What did you do today?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I got my A+ Certification last week. I'm working on the rest of them like the CCNET, CCNA Security, CCNP Security, and learning my first programming language C++. I'm working full-time at T-mobile as well in phone sales. Never seems to let up. Back to the grind :)

Congrats! When learning C++, never, I repeat, NEVER take a look at D. If you learn what C++ could've been you'll hate what it is every single time you use it. I've been scarred for life.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Watching the live stream for Google I/O and reading up on Android development and Ruby on Rails. I am also working on proposals for a couple projects for a potential client.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Watching the live stream for Google I/O and reading up on Android development and Ruby on Rails. I am also working on proposals for a couple projects for a potential client.

Are you going from mobile dev to web dev or the other way around? Or want to do a mix of both? I'm mostly a LAMP stack developer with some JavaScript on the side, but embedded programming has also started to interest me.

I'm currently looking for my next job, but probably not freelancing for clients. Those are a bit tougher for me to land :p

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Are you going from mobile dev to web dev or the other way around? Or want to do a mix of both? I'm mostly a LAMP stack developer with some JavaScript on the side, but embedded programming has also started to interest me.

I'm currently looking for my next job, but probably not freelancing for clients. Those are a bit tougher for me to land :p
I'm looking to do mobile development. I have a bit of experience in both from school and self-teaching but skewed more towards mobile with Java. I am going to continue learning Ruby however. I believe Ruby on Rails, Python + Django, MEAN, or Elixir + Phoenix will continue to be used for various solutions. I prefer Ruby as I grok it very well.

That said, for websites, I prefer static sites with a little JavaScript (whether coded from scratch, build with a framework, or generated using a static site generator). Properly coded, they would perform very well.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That said, for websites, I prefer static sites with a little JavaScript (whether coded from scratch, build with a framework, or generated using a static site generator). Properly coded, they would perform very well.

Yes, yes, yes. The over-reliance on javascript by most developers is infuriating. It kills performance and battery life for users, especially on mobile.

For Kimera Industries we use SSDP (Squarespace Dev Platform) for the backend, but of all the code I've written, there's maybe 20 lines of js across the entire website. It really should be an option of last resort more than anything, especially since a lot of the animations and functionality people tend to want to build can be done entirely with HTML and CSS nowadays.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Yes, yes, yes. The over-reliance on javascript by most developers is infuriating. It kills performance and battery life for users, especially on mobile.

For Kimera Industries we use SSDP (Squarespace Dev Platform) for the backend, but of all the code I've written, there's maybe 20 lines of js across the entire website. It really should be an option of last resort more than anything, especially since a lot of the animations and functionality people tend to want to build can be done entirely with HTML and CSS nowadays.
Exactly. And light on the frameworks? Impressive. I can definitely understand the decision to go with XenForo as well. The pages it creates are light!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Javascript is the worst. The amount of basic stuff people install Node.js for is mind-boggling. It's like "goto" in C++. Can be very useful and it's good that it exists, but you should know exactly when and when not to use it.

Squarespace Dev Platform

That's great, didn't know squarespace offered that option! Makes their service even more tempting to use.

I took my dog to the hospital two days ago and he stayed there until this morning.

There's now serious consideration going on about getting health insurance for him.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Exactly. I can definitely understand the decision to go with XenForo as well. The pages it creates are light!

It's light, it's modern, it's a decent mobile experience out of the box, and it makes styling pretty easy. We've been very happy with it so far.

That's great, didn't know squarespace offered that option! Makes their service even more tempting to use.

It's awesome. You have access to everything, but they provide their image scaling engine and grid layout and responsive algos built-in to the base template. Which means that you have total and granular control of the site, but you can save a ton of time by not having to re-invent the wheel with stuff/problems that they've already built/solved and you're happy with using as-is. Can't recommend it enough.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I took my dog to the hospital two days ago and he stayed there until this morning.

There's now serious consideration going on about getting health insurance for him.
Such a nice looking dog. I've had a collie in my youth and it was a blast.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes indeed, a friend of mine has a sheltie and he is loads of fun to play with. A smart dog you can't fool easily and is good at understanding gestures and mood.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
This week I have mostly been on holiday with the family! A welcome break in Lanzorote from the grim British weather.

It's only our kids second proper holiday, they've been enjoying the pool and beach whilst my pale white legs have been slowly turning red!

Took me ages to upload this view from the our apartment in a nice little hotel called Los Zocos:

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It looks epicly relaxing.

I just did some more work on my Xigmatek Nebula C casemod, not much too look at yet but it was mainly laziness that made me not want to make pictures.

Reactions: K888D

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

Just as annoying is JavaScript that blocks rendering of pages. If 500kb has loaded with dozens of files with a 200 status and you still see nothing, you're doing it wrong. I think a lot of devs are not even considering that for mobile connections, many users are still subject to bandwidth caps and have to load pages at 128k speeds.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Yesterday: Used new toy to replace brake pads and top up brake fluid (despite the help from a brake bleeder that claimed to contain a check valve, and lied). Except the brakes were binding excessively.
Today: Rebuilt the calliper again, this time with more copper grease on the pins. Fixed! Shiny new vented gear arrived too (to replace the mobile sauna I was wearing up to now) and I had a nice evening ride to test things out.
Not to bad for a first time mechanic. Now I just need to resist taking the rest of the bike apart to see how it works...

Reactions: Phuncz

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Looking good in that setup, @EdZ !

I am currently studying Android application development and working out some issues with the IDE, Emulator, and SDK.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Spent 12 hours in a sweaty plastic bag after a high-ish voltage power supply decided that it wanted to become part of the floor and also leak electrolyte everywhere.

Remember folks, a closed face respirator is not arc-flash gear. If 3-phase AC comes for you, you will end up on the other side of the room, possibly cooked to a nice golden brown color.

Reactions: 1s44c and Phuncz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Spent 12 hours in a sweaty plastic bag after a high-ish voltage power supply decided that it wanted to become part of the floor and also leak electrolyte everywhere.
Remember folks, a closed face respirator is not arc-flash gear. If 3-phase AC comes for you, you will end up on the other side of the room, possibly cooked to a nice golden brown color.

You may need a new line of work. Or a raise. Possibly both.