What did you do today?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
More test rides! A lot busier today now it's not raining, so only got two in: the NC750x DCT variant, and the CB1000RR Fireblade. DCT feels even weirder on a Standard bike, mainly because of the almost total lack of engine-braking. Not having to worry about gearing and clutch at very low speeds is pretty nice for commuting though, and while the NC750X is uncomfortable tall I already now the NC750S is nicely sized. The Fireblade was a lot of fun, after I got used to the very different riding and equipment position of a Supersport, though surprisingly comfortable. Completely overkill for my commute though: I could do the entire route in first gear and barely get halfway to redline!

Reactions: LocoMoto

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Spent a few hours fixing a mistake in my layout because I wasn't able to read datasheets correctly. Glad I started writing the firmware before ordering any PCBs.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Last round of test rides:
- GSX-750R: More toned down than the Fireblade, and a more relaxed seating position, but still not really suitable for a commuter.
- MT-07 Moto Cage: I actually enjoyed this more than the MT-09. It's a very 'loose' feeling bike, both in the positive and negative sense: relaxed to ride on, power delivered easily without being overly punchy, and overall comfortable to ride. But also clearly built down to a price; different bits rattle at different resonances as you go through the rev range, with the instruments & flyscreen being the most obvious. Doesn't have the solid build or convenient storage of the NC750S, but definitely a more fun bike.
- VFR-800F: Really love it, seriously considering getting one over the NC750S. Extremely comfortable, mirrors controls etc all in just the right place, plenty of power but delivered very comfortably, great handling, acceptable fuel economy (though I don't think anything could touch the Nc series there). Just an all-round great bike.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Searched for jobs in the local classifieds, looked a cars, and researched car insurance. I am also working out a another transportable case design.

Reactions: Phuncz

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Will we accomplish anything ? Probably not. Does it matter ? Doing nothing can accomplish nothing.
One step at a time we shape our future, we've built marvelous structures, painted world changing paintings, created music and instruments that touch our souls and of course we've rallied together in the past and have made steps to a better now..
It all happened because we took that one step.

In other news, man am I glad to see the snow again, now I can start making fallen snow angels!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Recorded an episode of Low Volume, migrated the site and forum to new servers (and it only took 1.5 hours longer than planned), changed the oil on my truck, and did laundry. Today was a productive day.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
We don't even have snow in Alaska yet!! Normally its here by early October.
Been a bit off this year, usually here in Northern Sweden we get snow that stays in mid-October but even now close to December it's nearly slush... :/
Made a way for a Titan X cooler to fit on my 290 which isn't dead (hopefully). It's not finished yet, need to secure the fan and the shroud.
Neat!
Really wanna see the results of that when it's done! :eek:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
It's in a month, I know, but kids couldn't hold it any longer (sorry for the crappy cellphone night shot):

Reactions: jeshikat and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm going to try and tackle setting up the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite I bought earlier this year. I have the week off, two Raspberry Pi 3 with Ubuntu Mate (updating as we speak), a managed switch and wireless access point. This is going to need to be the internet backbone for our 30-person LAN party early next year.

Than I have to figure out what I'm going to use as game server, since I want multiple Gbit ports but the In Win Chopin doesn't have room. Hmm maybe it's a good time to look for a Xeon D mITX... And I still need to look at how I'm going to tackle the Steam Proxy. My December will be pretty full !

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
New Recieved my OBDEleven and cleared an Airbag light on my '10 Golf Variant. Now i want to buy the pro licence and mess with it some more! Maybe next year..
While most people are complaining about EURO5's potential impact on motorcycle power, I'm going to be really happy once OBD-I (and OBD-II from 2020) is mandated. The current state of ECU diagnostics is pretty poor (everybody using their own proprietary system) compared to what is available for cars.
I'm going to try and tackle setting up the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite I bought earlier this year. I
I've got an Edgerouter X on the way, to replace an old RT-N16 running DD-WRT that can no longer keep up with my upgraded downstream link (jumping from 20Mbit to 200Mbit). I also considered the Mikrotik Hex, but the Ubiquiti routers look slightly easier to set up without already being well versed in networking.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Been a bit off this year, usually here in Northern Sweden we get snow that stays in mid-October but even now close to December it's nearly slush... :/

Neat!
Really wanna see the results of that when it's done! :eek:
Just need to cut out a few more metal plates (cooling VRAM chips and mounting the shroud) and it should be done. Although, it currently gives a code 43 in Windows (but it still displays..?) so I'm not sure if it can actually still be used...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've got an Edgerouter X on the way, to replace an old RT-N16 running DD-WRT that can no longer keep up with my upgraded downstream link (jumping from 20Mbit to 200Mbit). I also considered the Mikrotik Hex, but the Ubiquiti routers look slightly easier to set up without already being well versed in networking.
Oh it's not difficult out of the box, using one of the template configs. But if you need to do more stuff like QoS or Firewall rules, be prepared to dive deep into protocol material and manuals. But knowing you that won't be a problem.

I've decided to quit my job in a few months and go for higher studies. It's time to press the "reset button" and get my life back in order.
I've done that not so long ago, I'm glad I did. Two friends of mine I've also advised doing the same, one didn't follow through at the end and still is where he was when he started, the other did finish his studies and is in a much better place now.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer