What did you do today?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've emailed Thermaltake just to find out the price/release date but I haven't heard back yet.
From this topic: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...tion-coolchip-kinetic-cooler.1040/#post-20663

That reminds me how it's still a challenge to get people's attention when you want to sell, promote or pay for their products. Free publicity, effing noobs at the office, those sales pay for your paychecks.

This wasn't today, but it wasn't that long ago either:
One of the most extreme example I can think of this, is when I had to get a correction on the invoice at a very well-known company who sold us € 20.000 worth of copiers. I called maybe a dozen times, e-mail spammed the hell out of everyone at the company I had an e-mail address of, all in a span of multiple months and nothing came back.
Eventually using my personal address and me basically saying "if you don't fix the invoice, you can come and collect your machines", to find out it wasn't a technical issue of the lack of communication, just mismanagement and the only person who seemed to care about closing the deal was the telephone receptionist.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That would be a good idea. It will help with further optimizing the project.

Done.

So last week, I went on the first mechanical keyboard meetup in Germany. I drove over 400km to get there, and then the same distance to get back home in the same day, but it was worth every mile. We were more than 50 people had loads of awesome keyboards and even the guys from wooting joined us to showcase their analog keyboard. There was also pizza and a huge raffle (in which I didn't win anything, even with the odds being close to 1/4). That was pretty darn sweet.

Got a sweet shot of my keyboard made by our photographer at the event (Full album).

Also went to Europapark, Germany's biggest theme park, with my two brothers and visited our grandparents afterwards. Came back today from picking apples off the ground. This is about a third of what we managed to get:

Next week I'll know how many litres of juice we got from them.

Oh and I also began founding Freilite e.K., which will be the company I'll be selling the FSP500 as. Hopefully it'll be fully operational withing the next few weeks. Exciting times!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Are you close on the FSP 500? I haven't seen many updates of late?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
even the guys from wooting joined us to showcase their analog keyboard.
Did you try it out ? I'm very excited to find out how they are but unsure to plop down the money just yet.
Oh and I also began founding Freilite e.K., which will be the company I'll be selling the FSP500 as. Hopefully it'll be fully operational withing the next few weeks. Exciting times!
You've been a busy bee ! Looking forward to this !

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Are you close on the FSP 500? I haven't seen many updates of late?

Unfortunately not, FSP wants me to be a business before we're doing real talk, so that's what I'm working on now. I didn't think that part was interesting to most, so I'll only be writing an update once that's done.

Did you try it out ? I'm very excited to find out how they are but unsure to plop down the money just yet.

Actually I didn't, I wanted to try all the other boards there. But I don't think you need to commit to it right now. They've been very successful so far and the technology will become available in other forms as well in the future, they even said that something like a 60% version or a 40% Planck with analog switches are a possibility in the future. I'd just wait out a year or so until we know more, I'm pretty sure this kind of technology will migrate into regular keyboards as well.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Apparently, the Nokia 230 we bought for some colleagues who just wanted a cheap no-frills phone just for calling, is no longer available, even though we bought them not so long ago. While some may scuff at the idea, having a phone that can be used for a week on one charge, is light but sturdy and straight forward usage-wise, is a blessing when you just need to be called.

So I went to look for replacements in my country and its neighbours for something that doesn't scream "senior phone" or "burner phone" and I came up empty. Nokia seems to finally have disappeared after it's Microsoft aquisition, but apparently no company is picking up the slack.

Backup plan: skim eBay for the last few simple phones that are still available.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So I went to look for replacements in my country and its neighbours for something that doesn't scream "senior phone" or "burner phone" and I came up empty.

Aww shit, I really liked the 230 in terms of looks. It really is what I use my phone for 90% of the time, but I guess it just didn't sell that well. Those other 10% just make phones like that lose appeal, and smartphones can be had very cheap by now.

Not today, but yesterday, I installed an MX Lock switch on my keyboard. Each one of these cost 8$ ATM because they aren't produced anymore.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Nokia seems to finally have disappeared after it's Microsoft aquisition

IIRC Microsoft has since sold on most of their Nokia assets to a Chinese company who's name escapes me

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Reconfigured my home network yesterday evening to run wired connections to the media streamer and consoles (my wife complains about bandwidth whenever my son watches YouTube on the WiiU). I was literally short three ways of being able to put the wireless AP on top of the TV hutch (while connecting to the streamer and the WiiU) when I discovered our first (wired) router (Linksys BEFSR41) in my "parts tote". So instead, I set up the old wired router as a dumb switch inside the TV hutch (this allowed shorter cabling for just about everything and kept the wireless out in the open) and left the wireless switch/AP in the basement (where our cable modem lives) for the time being. Previously, I had the AP (Linksys WRT54G) as the internet router, but decided that I'd rather have the Asus Dark Knight N66U move to the gatekeeper position, as the firmware still gets updates. The old configuration put a lot of stress on the G wireless with the consoles and all the tablets/phones we seem to accumulate, and this should hopefully improve the situation.

Tonight I looked into setting up my old Wii (not U) to play our games from a USB drive instead of fumbling around with the discs, but it was getting late and I also was baking banana bread, so I'll table that until the weekend.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Tonight I looked into setting up my old Wii (not U) to play our games from a USB drive instead of fumbling around with the discs, but it was getting late and I also was baking banana bread, so I'll table that until the weekend.

I did this not so long ago in order to play games backed up from disk (replacing disks because their scratched is arse), the wii is a pretty easy console to soft mod, especially now its not seeing much in the way of firmware updates from Nintendo.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Spent the last 5 days moving everything around in the house, as well as moving my sister and my nephew to their new place. Also took over the lease on this house so I have more space for myself and my two kids. 3 bedrooms, 3 people. I also now have moved my workstation to an office space in the living area, rather than it being in my bedroom!

I still have two more days of this, plus I'm working 8 hour days Mon-Fri and doing the solo parent thing..I'm tired!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Today I was shopping for a rolling stool for work. I found a stool I liked that cost 165 dollars, but at a quantity of 14 or more the price dropped to 39 dollars per stool. Obviously I ordered 14 stools. If anyone needs a stool please let me know.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Today I was shopping for a rolling stool for work. I found a stool I liked that cost 165 dollars, but at a quantity of 14 or more the price dropped to 39 dollars per stool. Obviously I ordered 14 stools. If anyone needs a stool please let me know.

Did you, at the very least, request a sample of the stool?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Aww shit, I really liked the 230 in terms of looks. It really is what I use my phone for 90% of the time, but I guess it just didn't sell that well.
I think it did sell well, but there's just no production anymore. I can't find one in stock where I look and these shops still have 5 year old Nokia phones in stock...

So I ordered this one:

Nokia 300. Touchscreen with buttons and "Nokia OS". Long battery life, large screen, camera. For 85€ quite nice for people who don't want a smartphone.

IIRC Microsoft has since sold on most of their Nokia assets to a Chinese company who's name escapes me

Yes indeed, I had to look it up too:
On 18 May 2016, Microsoft announced the sale of the Nokia-branded featurephone division to FIH Mobile, a division of Foxconn, and HMD global, a new company in Finland. The two will be working together, along with Nokia Technologies, to create Nokia-branded devices. The deal is expected to close in June 2016. Nokia will be providing brand and patent licensing to HMD, and will take a seat on the board of directors of the company, as well as set requirements. The first batch of Nokia-brand smartphone to be unveil is expected on Q4 2016, but is possible to postponed to Q1 2017.
So there is still hope.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I've been having some issues in trying to get my custom controller stands sold. Most of is marketing/advertising related.

I thought I would try to make an Imgur and Reddit post for my custom steuntjes and I feel like that took off.

Got a lot of views and requests on Etsy which is great, I really need that!

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Those controller stands have an awesome style to them!, kinda makes me want to get a controller o_o

Reactions: QinX

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I've been having some issues in trying to get my custom controller stands sold. Most of is marketing/advertising related.

I thought I would try to make an Imgur and Reddit post for my custom steuntjes and I feel like that took off.

Got a lot of views and requests on Etsy which is great, I really need that!

Oh neat, I still remember the first one you made!

How much does one of these cost? I know someone who would really love the one with the destiny logo.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Oh neat, I still remember the first one you made!

How much does one of these cost? I know someone who would really love the one with the destiny logo.
That Destiny logo steuntje is €26,75 and the Iron Banner is €31,25. I was a bit stumped I went to sleep with 50 point and 2k views and woke up to 1k point an 33k views! It's amazing to see what kind of impact "social media" can have.

Reactions: Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That Destiny logo steuntje is €26,75 and the Iron Banner is €31,25. I was a bit stumped I went to sleep with 50 point and 2k views and woke up to 1k point an 33k views! It's amazing to see what kind of impact "social media" can have.

Very cool, I'll be ordering one of the Destiny ones. Do you know whether they work with Steam Controllers? I really want the Rocket League one (is there only a single one left?), but I fear the controller might fall off.