What did you do today?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Finally set up my new PC. Currently up and running with internet (had to use the driver CD. shaaaaaaaaaame); now reading up on how to convert a legacy 64-bit windows 7 environment to an EFI windows 7 environment.

Me right now though

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That must have felt pretty good overcoming all those obstacles with wit and ingenuity !

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I'm feeling a little unproductive lately. I've got too many plans and ideas potentially in flux regarding all my projects. I can't get ideas finalized and it's causing me a bit of stress.

One of the things I've been seriously contemplating for a while, has been a 3D printer. I keep thinking of all the cool things I could build, or dream about by never have time to build, haha. Just the same, I've been trying to justify the following...

https://www.ultibots.com/d300vs-3d-printer-diy-kit/

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I'm feeling a little unproductive lately. I've got too many plans and ideas potentially in flux regarding all my projects. I can't get ideas finalized and it's causing me a bit of stress.

One of the things I've been seriously contemplating for a while, has been a 3D printer. I keep thinking of all the cool things I could build, or dream about by never have time to build, haha. Just the same, I've been trying to justify the following...

Have a look at the Prusa i3 MK2 printers. The lead time is a bit on the high side but they are known to be one of the best on the market at their price-point.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Have a look at the Prusa i3 MK2 printers. The lead time is a bit on the high side but they are known to be one of the best on the market at their price-point.

I've heard very good things about them as well. Two totally different styles of printers. It was one on my shortlist, but I've read from several people that if they had a choice, they'd choose the Ultibot. I should say, some that have either used or owned both. I'm continuing to research this weekend, and should hopefully commit by Monday.

Edit: I was curious about how the real world print area worked out between the Prusa and Ultibot, since one was rectangular, and the other circular.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
pictures?

(Maybe a short rack into a shorter rack would have been more appropriate? New dimensions are 234.95mm x 439.7375mm x 44.45mm for 4.59L)

Borrowed another unit's tools. I let one of their young dudes do the chop, he wound up cutting it a little wavy and walking the grinder a bit. I cleaned it up, drilled out new holes for the front face plate. Drilled some holes in a new top panel that may or may not ever get riveted. System is an old DDR2 LGA 775 build that I'd like to turn into a Youtube box at work made from scrounged parts. I really like the layout and want to do a more modern version with a single slot 1050Ti one day.

I also took some old LGA 771 copper heatsinks and depillared them (carefully pulled the metal pillars out of the heatink that you can just see on the bottom of the first image and clearly on the second inage). I'd like to try and turn them into a much larger LP53 but I am pretty lazy, don't know if I'll ever mess with it. Copper fins would be hard to trim down (though I already figured out a way, perhaps). Mounting hardware would be tricky. All that copper longs to cool a processor. Have two heat sinks, too.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Finished Murakami's Norwegian Wood. Sad, introspective, a bit formulaic but overall a nice read. Strange to finish early on in the day, but I put it down with only a few pages left last night so I could get to sleep and just wanted to get them done.

Went on to write python scripts for GIS applications. Then checked the SFF forum. Loved the lofi hip hop recommendation from @Soul_Est.

Now, throwing on a well-worn punk record and doing shoulders/back routine early so I can play video games while my partner gets her physio-massage later ;)

Efficiency to the max!
Glad you enjoyed it. I also listen to Electro Swing such as this.

While it is not what I usually listen to, I enjoyed it. Thank you.

Had a bad call today.
I am so sorry. Want to talk about?

Reactions: VegetableStu

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

I defer to the Delta printer you're looking at. Always liked those.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Went to a meetup for the KEYone smartphone. Had fun, met wonderful people, and got to handle an amazing device. Good times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Oh, I'm sorry. Was it a business call or a personal call? Either way, I hope have a better day today/tomorrow.
I am so sorry. Want to talk about?

Hey thanks. It's just an angry customer thing. I mean it's our fault on our end, but I'm not sure if they think I'm out to get them or something. Almost completely broke down like a failed overclock that day in front of people.

Fucking hate working with a phone but that I can't choose.

Today (as part of cooling off on the off day) I decided to leave my Windows 7 partition as it is (was looking to convert it from MBR to EFI, but from what I can gather it's not something that the OS can do more when started from a UEFI handoff), and set off to overclock my system. The 6800K was stable at 4.0MHz 1.20# volts, but Prime95 pushed the temps to 92°C (i know the cutoff point before the CPU throttles is at 104, but still kinda bit not comfortable, lol) so I left the clock at 3875MHz instead.

EDIT: oh yeah, another reason I just remembered for lowering the clock: Prime95 wasn't stable for one particular core (that hardware failure thing), so yeah I'm leaving it as that for the most of the time. If I go on water next time I'd up it back (and probably up the voltage by the bit too)

Also caught Logan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Interesting, I like the guys-with-a-past vibe that they have at the start (instead of full-on dudes with superpowers). Definitely could stand on its own without being pegged as an X-MEN movie. Kinda can't help but noticing how the ending resolution of the movie played out [MILD SPOILER](especially after having watched the first one)[/MILD SPOILER].

They still had the secret government agency thing going on, but that's a theme of the wolverine series so yeah a grudging pass for that aspect I guess.

EDIT: I just remembered, when did he get back his adamantium claws? o_o The Wolverine ended with him without the plating on the claws, unless Days of Future Past was canon on the old gen's timeline?

Last edited:
Reactions: bledha

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Hey thanks. It's just an angry customer thing. I mean it's our fault on our end, but I'm not sure if they think I'm out to get them or something. Almost completely broke down like a failed overclock that day in front of people.

Fucking hate working with a phone but that I can't choose.
Sorry to hear that. Glad you got that day off to let off the steam. Looks like I'll have to watch Logan soon. First, Dr. Strange.

Reactions: VegetableStu