers.
I hear you on the vehicle situation. I would recommend a Honda HRV, Mazda CX3, Hyundai Tuscon, Kia Sportage, or Chevrolet Trax (all with all-wheel drive of course). I personally am looking at a Subaru Impreza Hatchback because I don't need a bigger car (although rear seat passengers would greatly appreciate it).

Hmm. I do notice this tendency a bit yes. Maybe not SFF as in PCs, but orientation towards simplicity and function.

I have a 42 sq. m apartment but I could do with less. I hate having a huge wardrobe of little-used clothes. Same thing with my 200mm telescope - planning to downgrade it to a 120-150mm mak or a refractor. I don't really watch the TV anymore so I could sell it and my monitor and replace both of them with one low-latency 4k TV or 40" 4k monitor.
I have been looking into that too. Already begun saving up to get one. There is also the prospect of a projector such as the AAXA Technologies M6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and JosephEK