What did you do today?

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Well, the website I ordered my replacement S2 screen from appears to have mis-stated their stock. They didn't actually have any on hand. In fact, those screens seem to be impossible to find anywhere, and I've got no intention of straight up buying a new tablet, as they're still quite pricey. Even used S2's are still worth a lot. So, I've resorted to hitting up eBay for non-working tablets with screens intact. Assuming I'm able to get one, I still have to attempt to remove it's screen to put on my old tablet. I'm not excited at the prospect...

If I can't find a new screen of any kind in the near future, then I'm libel to get a little extreme. I'm already wondering how I could move up to a 13.3 capacitive touch screen and mirror my phone. Major dash reconstruction would ensue, but by mirroring, I'd basically take tablet upgrades out of the equation.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
You know that we love you most when you go extreme. I say take the upgrades out of the picture - the ultimate future-proofing.

Reactions: craigbru

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Haha, I love taking the extreme route as well. I have a habit of spending money on non-refundable parts and then forcing myself to find a way to use them. It works most of the time, LOL.

I did find a cheap tablet with a (supposed) good screen and placed a bid. If I win, then so be it. I can wrap up the in-dash project without much further expense. If I don't, well the rebuild is a go pending my free time. I've already researched all the parts needed. I'm on the fence about the prospect only because my current install is all ready to go minus the tablet situation.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Day off; Decided to model a motherboard (for visuals, but keeping the dimensions close just in case I want to use it as a scale representation for mods later). Prepwork beforehand so far:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I spy with my little eyes an ASUS X99-M WS :p

What program did you make that in?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Illustrator currently. After marking out everything (as much as I can) I then save a legacy version for each layer (for each component type), and I'll drop them into Maya. So I'd just need to model once, and then write a batch script to instance it to the many positions

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Started following up on connections that I made at the career fair on Tuesday, went over my LinkedIn profile, watched a movie, and modelled a place-holder for a Mini-ITX motherboard.

Reactions: VegetableStu

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Finished Murakami's Norwegian Wood. Sad, introspective, a bit formulaic but overall a nice read. Strange to finish early on in the day, but I put it down with only a few pages left last night so I could get to sleep and just wanted to get them done.

Went on to write python scripts for GIS applications. Then checked the SFF forum. Loved the lofi hip hop recommendation from @Soul_Est.

Now, throwing on a well-worn punk record and doing shoulders/back routine early so I can play video games while my partner gets her physio-massage later ;)

Efficiency to the max!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I read the mail from the shop where I inquired when my Ryzen setup would be shipped. Both the CPU and board haven't arrived yet so I'm trying to decide what I should do:
1. explode and cause a nuclear holocaust
2. cry like a little girl the entire weekend
3. keep telling myself I'm a mature and patient man

I'm leaning towards option 1. Maybe 2.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
I read the mail from the shop where I inquired when my Ryzen setup would be shipped. Both the CPU and board haven't arrived yet so I'm trying to decide what I should do:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
95% sure I've discovered the world's first non-surgical cure for carpal tunnel syndrome (not joking).

Also I'd just strip naked in the store and chain yourself to something heavy. Refuse to leave until you have Ryzen (and board) in hand.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Just ordered (finally) some RGB and RGB/W strips to try out for a DIY project.. it doesn't really affect the core function of it but having some backlighting on your big ass acoustic panels can be real nice for lighting up your room slightly...
Picked up some wood to make the frame out of as well as the insulation earlier this week.

Only need to find the right fabric now and I may soon loose a bit of that evil room echo.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

Option 3. I did options 1. and 2. while searching for work. Do not recommend.

Yup.

Reactions: Phuncz