What did you do today?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The 3D programmer in me makes me think of how to reproduce this render with signed distance functions. Related to that, Shadertoy is one of my favorite ways to GPU stress test, along with getting some interesting eye candy.

At this point, I just create "renders" by turning Inventors display mode to "Realistic" with shadows and reflections on. Good enough for me. I like seeing good renders but so far trying to make good ones was always too much of a hassle for me. Modelling is just way more fun. :)

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
After spending money on things I don't need I did some more research on iDye poly and started the prep work to color change my Noctua NF-A9x14. I attempt this knowing it could irreversibly damage the fan and make it inoperable but also "FOR SCIENCE!"

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
So, yesterday it was like the third day in a row with hot weather.. Was on my way to some appointments in the city and saw... GRASS!
I bloody shit myself seeing that in February... and it wasn't because of the junk food, that I ate afterwards while planning a LAN for the Mass Effect Andromeda release(ish)

Reactions: craigbru and Phuncz

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
It's unseasonably warm here in Omaha as well. You're right though, the grass is a little greener than it should be. It makes me think I need get the crabgrass and weed preventer put down on the lawn in the near future...

I'm also trying to finish up my 3rd revision on my tablet install in my Grand Cherokee. Last week everything tested well, and I just had one more thing to do. Since the power button is impossible to get to once installed, I usually open up the tablets and hardwire to the switch. Usually not a big deal, but tablets are getting increasingly harder to open. The Samsung Tab S2 has a screen assembly that is held in place with adhesive. You need to use a little heat to soften that adhesive. In my case, I used a heated gel pack designed specifically for that purpose. Taking my time, I managed to get 3 out of the 4 sides up, but luck was not on my side. I somehow managed to send a crack shooting across the screen... Son of a... It's a little sickening to see that happen on a perfectly good screen. Even more so when you check the cost of a replacement. Ugh.

Reactions: Phuncz and LocoMoto

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
It's making the arctic circle seem so... non existent! o:

Oh snap! (Pun intended)
Interesting mod though, been thinking about integrating a "Phablet" into a motorcycle myself, not so versatile on a motorcycle as in a car but still something that would be a fun experience for the reason you just experienced... crack..

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Interesting mod though, been thinking about integrating a "Phablet" into a motorcycle myself, not so versatile on a motorcycle as in a car but still something that would be a fun experience for the reason you just experienced... crack..
Not integrated, but I use a Nexus 7 as a GPS + music unit on my bike, using a RAM mount & bracket. It's nice to have something that large for easy glance-ability, but being an older tablet it's not longer getting updates, and can be a bit iffy with touch inputs using thick touch-enabled gloves. Considering swapping the Nexus 6P for a Pixel XL (Unlike the 6P there are waterproof cases for the Pixel) so I can get data & calls (if needed, via voice dialling) on it too.
Replacing the dash unit itself with a tablet/PC is an interesting idea, though unlike cars with mandated OBD-II I don't think there's any standardisation between (or even within) manufacturers on ECU interfaces. EURO4 mandates OBD-I, and OBD-II from 2020, so that may start to change.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I've been using Android tablets exclusively since my first install in my Wrangler in 2011. I'm now on my 3rd revision in the GC. It's safe to say I've pretty much got all the particulars figured out at this point. I don't need to worry so much about ECU interfaces in my setup, although I do use a CAN-Bus adapter for steering wheel controls on the tablet. The sad part is, it will be increasingly harder to justify what I've been doing. As larger screen touch displays become more common and integrated, it's going to be a pain to move to a custom solution. Android Auto and Carplay aren't really in a usable state yet, and still require hardwire tethering to your phone. Maybe once a wireless standard is in place that will make a little more sense. Until then, I'm not going to give up my customization or flexibility.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
At the moment I'm fidgeting with a Raspberry Pi 1 fitted with a HiFiBerry DAC with MusicBox software on it.
I finally got it to run again (1GB SD card filled up) by replacing it with a bigger SD card, now I have to figure out how I can make it use the HiFiBerry for audio output.
EDIT: finally got it to run again ! sudo nano editing some config files and the DAC finally once again output sound !

Also finished some photoshopping work I've been doing this week, it will hopefully show soon in a PSU review on the SFF.network !

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
At the moment I'm fidgeting with a Raspberry Pi 1 fitted with a HiFiBerry DAC with MusicBox software on it.
I finally got it to run again (1GB SD card filled up) by replacing it with a bigger SD card, now I have to figure out how I can make it use the HiFiBerry for audio output.

Did you try Volumio or Runeaudio ? They support HiFiberry DAC out of the box.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I ordered the replacement sreen assembly for my broken S2 mentioned a few posts back. I paid a little extra for expedited delivery. I hope it shows before next weekend, so I can get at least one project wrapped up!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Did you try Volumio or Runeaudio ? They support HiFiberry DAC out of the box.
Nope, I didn't want to "reinvent the wheel" by looking into a totally different solution. This is also only used for playing MP3 web streams and Apple AirPlay, all convienently controllable over a web interface, headless and interaction-free.

Thanks for the tip though, I've come across those names in my search, I'll look into these when I find the time.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
No problem :). Volumio is a headless Linux distribution for the RPI that provides a web interface to configure and control it. All you have to do is to expand the image on the SDcard and your done.

The web interface let you configure web radios, NFS, SAMBA, Spotify, etc...

You can then control the playback from a web browser, a tablet, a phone.....

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
No problem :). Volumio is a headless Linux distribution for the RPI that provides a web interface to configure and control it. All you have to do is to expand the image on the SDcard and your done.

The web interface let you configure web radios, NFS, SAMBA, Spotify, etc...

You can then control the playback from a web browser, a tablet, a phone.....
OK so that's almost exactly what I need. I only need to add Shairport most likely. I'll keep it in mind, thanks !