What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Yeah, how do you guys design for that? I'm having trouble even making basic shapes.

Practice, practice, practice! There really isn't a shortcut, you just have to keep at it.

That and I find that sketching out your designs helps a lot to figure out various unknowns before modelling the case.

Today, I played CLUE with a few friends, setup the nine out of twelve usable buttons on my Huion New 1060PLUS, and now I am about the do some sketching in Krita.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Article 1 or 3 (or 4) in a series. Currently at ~700 words.

Also, published another rant (not the above ~700 words..), because reviews are time consuming!

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I used this website - www.harlemify.com - on @confusis new rant.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
So, I was upgrading a power distribution panel and learned a very interesting fact.

Japanese electronics--especially industrial breakers and switches--indicate a live circuit with red and a broken circuit with green. In hindsight this makes sense, red means "please don't touch, you might kill yourself" and green means "you may touch". But nonetheless, this is the opposite of US convention.

So I opened up the panel after making sure every switch and breaker was red only to find everything inside was still live. I don't think I'll ever complain about the weight of arc-flash shields or smelly balaclavas ever again.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
You get your own personal mini light show?

Alas, it was made after the era of blinkenlights. Also 75% of it ran at 110V or less, relatively tame.

Caffeine free energy boost?

480V 3-phase doesn't so much wake you up as give you an aerial nap.

You will wake up refreshed either on the other side of the room or in a hospital. Or not wake up at all.

Vertical rigor-mortis barbeque?

FTFY.

Rusty McFot

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Just as I thought it couldn't get any hotter...

49 degrees C, according to the thermometer in my Hilux.

That's 120.2 degrees F for all of the SI challenged folk here.

Could really use some of that snow I keep hearing about. Though in this heat it would turn to steam pretty fast.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Today i soldered up a PCB based antenna, which went well. Then i tried to solder up a length of RG316 coax cable to it, which didn't go so well. The centre conductor is about as thick as a human hair and i haven't touched a soldering iron in years. tomorrow i will be ordering a roll of solder wick and some replacement SMA connectors to try again (and again and again until i get it right)

If anyone has any tips for keeping cable flat against a PCB for soldering i'm looking for advice. unfortunately the solder point is too far up the PCB for my helping hands to reach (or a clothes peg for that matter) so i need to invent a solution.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Today i soldered up a PCB based antenna, which went well. Then i tried to solder up a length of RG316 coax cable to it, which didn't go so well. The centre conductor is about as thick as a human hair and i haven't touched a soldering iron in years. tomorrow i will be ordering a roll of solder wick and some replacement SMA connectors to try again (and again and again until i get it right)

If anyone has any tips for keeping cable flat against a PCB for soldering i'm looking for advice. unfortunately the solder point is too far up the PCB for my helping hands to reach (or a clothes peg for that matter) so i need to invent a solution.
For temporarily holding things in place, Kapton tape works well. It's very heat resistant (many tapes can melt-burn at soldering temperatures), and more easily removable afterward than glue.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I was confused. I was thinking, aren't almost all keyboards TKL, I've never seen a ten key button on any non-custom, or even any customs.

Reactions: LocoMoto

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Crammed the contents of the Ncase into the newly arrived A4. Found that neither my motherboard nor the new m.2 drive came with the M2 screw needed to secure it, so that will need to wait until later to be installed (I'll need to pull the motherboard anyway to swap the NH-L9i for the LP53 when it arrives anyway, so I can access the rear then). Had the usual terror of oh-no-it-doesn't-power-on-I've-fried-it-oh-wait-the-PSU-switch-was-off. Not having a power LED is also a bit unnerving.
Turns out the A4 is too small to be held by the Humanscale sliding under-desk bracket I've been using with the Ncase, and my cabling doesn't quite reach the floor, so I'm going to have to rewire everything and find somewhere else to put it. For now, it's on the Ergonomic Upside Down Plastic Box.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
We (three friends and I) hosted a 30-people LAN party this weekend, for friends-only. It was good fun, with about 3 hours of sleep in between. Now that this is over, I can catch up to the 55 threads here that have got new posts in the meanwhile, it will take some time :eek:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Found that neither my motherboard nor the new m.2 drive came with the M2 screw needed to secure it, so that will need to wait until later to be installed (I'll need to pull the motherboard anyway to swap the NH-L9i for the LP53 when it arrives anyway, so I can access the rear then
Ooooooor the current Windows install, sensing its own imminent demise, could bork itself thoroughly. Normal tricks of startup repair, system restore, CHKDSK and SFC are no good, but its not really worth the time troubleshooting further.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Kwirek

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
We (three friends and I) hosted a 30-people LAN party this weekend, for friends-only. It was good fun, with about 3 hours of sleep in between. Now that this is over, I can catch up to the 55 threads here that have got new posts in the meanwhile, it will take some time :eek:
I hope you had fun. :)