Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah a lot of options coming out this month Sidearm, Ghost and this - would be devo if I can't get anything lol
Hey man, welcome to the other side!

So got my Velka 5 yesterday (I'm also in Australia and got a B-Stock case from Michael directly).

Was such a fun build and I am so enamoured by this case.

Only issue is my GPU, a Zotac RTX 2080 Twin Fan LOOKS like a 2 slot card, but the fan hubs protrude *just* enough that they make contact with the side panel so I have to run it with the side off. Currently thinking I'll sell and pick up a 5700 XT Red Devil - not as quick but cooler, quieter and I'm no longer driving 4k so it won't be a massive deal.

RaihaX

Caliper Novice
Jan 14, 2019
Hey man, welcome to the other side!

So got my Velka 5 yesterday (I'm also in Australia and got a B-Stock case from Michael directly).

Was such a fun build and I am so enamoured by this case.

Only issue is my GPU, a Zotac RTX 2080 Twin Fan LOOKS like a 2 slot card, but the fan hubs protrude *just* enough that they make contact with the side panel so I have to run it with the side off. Currently thinking I'll sell and pick up a 5700 XT Red Devil - not as quick but cooler, quieter and I'm no longer driving 4k so it won't be a massive deal.

Haha hey - been lurking for a while as I am mainly active on reddit instead :D

At this stage if Michael release the b stock right at this moment I am ready to throw my money at him, plus the white that he showed me looks so good.

Yeah I am still using my trusty Zotac 1080 mini - works on most cases and powerful enough with the things I do these days.

RaihaX

Caliper Novice
Jan 14, 2019
@RaihaX Zotac 1080 mini? Remember to prepare to ziptie it to the motherboard frame! The fan will grate against the side. You might also want to pry off the logo on the bigger fan, too.

Ah good to know - thanks for the heads up with the fitment issue.

*edit* does this only apply to the first revision where Michael didn't have the GPU bracket to fix the alignment issue?

Last edited:

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Hey have the same problem as you do. I removed the heatsink but left the default thermal pad in there, as part of it still touches the mobo tray. I used some thermal tape on the other end which doesn't touch the tray.

What do you mean the rear bracket covers the fan grill? Also, what are your VRM temps like under load?

Sorry for the confusion. So there is what appears to be a perforated panel on the VRM heatsink on the Asus X570-I. I didn't remove it, though I may, but I suspect the VRM heatsink fan is underneath this perforated panel. It is the piece that says "ROG STRIX" in grey font. If you look at what is described as the "Back Panel" in the VK-3 installation manual, pg 15, you will see that back panel covers that perforated section, limiting air flow.

Perhaps I am wrong.

My VRM temps under load (without any TIM between mobo tray and the back the PCB) has been as high as 85. I haven't done a very scientific analysis but if I had to guess the mean temp under load I'd wager about 65c. The max temp is much too hot in my opinion. Please note this is with the standard ASUS Suite 3 FanXpert fan curve.

What temps have you seen?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Sorry for the confusion. So there is what appears to be a perforated panel on the VRM heatsink on the Asus X570-I. I didn't remove it, though I may, but I suspect the VRM heatsink fan is underneath this perforated panel. It is the piece that says "ROG STRIX" in grey font. If you look at what is described as the "Back Panel" in the VK-3 installation manual, pg 15, you will see that back panel covers that perforated section, limiting air flow.

Perhaps I am wrong.

My VRM temps under load (without any TIM between mobo tray and the back the PCB) has been as high as 85. I haven't done a very scientific analysis but if I had to guess the mean temp under load I'd wager about 65c. The max temp is much too hot in my opinion. Please note this is with the standard ASUS Suite 3 FanXpert fan curve.

What temps have you seen?

VRM components (FETs, caps etc...) are tolerant of high temperatures. 85 degrees is a safe temperature for them, especially in small cases, thermal shutoff isn't until about 120 degrees in my experience. Most decent capacitors are rated at 105 degrees (and I think with a rough doubling of expected service lifetimes with each 10 degree drop in temperatures)

IMO 85 degrees at load is absolutely within specs for VRMs

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Does this case include a thin plastic shield to protect the motherboard from the heat from the GPU? I don't know what to call it, but a few other cases have had it.

JxeI

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 8, 2020
when would the velka 5 rev 1.2 with the top cable cover appear? Those cables at the top are the only thing stopping me from choosing the velka 5

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
when would the velka 5 rev 1.2 with the top cable cover appear? Those cables at the top are the only thing stopping me from choosing the velka 5

I'm fairly certain that hasn't been announced. Where have you seen there'll be a top cover?

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
I'm fairly certain that hasn't been announced. Where have you seen there'll be a top cover?
Yeah, after I saw that I tried looking it up and couldn't find any reference to a top cover either.

Also, if a top cover is out of the question it would be great if the case came with 2 90 degree display port adapters instead of HDMI. I believe way more monitors with FreeSync/G-Sync require a display port connection for adaptive refresh. Both my FreeSync v1 and new (2018) G-Sync monitors need display port.

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
Any one have experience with the Flex ATX PSU that Velkase sells?

ENP-7660B 600W Flex ATX Power Supply

Is this different than the SSFTEC version's fan curve/fan type and noise?

pwnedundies

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2019
Any one have experience with the Flex ATX PSU that Velkase sells?

ENP-7660B 600W Flex ATX Power Supply

Is this different than the SSFTEC version's fan curve/fan type and noise?
It looks to be a normal ENP-7660B. No one outside of ssftec has gotten the custom one (that I have seen) so there is no way to know exactly

JxeI

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 8, 2020
Sorry for the misunderstanding, i meant if there will be a rev 1.2 with those suggested features. Has there been any updates on the Velka7 too?

pwnedundies

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2019
Does that mean it has a 40x20 or 40x15 fan?
Sorry for the confusion but none of these are using a noctua fan at them moment. I could be wrong about the Velka one because the page wasn't up very long but it appears to be the stock fan. The fan is changed in the sfftec version to a Delta fan. The only one that I know of that has a noctua fan swap at a cost is the geeek one.

Reactions: cennis

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Ordered a silver Velka 5 b-stock about 10 minutes after the shop went back online today. A little worried because the scratches might be the most visible on silver, but hopefully I get one of the nicer b-stocks in the batch. ?

Reactions: cennis