Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Would this PCIe risers fit in a previous gen Velka 5 or current Velka 7?

It might only fit into the new Velka 5 because it is the only case with a large amount of space between the power supply and motherboard. That riser would still be left floating if it fits. I'm not sure why you would want one if the PCIE gen 3 compatible version costs $120.

Mine has been sitting on "Pre-Shipment" since it was created at 12AM....

Just checked inventory again and the quantities are correct so this was definitely picked up by USPS. It may have missed the initial scan and still be on the way. We will have to wait and see.

etnbrd

What's an ITX?
New User
May 18, 2020
Yea the 3080 barely fits V7, and on that note will need some funky adjustments because of its weird fan flow. I was gunna reverse the PSU so it’s fan sucks from the 3080 FE, instead of the back of the PSU blocking 60% of that fans air lol
I am planning to buy a Velka 7 and an RTX 3080 as well if the airflow allows it.

So with reversing the PSU, it would suck the hot air from the 3080, and extract it outside, right?
If the PSU can handle these temperatures, then it might even help avoid the GPU heating the air inside the case which in turn prevent the CPU from properly cooling, no?

CatHands94

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 4, 2020
How are third party AIB cards looking for the Velka 7? Obviously the three slot cards are out of the question but what about something like the XC3 from EVGA?

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
UPS says my case is on a truck in my town, dying for it to get here. :cool:
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures! Currently practicing flick shots so I can hit the "Add to Cart" button ASAP for a Velka 5 tomorrow. An RTX 3070 + Velka 5 is the dream ?

EDIT: Also, my understanding of the 3070 is that it does NOT adopt the 3080 and 3090's new airflow design, i.e. it should be perfectly compatible with sff cases. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zadok24

dannycpham

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2019
Super excited for this:
Ended up buying a Velka 5 in the last batch, but going to upgrade to a Velka 7 now lmao. IDK if anyone wants to trade ? But I will be up again tomorrow to order one.

pyroxide

Caliper Novice
Aug 14, 2019
someone discarded this on my porch for some reason.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I am planning to buy a Velka 7 and an RTX 3080 as well if the airflow allows it.

So with reversing the PSU, it would suck the hot air from the 3080, and extract it outside, right?
If the PSU can handle these temperatures, then it might even help avoid the GPU heating the air inside the case which in turn prevent the CPU from properly cooling, no?

Flipping the SFX PSU in a Velka 7 is not always possible because this piece that connects the motherboard tray to the bottom can interfere with the cables. It would be safer to plan around having the intake fan facing the outside of the case. That piece can be removed, but the tray would be less stable.

my understanding of the 3070 is that it does NOT adopt the 3080 and 3090's new airflow design, i.e. it should be perfectly compatible with sff cases. Can anyone confirm this?

It seems like they're similar in the way that the exhaust air passes through the card as opposed to coming out of the sides. Until the cards become available, we can predict physical compatibility fairly well but not cooling performance. My guess is that it shouldn't be a problem in the Velka 5 specifically because there is space around the Flex ATX power supply when you don't use any 2.5" drives.

Reactions: Fueled By Yams

RainSFF

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 4, 2020
I just finished my build in the VK3 v2 and have some thoughts. First off, the quality is really impressive! The metal is strong and side panels feel sturdy unlike v1 which I also had. This is a seriously strong little brick. However, the build process (in my opinion) got worse compared to v1. My biggest issue was with the mobo tray and PSU bracket. For whatever reason it was impossible for me to install the PSU while using the bracket, so I removed it. There was a bit on the mobo tray that the PSU got stuck on when sliding in that I could not get it to go over with the bracket. I even tried installing the PSU first and putting the mobo tray + bracket 2nd, still didn't work. Even without the PSU bracket it was super tough to get the motherboard tray aligned properly with the rear IO. The case actually partially blocks the USB-C port on my Gigabyte 2070 mini so the cable can't fit all the way. Another issue I had was with the front panel. I literally had to hammer it into place with my fist! Props on the tolerances but holy cow, it's tight. Fitting a lot of components required more force than I was expecting, and it felt even more infuriating than the v1 build. If I didn't have as much SFF experience as I do this would've been the worst build of my life. Don't get me wrong, I love the case, but it still feels a bit unrefined or untested. Also, non-magnetic screws on a 160$ case? Gave me a bit of a chuckle :) Overall, I would never recommend this to a first time SFF builder, but for a fun challenge that's small and sexy this totally fits the bill. The new power button is miles better than the v1 as well. I hope there's a version 2.1 that fixes the little issues. Also by my measurements the case is 190*97*219mm, 4.03L. Not quite the 4L mark breakage I was expecting. Thanks for your hard work as always Michael, and keep doing what you do.

Reactions: DrummerMuppet

RainSFF

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 4, 2020
I just finished my build in the VK3 v2 and have some thoughts. First off, the quality is really impressive! The metal is strong and side panels feel sturdy unlike v1 which I also had. This is a seriously strong little brick. However, the build process (in my opinion) got worse compared to v1. My biggest issue was with the mobo tray and PSU bracket. For whatever reason it was impossible for me to install the PSU while using the bracket, so I removed it. There was a bit on the mobo tray that the PSU got stuck on when sliding in that I could not get it to go over with the bracket. I even tried installing the PSU first and putting the mobo tray + bracket 2nd, still didn't work. Even without the PSU bracket it was super tough to get the motherboard tray aligned properly with the rear IO. The case actually partially blocks the USB-C port on my Gigabyte 2070 mini so the cable can't fit all the way. Another issue I had was with the front panel. I literally had to hammer it into place with my fist! Props on the tolerances but holy cow, it's tight. Fitting a lot of components required more force than I was expecting, and it felt even more infuriating than the v1 build. If I didn't have as much SFF experience as I do this would've been the worst build of my life. Don't get me wrong, I love the case, but it still feels a bit unrefined or untested. Also, non-magnetic screws on a 160$ case? Gave me a bit of a chuckle :) Overall, I would never recommend this to a first time SFF builder, but for a fun challenge that's small and sexy this totally fits the bill. The new power button is miles better than the v1 as well. I hope there's a version 2.1 that fixes the little issues. Also by my measurements the case is 190*97*219mm, 4.03L. Not quite the 4L mark breakage I was expecting. Thanks for your hard work as always Michael, and keep doing what you do.
Also forgot to add, the Metalfish z39 fits without any bending! Best cooler for the case hands down.

MaxBurnout

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2020
Bro it took me 4 hours to install my stuff lol, everything is like crammed in, I highly recommend not using a 2.5inch at all, I have a 2.5ssd and it was a pain to fit.

for sizing info on parts that fix:
rtx 2080
Ab350 mobo
NH-L9-AM4 with upgraded fan NF-A9 PWM

Narbles

Chassis Packer
Jul 25, 2020
Got too ahead of myself because USPS "Couldn't access location" which I presume is code for "We didn't load it onto the truck whoopsie!" so now it won't arrive until Tuesday. :D

RainSFF

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 4, 2020
Bro it took me 4 hours to install my stuff lol, everything is like crammed in, I highly recommend not using a 2.5inch at all, I have a 2.5ssd and it was a pain to fit.

for sizing info on parts that fix:
rtx 2080
Ab350 mobo
NH-L9-AM4 with upgraded fan NF-A9 PWM
I think it too me just about 45 minutes to transfer from a different case :p

kroken

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2019
Can i use ENP-7660B in velka 7 ? isnt it better than SFX?

and what about the included pci gen 3 cable? as i understood we need gen 4 for the new 3080?

Last edited:

kic2807

Cable Smoosher
Feb 12, 2020
and what about the included pci gen 3 cable? as i understood we need gen 4 for the new 3080?

i was researching for pcie 4 riser cables as well, but decided to wait since pcie 4 cables i found cost about usd 100. also it seems nvidia presentation was done in pcie 3 setup since all the games were running on intel m/b