What benchmarks/measurements are useful for you?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Tomorrow, some hardware from @Kmpkt (and Amazon) should be showing up at my door, and I'm going to be benchmarking it and doing some testing we're both interested in seeing the results of.

It's an i7-7700T, i7-7700, i7-7700K, and a few Pascal GPUs. Motherboard is a MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon. (Along with a test bench, some RAM, and a CRYORIG M9i.)

In addition to the Cryorig M9i, I have a Noctua NH-L9i that I can do a second battery of testing with if it helps make things relevant. Kmpkt and I decided on using a small tower cooler partially because it's really affordable at $20, but also because we wanted to see how the 7700K did overclocked. In addition to the practical reasons, it can be cross-referenced with this piece from Optimum Tech which pretty much helps everyone.

The test bench is an OBT Mini, so the tests are going to be open-air.

I'm still fairly new to benchmarking, so I'm here to ask for advice on that but I'm also interested in knowing what tests/information/data would be useful to you. Is there a CPU or GPU benchmark you think is under-utilized? How would you like to see me measuring/recording temperatures or power consumption? Is there a particular way you would like to see this data represented?

• Currently, the best ways I have of recording power draw are measuring the total system Watt usage via a Kill-a-Watt outlet meter and using software like HWiNFO64, which relies on motherboard sensor reporting.
    • The plan right now is to use a camera record footage of the Kill-a-Watt during the benchmark runs--I don't know of a more 'scientific' way to track that data point. Of course I could watch the meter the entire time, but with something so tedious (and some benchmarks running for quite a while, there's a lot of room for human error there. Any better ideas?
  • I've seen sites go pretty high tech with recording temperature data... I'm not super skilled with electrical engineering and programming, so I think tiny sensors and controllers reporting their inputs is beyond my means. I think there are accessible "laser" thermometers, though I don't know how to track them. (With a camera like the Kill-a-Watt?) I am going to look into getting a consistent thermometer or two for tracking ambient temperature. Of course, software is an option but I've heard that can be inaccurate because of how some motherboard sensors work?
    • How would you like to see me track thermals?
  • Any advice for actually running or recording the benchmarks themselves? Settings I might forget to change or whatever else... headaches that we can maybe save future me from running into!
    • Again, suggestions for particular benchmarks are very welcome.
Right now, some benchmarks we're looking at running include:
  • Unigine Superposition and Heaven
  • GTA V
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • 3DMark Firestrike Ultra and Extreme, VR Bench, and Timespy DX12