What did you do today?

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
Oh man, hopefully that will turn out ok. I mean, it's probably not as financially critical as @PNP making a mistake, but still, discovering a bug in a custom SOC after you've had it manufactured is a real bummer.

A re-tapeout isn't very costly assuming that only a few layers require change. However, a $30m deal with a customer rides on this device making it in time. It's actually a huge amount for a small company like ours.

Man, I thought cleanroom garments were suffocating at ~20ish C

Exactly why I stopped going inside during foundry visits and quickly cut to " Let's talk about $/layer/wafer". :)

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Depends on the node and die size I guess.

Exactly why I stopped going inside during foundry visits and quickly cut to " Let's talk about $/layer/wafer". :)

You're not one of those guys who stares at people through an observation deck, are you? I practice my moonwalk in front of school groups but people in suits make me nervous.

Reactions: Phuncz and EdZ

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
After seeing the latest season premiere of The Walking Dead, I'm probably scarred for life. What has been seen cannot be unseen...

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Working on The next update to the RSC thread and improving my skill in FreeCAD.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today and yesterday I was trying to fit the recently acquired 70mm deep 165mm diameter subwoofers in the iQ's rear:

One problem: the tab of the light gray panel is pressing on the speaker's mounting bezel, making the panel not sit flush. So this either means I'm going to have to live with a few mm gaps between the interior panels at the rear of the car (I've yet to see the rear seats used by a person), cut something off irreversibly or go for plan B. I don't often choose the easy way out and this time is no exception: plan B it is.

Plan B is what I've seen a German guy do:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Gave the NC750S a test-ride. As expected of a Honda Jazz engine chopped in half, it's not exactly a high-revving powerhouse, but it's more than adequate for the commuting it'll be mostly used for. I can see the 'frunk' being extremely useful, avoiding the need for a top-box. Sadly the DCT version was not available for a test-ride, so I might need to try one elsewhere. Also on the list is the MT-07, and a Vultus if I can find one (it's a massively overpriced wildly impractical Anime Scooter, but I still want one).

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Wow, that's pretty cool. Never saw a bike with storage there. How many liters does that compartment have?
21L for the 2016 version.
I love the NM4's looks, it just shy of an homage to Akira.
Sadly only Japan gets the newer version which has a red option. And annoyingly, no Panner option for the UK either, you need to order the parts separately - for an eye watering £1250!

Reactions: Soul_Est

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Been mulling over what GTX 1050/Ti to buy at Jet, because of their nice 15% discount. And then Jet screwed many people over with the Wal-Mart acquisition because sales tax is now applicable in many more states, including mine. It's barely any better than Newegg now.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh boy, sometimes I wonder how agonizing that must be like. I get that feeling when I visit HP's site and need more info on a product. There's just so much... stuff on there, somebody had to make that and think about how pointless some or most of it is. For an HP power bank with a single button, I found 3 different spec/info sheets for the exact same product. And they weren't the same specs...

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Probably they have to update the specs when they change a component to save like 5 cents per unit...