What did you do today?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Now I just need to resist taking the rest of the bike apart to see how it works...
That's where project bikes come in ! I also learned not to tinker with stuff I need everyday and just get another stuff to fiddle with.

Spent 12 hours in a sweaty plastic bag after a high-ish voltage power supply decided that it wanted to become part of the floor and also leak electrolyte everywhere.

Remember folks, a closed face respirator is not arc-flash gear. If 3-phase AC comes for you, you will end up on the other side of the room, possibly cooked to a nice golden brown color.
It seems your sense of humour survived, you should be good ! And you've experienced something many haven't ! And last but not least: if it seems life-threatening, you might end up with super powers.

My day was filled with shuffling NUCs like it was a poker night, going to install them soon and make people happy. "What, that's an entire PC ?!" Yep <nodding while giving fulfilled look>

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Or a raise.

The government tends to appropriate my raises to the Cruise Missiles for Peace fund, so I accept supplementary income only in the form of food.

And last but not least: if it seems life-threatening, you might end up with super powers.

Heh, I suppose it's the right place. I could almost make ISO warning symbol scavenger hunts. Except for biohazard, never seen that one.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Working on my only computer due to RAM issues. The system (a Lenovo ThinkPad X200s) ended up with faulty RAM after a year. I had gotten the 8GB of RAM last year to upgrade from the 4GB of RAM that I had in it previously. There was no issue pushing the system beyond its limits (using all available RAM) until now.

Update: One of the sticks was faulty. Now I am down to 6GB of RAM from 8GB.

Last edited:

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
I just finished up a simple build, not SFF sadly, but it will be the base for a guide Im working on how beginners can start modding with some simple steps.

Reactions: jØrd

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'm watching our IT and Data managers run around telling everyone to backup their C drive because we've had 13 computers on Windows 10 crash in the last hour. You restart the PC and it immediately goes back to the BSOD.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Reactions: Soul_Est

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm watching our IT and Data managers run around telling everyone to backup their C drive because we've had 13 computers on Windows 10 crash in the last hour. You restart the PC and it immediately goes back to the BSOD.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! XD

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Turns out it was a program they had created to block USB storage devices. It didn't cooperate with Windows 10.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
About 1/3 of us use 10 because our project is for console, so if we want to develop on xbox1 we need to use win10 now :(

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I wish I could work for a game studio again. Sadly, here in France, there're not much opportunity and most of the studio I knew when I was still a game dev closed.

Had to go to the bank industry to fill the fridge and feed my kids XD. Actually searching for a new, less soul crushing, job lol.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Late model Grand Cherokee’s a never get enough love from the aftermarket, so sometimes you have to pave your own way. If you’re running larger than stock tires, you no longer have a great place to store your spare. Any aftermarket steel bumpers with tire carriers can approach $2000 in cost, and I’ve deemed them overkill. As such, I’m working with a local speed and custom shop to build me a drop down carrier. It's designed to fit a 35" tire, although I'm currently running 33's. It's also spring loaded, so it you don't actually have to lift it back in place after dropping it down. I’ll get my GC back tonight, and the work on it will continue. Less than 2 weeks to our Moab vacation!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
About 1/3 of us use 10 because our project is for console, so if we want to develop on xbox1 we need to use win10 now :(
I feel for you. And people wonder why I used Arch Linux. XD

I wish I could work for a game studio again. Sadly, here in France, there're not much opportunity and most of the studio I knew when I was still a game dev closed.

Had to go to the bank industry to fill the fridge and feed my kids XD. Actually searching for a new, less soul crushing, job lol.
I feel for you as well. I believe in you.

Late model Grand Cherokee’s a never get enough love from the aftermarket, so sometimes you have to pave your own way. If you’re running larger than stock tires, you no longer have a great place to store your spare. Any aftermarket steel bumpers with tire carriers can approach $2000 in cost, and I’ve deemed them overkill. As such, I’m working with a local speed and custom shop to build me a drop down carrier. It's designed to fit a 35" tire, although I'm currently running 33's. It's also spring loaded, so it you don't actually have to lift it back in place after dropping it down. I’ll get my GC back tonight, and the work on it will continue. Less than 2 weeks to our Moab vacation!
Looking good. What other work is left?

I am currently continuing my studying of Android application development or I would were it not for the fact that the reduction of RAM in my system impedes my use of Android Studio. I am also looking for another USB keyboard as the current one is beset by dying keys.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I feel for you. And people wonder why I used Arch Linux. XD

Happy Linux user here too. Couldn't go back to Windows, even more since they added animation tool to Krita nom nom nom.

I feel for you as well. I believe in you.

Thank you. The missus will be done with her nurse state diploma in july, so I'll start broadcasting CV starting August.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Looking good. What other work is left?

Thanks. I’ll have to paint the carrier once I get it back. I’ve also got a new bumper cover to put on the rear. I’ve cut the sides so that there is a little more ground clearance. It will need to be bedlined to match the rest of the lower part of the GC. Then I’ve got some miscellaneous wiring to finish, and some more switches to add. It also has an onboard Viair compressor and tank for filling tires after airing down for offroad usage. I’ve got to finish installing those. Then finally, I’ve got a little rearranging to do with the audio system. I’ve got an 10.1” Samsung Tab 4 in the dash, and I’m cleaning up the signal path after that. Jeeps are never truly done however, so I’m sure I’ll find another project for it soon. It will just have to wait until after vacation.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016

Strangely enough I work for a French game company (I guess you know which one now). But I know exactly what you mean, in the US I had no opportunity to work at a company like this.

I worked at a financial company after high school doing IT work (and made more money then than anytime after). After college I worked in administration at a couple different hospitals and hated it so I went abroad to get more education and find better opportunities. Now I have an MBA and am making less money than I was at 19, but I am much happier. If I had kids I probably would not be so happy with the pay however :(

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I tried getting the most out of a Fujitsu tablet-PC (review) our company once bought as a project, only to end up in a closet somewhere:

It's a Core 2 Duo SU7600 (2x 1.2GHz, 10W), I installed 4GB of RAM and a 200GB HDD we had on hand. Installing a Windows 10 tech preview onto that to see how the handwriting recognition was. But it's still a hot and heavy slab of slowness that has not aged well thanks to its easily scratchable anti-glare coating combined with a hard-tip pen you NEED to use.

It's hard to make a use-case out of it without making painful compromises up to a point you think you are just trying too hard. Windows XP was still the standard back then, Vista just only came around recently, but even Windows 7 didn't know how a tablet should be used. Windows 8 improved and Windows 10 tends to be almost there, but I still feel like I'm holding a convoluted laptop screen that keeps saying: "I'm really a tablet, yes I am !". Too bad it was made in 2007-2008: no orientation sensor, 1024x768 resolution, laptop-heavy, no capacitive touch.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Today I replaced the drivers in my old JVC speaker cabs w/ some old Pyle drivers I had kicking about. I'm overly attached to these cabs, I've owned them since childhood, they have survived a beak-in (the only thing that didn't get stolen, they were hurled across the room though), they have survived breakups, a journey half way around the world, etc, etc, etc. The old JVC drivers got wrecked when they got flung across the room (fucking asshats) & these replacements are a little over-sized & the grills alot over-sized but whatever, they work again, I'm happy. Also fitted some binding posts to the back whilst i had them apart.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
2016-05-28: Shopping, working on bicycles, and swimming!
2016-05-29: Driving practice (Yay!), yardwork, and playing with family and friends.
2016-05-30: Helping my little brother with his homework, reading this (look under Final Fantasy Tactics series), applying for jobs, and dealing with debt collectors.

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Spent Sunday and Monday of the past long weekend (US Memorial Day weekend) and Tuesday and Wednesday at work getting caught up so I could leave for a road trip vaca with my wife and kids (also backed the Dan A4 on Sunday). Drove from central Indiana to Huntsville, AL Wednesday evening to visit the NASA museum there (also home of Space and Aviation Camps) on Thursday, where we unintentionally and coincidentally ran into family friends wrapping up *their* family vaca. Drove all Friday to get to another stopover in northern Florida and finished our "outbound" trip this afternoon at our rental on the Gulf Coast. Chilling in the pool and on the beach this evening and looking forward to not having to pack up again until Saturday.

Reactions: K888D