Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Velka 5 review when? I want to see how a full one is built in.

Optimum Tech has a review video here although the build process is not shown.

I have plans to get a camera and create a video assembly guide to supplement the user manual, however that may still be weeks away from happening.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The slotted PSU mount seemed to work fairly well in the prototypes so that featured just hasn't changed since. There is a good chance of the slots being replaced with holes next time. Flat screws seem like a good idea; they will also be easier to screw in due to their lower weight.

Side panel corners not being rounded enough: that problem does not occur frequently and it will occur less frequently with each upcoming batch. So far I've received only one complaint about a corner and that's something that would be solved with a replacement panel or partial discount if it happens again.

Regarding countersunk screws: Holes will be countersunk eventually, I just can't say when. The panels are 1.2 mm thick and if countersinking in that thickness keeps failing, the panel thickness will need to be increased to 1.5 mm and mass will have to be taken away from some other component. Keeping those panels 1.2 mm thick would be ideal for keeping distance between holes low and open area of cutouts high.

Thanks again for a detailed reply. Just my opinion, but I don't think it's worth making the side panels thicker/heavier. I hope you can figure out the tooling for 1.2mm panels. In the meantime, perhaps include non-countersunk screws? That way, it will look a little more flush, and the screws will be less likely to catch things in backpacks, etc.

Regarding the PSU mounts potentially becoming holes -- I hope that includes the 3rd mount that people often don't screw in. The PSU being secure is the only thing that concerns me a little if the case is truly used as a portable PC and tossed in and out of backpacks frequently.

Oh, do you still plan on making the case parts L-shaped at some point?

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Nov 6, 2018
sooooo, i finaly decided on my next sff project and will be on a velka 3. just placed my pre-order.

couple of questions:

1) what are the best options for flex atx psu for the velka 3? are all the modular ones with a length of 150mm compatible? i'm worried that the modular part of the flex atx psu will interfere with the power button on the velka 3.

2) any chance the noctua 80x25 fit in the velka 3?

3) what is the minimum length of the pci-e riser cable needed for the velka 3?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
sooooo, i finaly decided on my next sff project and will be on a velka 3. just placed my pre-order.

couple of questions:

1) what are the best options for flex atx psu for the velka 3? are all the modular ones with a length of 150mm compatible? i'm worried that the modular part of the flex atx psu will interfere with the power button on the velka 3.

2) any chance the noctua 80x25 fit in the velka 3?

3) what is the minimum length of the pci-e riser cable needed for the velka 3?

1) The only modular Flex ATX power supplies that are compatible are the SSP-300SUG, SSP-300SUB, FSP300-57FCB, and FSP250-50FGBBI(M). All others do not conform to the Flex ATX standard length of 150 mm. Those are good options if you are using a graphics card that does not need a 6 or 8 pin PCIe power connector, like a GTX 1650. For more powerful graphics cards, you would need to consider the SST-FX350-G, FSP400-60FGGBA, FSP500-50FGGBN, and ENP-7660B. Don't let the part numbers intimidate you; you can just look them up and get search results from online stores.

2) No, they must be 80 x 10 mm.

3) 250 mm for the flexible portion or 300 mm from the edge of the female end to the edge of the male end (which is how LiHeat ones are measured). Only LiHeat and 3M risers will work with the provisioned mount.

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Nov 6, 2018
1) The only modular Flex ATX power supplies that are compatible are the SSP-300SUG, SSP-300SUB, FSP300-57FCB, and FSP250-50FGBBI(M). All others do not conform to the Flex ATX standard length of 150 mm. Those are good options if you are using a graphics card that does not need a 6 or 8 pin PCIe power connector, like a GTX 1650. For more powerful graphics cards, you would need to consider the SST-FX350-G, FSP400-60FGGBA, FSP500-50FGGBN, and ENP-7660B. Don't let the part numbers intimidate you; you can just look them up and get search results from online stores.

2) No, they must be 80 x 10 mm.

3) 250 mm for the flexible portion or 300 mm from the edge of the female end to the edge of the male end (which is how LiHeat ones are measured). Only LiHeat and 3M risers will work with the provisioned mount.

Thank you for the response.

I will be using a gtx 1070 mini, and currently i got a seasonic 300sug which i'll add some molex to pci-e 8 pin to connect.

i'll check the 400w ones you listed, thank you for the model numbers.

one last question, if i order a riser from the velkase website, will it ship together with my preorder velka 3 or will it ship before?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Will the Akasa 80mm slim fan fit the Velka 3? They are 10.8mm thick.

Yes, they have the same dimensions as the VF-8010-PWM fan actually.

one last question, if i order a riser from the velkase website, will it ship together with my preorder velka 3 or will it ship before?

There are two places on the website to buy the riser. One is on a page for items in stock and one it for items on pre-order. I would suggest ordering from the latter page, velkase.com/preorder so that it ships together and there is no mistake.

TheChristoph99

Efficiency Noob
Oct 17, 2019
I want my next project to be the velka 3, but I'm still trying to get the parts compatibility

what about the psu from geek? will it fit with the modular cables?

edit:
I'm having a hard time finding flex atx psu that is good and available from Australia (or even from international shipping but with reasonable shipping cost)

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I want my next project to be the velka 3, but I'm still trying to get the parts compatibility

what about the psu from geek? will it fit with the modular cables?

edit:
I'm having a hard time finding flex atx psu that is good and available from Australia (or even from international shipping but with reasonable shipping cost)

This question keeps coming up again on both reddit and here. The answer is no. Any FlexATX unit that does not conform to the standard 150mm length will not fit. This includes all the modded units that you will find.

The only modular FlexATX unit I've seen that actually complies to spec is the FlexGURU line from FSP and they top out at 300W

As for where to buy them in Australia, you could try this UK based retailer, they seem to charge 20 quid for shipping to down under.

@Michael could you add the caveat about PSU length to the manual the next time you update the document, it might help answer this common questions

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

TheChristoph99

Efficiency Noob
Oct 17, 2019
This question keeps coming up again on both reddit and here. The answer is no. Any FlexATX unit that does not conform to the standard 150mm length will not fit. This includes all the modded units that you will find.

The only modular FlexATX unit I've seen that actually complies to spec is the FlexGURU line from FSP and they top out at 300W

As for where to buy them in Australia, you could try this UK based retailer, they seem to charge 20 quid for shipping to down under.

@Michael could you add the caveat about PSU length to the manual the next time you update the document, it might help answer this common questions

because I thought the case could extend to allow for longer GPU's wouldn't that also increase the allowance for the psu?

Sarafan

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2019
There are also modular versions of the ENP 7660 available on aliexpress. But they're super expensive. And also probably don't fit. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976497787.html?channel=twinner

If I was going to do a Velka 3 build, I would buy the ENP 7660 and desolder all the wires I don't need. People always talk about how dangerous it is opening up PSUs, but if you discharge the capacitors contacts with a screwdriver or suitable resistor, everything will be fine. I wouldn't expect the capacitors to be charged in the first place after a long shipping time, and if it hasn't been plugged in yet.

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
because I thought the case could extend to allow for longer GPU's wouldn't that also increase the allowance for the psu?

The range of adjustment in in that little sliding piece is about 12mm or so, at the maximum extension, you have a little bit of room for cable routing but insufficient to accommodate any modded PSU.

At minimum extension, the back of the power button damn near touches the PSU

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
So, does the Cryorig C7 G cool 125w?
You can put a Ryzen 9 3900x or 3950x in a Velka 5 then. That's really cool.

Those CPUs are going to be very difficult to cool. They may outperform the 3700X and 3800X in multi core performance in the Velka 5, but they will still not be used to their full potential.