What did you do today?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Built an exercise device for my cat. Very cool to watch him climb up the side of it, cats are fascinating.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today my day was about 90% waiting, impatiently. It's insane how often IT needs to stare at completion bars and "please wait" screens, along with the endless waiting for delivery or repair. I can't begin to count how many hours my boss has paid me to listen to "please hold, all our lines are busy" music on the phone.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Last day at my current employer :) Starting my new job on Monday next week. Just the weekend off between jobs :/

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Much luck and hopefully it's a better job ! New surroundings, new opportunities, new adventures !

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I can't begin to count how many hours my boss has paid me to listen to "please hold, all our lines are busy" music on the phone.

At work we charge service calls by the hour so there's been a few times where clients paid for me to sit there in their office and wait until they got off the phone :p

Same pay, similar job, but permanent (rather than fixed term) contract.

Congrats! The peace of mind of a permanent position is nice.

Reactions: Soul_Est

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I purchased plane tickets to make my once a year trip back home to SW Missouri, but this time I am bringing my girlfriend to meet my parents. My flight arrives at 10pm but Andy's Frozen Custard stays open till 11:30pm so I'm set. Priorities first.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
At work we charge service calls by the hour so there's been a few times where clients paid for me to sit there in their office and wait until they got off the phone :p
I've been on the receiving end of something like this, where the bill for troubleshooting a problematic enterprise firewall through phone calls, transportation and work hours was about the same as a brand new one. :\

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I wasted a few hours trying to fix an issue that was caused by an update released on Patch Tuesday. This about the forth time this year MS has released a defective update with their monthly patches, that cost me hours to figure out to end up being caused by a new bug that should have been found with basic testing.

Along with our internet connection crapping out, reports of mails not getting through and two meetings, it wasn't a good day to be the only IT guy at work today.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Today I wasted a few hours trying to fix an issue that was caused by an update released on Patch Tuesday. This about the forth time this year MS has released a defective update with their monthly patches, that cost me hours to figure out to end up being caused by a new bug that should have been found with basic testing.

Along with our internet connection crapping out, reports of mails not getting through and two meetings, it wasn't a good day to be the only IT guy at work today.
Ouch. Gotta love automatic updates.

Started to work on my chassis design. Very rough design at the moment but that things as to start somewhere :D
Looking forward to seeing it.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Good 'ol Windows Updates.

Don't forget to click the x if you want to completely replace your operating system ;)

I love and use both Windows and (now) macOS, but shit like this never happens on the Cupertino side of things (well, at least on the desktop). You know how many updates El Capitan's had since it came out in September of last year? Five. And zero percent of them broke anything. Meanwhile, Apple doesn't need to manipulate users to convince them to upgrade, either. (That's what you get when updates are really free, and really stable)

Honestly, the way updates and drivers alike are handled on the Windows side is just abjectly terrible and infuriating, and I don't understand how Windows users haven't revolted over it :( I've literally had less stability and driver issues with a completed Hackintosh build when compared to Windows running on the exact same hardware. It's unfathomable, really.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
My favorite auto update issue was a a defective graphics driver.
had to physically remove my video card, rerun windows update then reinstall the card and manually install the drivers.

Probably AMD's fault though.

They removed the X didn't they?
or was it the cancel button?

On a side note, as one of the people currently in the previews slow ring, I have to wonder if some of the updates just don't get sent through us to be vetted.