What did you do today?

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Very cool, I'll be ordering one of the Destiny ones. Do you know whether they work with Steam Controllers? I really want the Rocket League one (is there only a single one left?), but I fear the controller might fall off.
It doesn't fit the Steam Controller. I've got a specific design for that here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/452741132/steuntje-overwatch-inspired-plywood you can see that it is more narrow at the top.

You want to Rocket League steuntje but what controller are you afraid of falling of? The Steam controller or the Xbox one Controller?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Aww man.

You want to Rocket League steuntje but what controller are you afraid of falling of? The Steam controller or the Xbox one Controller?

The Steam controller. I don't have one from the xbox. EDIT: Fuck it, ordered the Rocket League one anyway because FOMO. Hopefully there'll be an orange one in the future, that's gonna be an insta-buy. I'll be getting the destiny one in February.

Last edited:

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Aww man.

The Steam controller. I don't have one from the xbox. EDIT: Fuck it, ordered the Rocket League one anyway because FOMO. Hopefully there'll be an orange one in the future, that's gonna be an insta-buy.

You're my SFFN homeboy, Imma hook you up with the good stuff :p!
If you want something special I'll make one that is for your steam controller and orange. I just need the signal.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Reviewing two products

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Intel SSD 600p arrived at work for the office PCs:

While most OEMs are still forcing 5400rpm HDDs on me for their desktop PCs, I'll have my coworkers look at those in the figurative rear view mirror with their zippy PCIe NVMe drives. No more will my colleagues be forced to live with snail speed bottom of the barrel no-name PC builds that have ATX cases and 250GB single platter HDDs. They deserve better and so they shall receive. Mainly because they now cost as much as SATA SSD drives.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No more will my colleagues be forced to live with snail speed bottom of the barrel no-name PC builds that have ATX cases and 250GB single platter HDDs.

And they will thank you for it, I see computers all the time with i3's or i5's but with a HDD and they feel like molasses compared to even a Pentium with a SSD.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
To think my own "workstation" at work is exactly what I described (empty ATX with stock cooler and slow HDD), but with a 500GB HDD. But I did put a Kingston Hyper X sticker on the case, making it twice as fast. The SSD went into a NUC though. Oh and I have a 160GB HDD for my system backup with two flaky/obselete screens. And as long as it keeps booting, I'll be a happy camper.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Learned how to implement quartz crystals as clock sources for microcontrollers. And by "learning" I mean skipping over most of the material until I found the minimum information required for it to work properly. EE is complicated.

Also tried to find out how to handle shield/case and signal ground with a USB2.0 connection and found out that's a damn controversial topic.
Though I think I found a good option for my use-case.

And I had my first lecture on "Basics of Astronautics". I really hope it will be as interesting as the prof made it sound today :D

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Wait, FreeCAD has a proper GUI now? Last time I tried it (which admittedly was a few years ago) the primary way to add/manipulate geometry was via CLI.
Yup, since 2013, I believe. It is no longer like BRL-CAD is that sense. If you wish to, you can still use the OpenSCAD workbench or macros, for that.

Intel SSD 600p arrived at work for the office PCs:

--snip--

While most OEMs are still forcing 5400rpm HDDs on me for their desktop PCs, I'll have my coworkers look at those in the figurative rear view mirror with their zippy PCIe NVMe drives. No more will my colleagues be forced to live with snail speed bottom of the barrel no-name PC builds that have ATX cases and 250GB single platter HDDs. They deserve better and so they shall receive. Mainly because they now cost as much as SATA SSD drives.
Agreed. Time for an awakening in their collective consciousness.

Learned how to implement quartz crystals as clock sources for microcontrollers. And by "learning" I mean skipping over most of the material until I found the minimum information required for it to work properly. EE is complicated.

Also tried to find out how to handle shield/case and signal ground with a USB2.0 connection and found out that's a damn controversial topic.
Though I think I found a good option for my use-case.

And I had my first lecture on "Basics of Astronautics". I really hope it will be as interesting as the prof made it sound today :D
Yup, EE is complicated and rewarding when you finish that schematic or PCB. ;) USB has always been rather annoying to implement.

Today, I tweaked the settings for LXQt a bit, switched to Chromium (patched to support VAAPI), and began improving the power management of my system. I also started downloading some video tutorials for FreeCAD and games to play. I continued working on that thing that I showed in screenshot in my last post. It required two M3 hex socket head cap screws (for now), so I took a look here for some measurements.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
USB has always been rather annoying to implement.

Yeah it is. At least USB2.0 is relatively robust, especially at full-speed or low-speed, the latter doesn't even require the signal wires to be a twisted pair (or doesn't require them to be shielded, not sure anymore). It allows for something like 3.5mm trace length mismatch as well, that's pretty easy a requirement to satisfy.

Wouldn't want to do anything with USB3.0, 3.1 or even worse, C-Type with alternate modes. That requires some next-level routing magic including meanders, trace capacitance analysis and stuff like that. Though C-Type still has the legacy USB2.0 signal pair, so that's cool.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Freecad is really a nice piece of software !

Today I didn't do much, been listening to music, played Minecraft and fixed my gamepad issue on Archlinux (xorg xong + udev rules)
Time well spent I'd say! I really do wish that a TU or maintainer would create a package for udev rules as they've done for Android devices. Microcontrollers and gamepads are devices too!

Yeah it is. At least USB2.0 is relatively robust, especially at full-speed or low-speed, the latter doesn't even require the signal wires to be a twisted pair (or doesn't require them to be shielded, not sure anymore). It allows for something like 3.5mm trace length mismatch as well, that's pretty easy a requirement to satisfy.

Wouldn't want to do anything with USB3.0, 3.1 or even worse, C-Type with alternate modes. That requires some next-level routing magic including meanders, trace capacitance analysis and stuff like that. Though C-Type still has the legacy USB2.0 signal pair, so that's cool.
*whistles* Not touching (implementing) those ever I hope.

Yesterday, I got new shoes as my old ones were starting to fall apart.

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
Finally finished the custom system-on-chip silicon design and verification. First silicon will take another 8 weeks to arrive.
I did the circuit level design of system resources (on-chip LDO, buck, clocks etc) and a custom analog signal chain. Simulation looked good, but not sure how it will actually perform since this is the first design with a new foundry partner. :\

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Oh man, hopefully that will turn out ok. I mean, it's probably not as financially critical as @PNP making a mistake, but still, discovering a bug in a custom SOC after you've had it manufactured is a real bummer.

Heh. Funny you should mention SoCs...

A few days ago, I got called up to do some final integration and sign off on a brand new machine, only to discover half of it wasn't built yet. Sorry, but even though I'm convinced that these guys are actually an ancient order of wizards, I can't attach cables to something that isn't there. Even worse, I cut a meeting short to get there on time AND it put me in the wrong place during a fire drill.

Man, I thought cleanroom garments were suffocating at ~20ish C, but after just a short trek under the sun and I was ready to fall over and die.