What did you do today?

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I got my first mechanical keyboard recently. Leopold FC660M w/ MX Blacks. Feels absolutely solid and is amazing to type on. The only downside so far is holding down the WASD keys for long periods of time since it's got some pretty heavy resistance.

I am in the middle of laying out a slim vertical mini itx case around 360mm H x 310mm D x 90mm W. For now, I've settled on a similar layout to Lian Li's PC-O5, with the PSU rotated to exhaust out the top. I might make a thread for the project, but I don't want to waste a thread if I might not be able to follow through on the project in a timely manner.

I'm on the fence about using a Flex ATX for the layout. It'll get me some space savings and might even free up space for a single rad AIO, but I've heard that Flex ATX PSUs can get rather loud.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I got my first mechanical keyboard recently. Leopold FC660M w/ MX Blacks. Feels absolutely solid and is amazing to type on. The only downside so far is holding down the WASD keys for long periods of time since it's got some pretty heavy resistance.

Oh man, the hate against linear switches is embedded deep inside of me, but congrats on getting a mech and one that you like the feel of! SFF keyboards are all the rage ;)

I'm on the fence about using a Flex ATX for the layout. It'll get me some space savings and might even free up space for a single rad AIO, but I've heard that Flex ATX PSUs can get rather loud.

Once I get the FSP500 out the door, we will have a solid example against that. It's amazing how quietly a 40mm fan can cool a PSU if it's in its peak efficiency range.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
How are things going with obtaining the FSP500? HAven't heard much about it in a while.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
How are things going with obtaining the FSP500? HAven't heard much about it in a while.

Incorporation of Freilite e.K. is almost finished. I'm waiting for one final letter before things can proceed (german bureaucracy) . Meanwhile, I'm preparing the drawing to send to FSP, and I will post that in the respective threads when it's done. After that, it's pretty much just asking for a quote from FSP and setting up some place where people can pre-order it.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
Oh man, the hate against linear switches is embedded deep inside of me, but congrats on getting a mech and one that you like the feel of! SFF keyboards are all the rage ;)
I was originally going to get a KUL with MX Clears from EliteKeyboards, but when I attempted to checkout through paypal it kept saying the item was out of stock. I did send an e-mail and reddit message asking them, but never got a response. Turns out they did have them in stock and that I could order one through paypal, but the error was corrected 3 days after I ordered the Leopold, and I never got a proper response to my previous inquiries. I only found out when out of curiosity I tried to checkout with it again and got past the stock-checking page. I'm still super disappointed, but at the same time I love the size and feel of the Leopold.

Once I get the FSP500 out the door, we will have a solid example against that. It's amazing how quietly a 40mm fan can cool a PSU if it's in its peak efficiency range.
I haven't heard about the FSP500 before, and it doesn't seem like a FlexATX that I could buy off the shelf. Could you fill me in?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Apparently FSP will have a booth there. Make sure you harass them about an 80+ platinum modular Flex ATX PSU.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
And retail AC-DC power supplies designed for gaming PCs, which are applicable in backpack, SFF and AIO cases.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Apparently FSP will have a booth there. Make sure you harass them about an 80+ platinum modular Flex ATX PSU.

Oh dang, I didn't know. Yes, they have a booth on A2.525.
Electronica will be ending today, so I'm not sure I'll have time to pay a second visit, but if I do I'll certainly go. Even if I don't have a business card yet.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
So in procrastinating studying for my real analysis exam, I've planned a bit more of a custom case. Since I'm still very new to this, I'm not sure how to handle a few things. Below is a quick render of the layout I did in 3ds max.

Admittedly it's pretty much the same layout as the Lian Li PC-O5, which makes me wonder if I should even go forward with this idea at all since I'd probably spend as much, if not more than the PC-O5 just to get a custom enclosure.

It's about 310mm front to back, 90mm wide, and 370mm tall. I could certainly make it shorter, but I don't know how much clearance I would need before overheight video cards start interfering with the PCIE slot with a riser and any other motherboard components. The GPU is offset from the right side panel which gives me enough room to put some SSD's behind it.

The front panel is missing for now so as to get a good view of the internals. I'm still not entirely sure how I should go about shaping the enclosure so that it can be properly fabricated. Ideally I'd like to keep the shape currently pictured, where the rear, top, bottom, and right hand sides are all put together into this sort of shape and then the left and front panels are bent from a single sheet which is separate from the rest of the enclosure.

Not sure how far I should offset the motherboard tray from the right side panel so the standoffs don't scratch the panel if they're protruding through; that being said I could just assume everyone's using 6-32 standoffs and be done with it.

Being the wishful thinking child that I am, I wanted tempered glass for the side panel, seen off to the left. At the same time, acrylic sheets are incredibly tempting and I think a far more feasible option.

I'll definitely be refining this more in the future.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The PC-O5 is a good case. If you like the aesthetics of it, there's no reason not to get it, apart from the experience of making a scratch build. I'm pretty sure custom will actually cost you more, unless you do most of the work by hand.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I'm not a fan of the PC-O5's aesthetics, nor of its size.

I haven't yet found a case that I quite like, so it's partly the motivation for doing this

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Dishwasher died today. Gonna be postponing new component purchases until the new year to help offset the short-term cost of the replacement.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Day 1 of MCL: oogled a bunch of bikes to test ride, got ear canal impressions done for proper filtered earplugs, took an MT-09 for a test ride. Also found out how shockingly bad my eyesight had gotten, and how amazingly quickly modern Opticians can grind out a set of lenses (~2 hours from start of measurement to having finished glasses).

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I really prefer the look of the MT-07 Moto Cage (I'm a sucker for the Cyberpunk aesthetic), so I wish the Night Fluo MT-09 came with a similar option package. I'll try and squeeze in the MT-07 tomorrow, but people who've tried it have said that while you get a lot of bike for your money, it really is built down to a price. My gut feeling is still swinging towards the NC750S purely for practicality and reliability, though I'm still going to give the new Fireblade and the R1 a try to 'see what I'm missing', and after that I might have changed my mind on the MT-09/MT-10...

Reactions: Phuncz