What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Remodelled the entire bottom tray of the RSC to the original design spec and included reliefs, realized that there is too little material in places, and started modelling the top cover anyway. XD

Edit: Now I know that I need a more powerful machine. Recalculations for the vents on the bottom tray are taking several seconds.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Ended my relationship after a little over 5 years. It was probably the most pleasant break-up you can imagine, we just decided that we had so little in common that there was no prospect of us being happy together in a few years down the line, so we ended it now while we were just neutral about it. She'll be moving out as soon as she finds something, I'll stay until my exams are over and then move to my parents before finding something new. It was a good decision. Best of all, I'll get to keep our dog. :)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

I guess. (didn't cover much today.)

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
We (three friends and I) hosted a 30-people LAN party this weekend, for friends-only. It was good fun, with about 3 hours of sleep in between. Now that this is over, I can catch up to the 55 threads here that have got new posts in the meanwhile, it will take some time :eek:

Can you post a little about what network infrastructure you used to host? Also did you have any issue with power/heat (30 people and 30 PCs puts out a lot of heat and sucks a lot of juice!). Everyone crash on the floor?

I don't have that many people who would come to a LAN party, always curious to see how people set these up.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
Ended my relationship after a little over 5 years. It was probably the most pleasant break-up you can imagine, we just decided that we had so little in common that there was no prospect of us being happy together in a few years down the line, so we ended it now while we were just neutral about it. She'll be moving out as soon as she finds something, I'll stay until my exams are over and then move to my parents before finding something new. It was a good decision. Best of all, I'll get to keep our dog. :)

Seems an odd choice of day for that kinda thing, or are you talking about a full size E-ATX computer?

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Can you post a little about what network infrastructure you used to host? Also did you have any issue with power/heat (30 people and 30 PCs puts out a lot of heat and sucks a lot of juice!). Everyone crash on the floor?

I don't have that many people who would come to a LAN party, always curious to see how people set these up.
Sure !

Our last network setup:

The site has an unknown consumer-level router that I can't manage, so we use our own. The HP 1920 switch was a last minute addition, replacing a Netgear switch. We use two 24-port switches for 17 to 36 people, so we have plenty of ports and people don't need longer than 5 meters of cables. The secondary server is merely a backup if the primary server would fail.

Red = table for two people
Purple = keep-out zone
Green = switches elevated from the ground, just below the table

For power we try to distribute the load over available circuits. For the 30 people we had, we used 4 different circuits I believe using 8-socket strips that are certified. This is EU-spec, no idea how this would be handled differently for the US.

Heat is not a problem, the building has proper active ventilation. We don't do LAN parties in summer, so that's not a problem for us.

Most of the people are from the area and go home to sleep. Others could sleep at the venue. We always have someone "watching" over the computers and since everyone is a friend we trust or a friend of a friend, it's trouble-free.

A lot of the work is before the event: preparing servers, testing networking, communication before event, signage, venue hiring, organising drinks and food, financial and book-keeping, schedules, etc etc.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
These are either 60% or 65% (extra column to the right of the enter key) keyboards.
I know, I am not going to criticize smaller keyboards than that. They are better. Also, not all 65% keyboards have a column on the right. Think of the Clueboard or the Leopolds.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Got another email from the school that I am interested in attending. Reading it over again, I realized that I fell into my old habit of over-thinking things or writing things off prematurely. I now have a portfolio (that RSC will be apart of) due in one month. Talk about deadlines...

I am also starting to realize the limits of my eight year-old Lenovo ThinkPad X201. Calculations for the sketches that I work on in FreeCAD take several seconds to solve. Thankfully, the software is multi-threaded enough to not bog down the entire system, although the software is frozen for that time.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Found some interesting finds (but did not buy) at the thrift store yesterday while my parents were shopping for clothes to overseas relatives. First is a copy of BF2 with all the CDs in their box.

The next was some book on technical writing published in the 90's, with many examples of how to write copy for various product types and their implementations. One example using a PCB layout diagram. I have no professional experience in it, but from a product design standpoint it is interesting.

I made a thing today: http://shpws.me/O1cZ

Took about an hour or so, but it looks quite nice.

The 3D programmer in me makes me think of how to reproduce this render with signed distance functions. Related to that, Shadertoy is one of my favorite ways to GPU stress test, along with getting some interesting eye candy.