Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

kimchiman31

Efficiency Noob
Jan 4, 2020
I paid $ 59.99 for the USPS Priority Mail International shipping.
when I look up the invoice number, it comes out as First-Class Package International Service. Is this correct?

kimchiman31

Efficiency Noob
Jan 4, 2020
I paid $ 59.99 for the USPS Priority Mail International shipping.
when I look up the invoice number, it comes out as First-Class Package International Service. Is this correct?
I sent a mail. and I got a refund for shipping cost. The delivery will take a long time, but I'm glad solved it quickly

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
@QuantumBraced - I think we need to get Flex ATX mainstream to pull more people to the case. The noise right now is the biggest hurdle. The problem is that if you want a quiet Flex ATX unit, you need to swap the fan. That said when you consider where SFX was at the start of the last decade, there could be hope. Bonus points for modularity.

But the 5L Intel NUC uses FlexATX too. You can also do HDPlex, which is enough for anything you can cool in the Velka 3, and most people won't care about the power brick.

But I agree, the only reason anyone will buy that NUC or the Razor case is because they won't know about the Velka 3/Flex ATX, Dan A4, etc. otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. These cases were super niche in 2016 when I got my NCase M1, but they've definitely become more mainstream with Linus, Kyle, Paul and other major youtubers covering them.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@QuantumBraced - Which the fact that the Intel NUC is using FlexATX as well is a good thing. Means that someone somewhere (FSP, Intel, etc) is continuing to develop the platform, which hopefully might trickle down into consumer products, which means more better choices for cases like the Velka 3. We hopefully need a Corsair, EVGA, etc to notice these developments and make something. (If that doesn't work just stick an RGB strip on one and give it to Linus.)

I hope the same happens with the Plug-in ATX space as well. My HDPLEX 200W + Dell 330W combo in my Lone L5 is great, but 300W or 400W in the same form factor would give me more headroom for CPU upgrades. I could also see it as a game changer with sandwich cases.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
But the 5L Intel NUC uses FlexATX too. You can also do HDPlex, which is enough for anything you can cool in the Velka 3, and most people won't care about the power brick.

But I agree, the only reason anyone will buy that NUC or the Razor case is because they won't know about the Velka 3/Flex ATX, Dan A4, etc. otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. These cases were super niche in 2016 when I got my NCase M1, but they've definitely become more mainstream with Linus, Kyle, Paul and other major youtubers covering them.

I disagree. Building a computer can be extremely daunting for some. No one from that demographic would be represented here as this board is essentially a custom niche builder forum. I know a few people who wouldnt dare build in a Velka 3, let alone mess with anything in a M1 case. They are the type who buy new PCs every few years from Digital Storm, Origin, or Alienware and the like.

This is a new market segment for the SFF community that might get more people into building and modding PCs. If these little NUCs take off, we may see full desktop parts with custom cooling solutions in this form factor in a few years. I’ve personally been dying for a motherboard smaller than the standard ITX one we’ve been on for a while, and this might be the solution.

Reactions: Kilrah

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I disagree. Building a computer can be extremely daunting for some. No one from that demographic would be represented here as this board is essentially a custom niche builder forum. I know a few people who wouldnt dare build in a Velka 3, let alone mess with anything in a M1 case. They are the type who buy new PCs every few years from Digital Storm, Origin, or Alienware and the like.

This is a new market segment for the SFF community that might get more people into building and modding PCs. If these little NUCs take off, we may see full desktop parts with custom cooling solutions in this form factor in a few years. I’ve personally been dying for a motherboard smaller than the standard ITX one we’ve been on for a while, and this might be the solution.

Hm I'll take your word for it. I think PC building is like adult legos, it's very simple and all you need is a screwdriver. It's simpler than assembling IKEA furniture imo. Just watch a 30 minute guide online and you're good to go. The only thing different about SFF is that the clearances are smaller and cable management is tricky, but otherwise it's the same. Especially these days, in the 90s it was maybe 60/40 prebuilt/custom, but now I think way more consumer PCs are assembled than sold prebuilt (obviously in offices, schools etc. it's all prebuilts). And that's partially because desktop PCs are mostly an enthusiast space now with everyone else using laptops, even tablets and phones as their daily drivers and consoles for gaming. I could be wrong. But my point was specifically about people lacking awareness of ultrasmall cases like the Velka 3 vs. PC building in general.

But regardless, I take your point that the NUCs may raise awareness of the ultrasmall form factor which may eventually benefit us all. I just hate seeing people waste over $1000 on a proprietary board with mobile parts when they can get a more powerful desktop PC in the same volume for way less.

Reactions: Killinger

djbenxnyc

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 4, 2019
Hello all Velka 5 case owners!
In recent weeks, I needed to travel for the holiday for work and visiting friends and family, at the same time, I still wanted to bring my newly build PC in the Velka 5 case "Captain Phasma" (https://pcpartpicker.com/b/27mqqs). So I got a traveling case for it! check out the pictures below and definitely deserves a recommendation if anyone needed to bring their setup on a go, or to a LAN party. It also have enough room for HDMI and Power cable.

Got the case from Amazon for 20 bucks!
Amazon link
Just wanted to share the good find with all Velka 5 owners! cheers!

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Keen for one of these Velka5 cases. Wondering when these/if these will be going back on the market?

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Keen for one of these Velka5 cases. Wondering when these/if these will be going back on the market?

Right now, no one really knows. There's supposed to be discounted second stock available for the US market late January, but other than that pre-orders are disabled, and it has been radio silence from @VELKASE Michael since mid-December. My guess is the holidays and the upcoming Chinese New Year has put a bit of stress on getting case shipped.

Reactions: Wyd4

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
The Velka3 could be used for a compact SSD-based FreeNAS (or Unraid) build with a dual SFP+ 10Gb (and potentially QSFP 40Gb, but who has switches with those) single slot pcie card...I suppose in single slot mode one could install 2 x 2.5” Micron 5210 Ion 7.68TB drives...plus more m.2 blades like the 4TB Sabrent ones on the motherboard...
Being in single slot mode, one could use an HDplex200 plug in DC-ATX adapter...plus an external brick... (this way one could fit even more 2.5” drives on the bottom in place of the FlexATX, I suppose)

One would think there would be smaller single-slot-half-height options to do this but for example the Streacom F7C is 6 liters I think...also most of these have an horizontal footprint...nice for the home theater but not necessarily optimal for the desk or the home network room..

deeree

Trash Compacter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 4, 2017
@QuantumBraced - I think we need to get Flex ATX mainstream to pull more people to the case. The noise right now is the biggest hurdle. The problem is that if you want a quiet Flex ATX unit, you need to swap the fan. That said when you consider where SFX was at the start of the last decade, there could be hope. Bonus points for modularity.
The new FSP Flexguru 300W PSU should be not loud, at least according to Custommod youtube review (they ran it with RTX 2070 and OCed i5). They even offer it now with custom cables (shorter, no molex cluter and added GPU 8-pin) on their website.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
The new FSP Flexguru 300W PSU should be not loud, at least according to Custommod youtube review (they ran it with RTX 2070 and OCed i5). They even offer it now with custom cables (shorter, no molex cluter and added GPU 8-pin) on their website.

Its bloody loud - the fan is rated for 47 dB

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
A lot of people are asking about pre-orders, the next batch, and the remaining B-stock.

Many components for these cases are manufactured in China and Taiwan. China celebrates the Spring Festival / Chinese New Year until February, which means that production in China is at a halt until everyone starts working again in February. The availability of the next batch is expected to be May 2020 or later. Production for current revisions of cases has not been scheduled because I cannot keep up with demand as-is. Major changes need to be made to the way that orders are processed, cases are packaged, packages are shipped, and that may also require a case design update. At this time, it is too early to say what the update will be exactly, and therefore too early to accept pre-orders, but it will be focused on enhancing the appearance, structural integrity, fixing incompatibilities. Once pre-orders open, there will be virtually no cap on the number of pre-orders that can be placed.

Until then, there will just be some B-stock cases with cosmetic defects remaining. I still need some time for assembly, photography, and explaining everything properly on the website.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
A lot of people are asking about pre-orders, the next batch, and the remaining B-stock.

Many components for these cases are manufactured in China and Taiwan. China celebrates the Spring Festival / Chinese New Year until February, which means that production in China is at a halt until everyone starts working again in February. The availability of the next batch is expected to be May 2020 or later. Production for current revisions of cases has not been scheduled because I cannot keep up with demand as-is. Major changes need to be made to the way that orders are processed, cases are packaged, packages are shipped, and that may also require a case design update. At this time, it is too early to say what the update will be exactly, and therefore too early to accept pre-orders, but it will be focused on enhancing the appearance, structural integrity, fixing incompatibilities. Once pre-orders open, there will be virtually no cap on the number of pre-orders that can be placed.

Until then, there will just be some B-stock cases with cosmetic defects remaining. I still need some time for assembly, photography, and explaining everything properly on the website.

Thank you for the update! These things are never easy and I can appreciate your desire and need to get everything in order before re-opening pre-orders.

Good luck and thank you for the hard work in making sure everything is right before going back to market.

Kind regards

Scott

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
Well, I fucked up and bought the modular version of the Enhance ENP-7660B by mistake from here. Completely my fault. Did intend on buying the non-modular even though I was tempted to take the risk after seeing this post which was a successful build with a similar modular PSU.

I can confirm that the one I bought definitely doesn't fit and needs another 10mm clearance, or power button length reduction. Just wanted to post in case anyone was thinking of taking the risk.

Somewhat on a similar note, @VELKASE Michael isn't there anywhere else on the case that the power button can go that would make it less of an interference with components? Was the positioning based more on aesthetics? Just find it a shame that of all the things, it's a power button which completely removes compatibility for most modular PSUs.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Production for current revisions of cases has not been scheduled because I cannot keep up with demand as-is. Major changes need to be made to the way that orders are processed, cases are packaged, packages are shipped, and that may also require a case design update.

Will you still be taking suggestions for revisions as in the past ???