Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Sam

Caliper Novice
Jul 19, 2019
Than it would be in NCASE N1 and SG13 territory and I already have an SG13 ?
GEEEK is making something that looks similar, "N series", for next month release, but I would rather have it in metal.
Although they didn't release the dimensions, it looks like there will be few sizes, this the smallest;

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Than it would be in NCASE N1 and SG13 territory and I already have an SG13
GEEEK is making something that looks similar, "N series", for next month release, but I would rather have it in metal.
Although they didn't release the dimensions, it looks like there will be few sizes, 3 slot N1 looking one and this the small one;

Sorry, I really don't see what advantage this case would have over the existing Velka 5 case. The Velka 7 that I plan on releasing will have around 70 mm CPU cooler clearance; additional clearance will result in a miniscule performance improvement that wouldn't be justified by the size increase in the context of portability.

May I know what you find attractive about those cases? Appearance, price, hardware compatibility, etc?

Sam

Caliper Novice
Jul 19, 2019
No need for riser and can use a 135mm tower cooler like U9S for i9 cpu.
The k77 I linked and similar 'smallest one' from which the k77 was inspired from; https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=558710712904 are some of the most popular cases on Taobao.
It's smaller version of Ncase M1 and you know how popular that case is. With just few liters more than Velka 5/Dan A4, I think it makes sense.
I guess for now I'll wait and see how small the GEEEK version will be.

DevoJS44

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 8, 2019
I was wondering how tight your tolerances are for the Velka 5 GPU limits. Your limit says 296x43x142mm, while the EVGA 1080ti ftw3 is 299.72x37x142.69mm. Curious if you left a couple millimeters in each dimension to confirm compatibility, or if your maximum dimensions are pretty hard limits. Secondly, if you think the additional 3.72mm is pushing it too far, if I removed the fans to cut the card length by a couple millimeters, would I have maybe a spare millimeter in length over your rating?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I was wondering how tight your tolerances are for the Velka 5 GPU limits. Your limit says 296x43x142mm, while the EVGA 1080ti ftw3 is 299.72x37x142.69mm. Curious if you left a couple millimeters in each dimension to confirm compatibility, or if your maximum dimensions are pretty hard limits. Secondly, if you think the additional 3.72mm is pushing it too far, if I removed the fans to cut the card length by a couple millimeters, would I have maybe a spare millimeter in length over your rating?

Length:
There is 300 mm length available in the frame, but only 296 mm are usable because there is a slot that the IO shield goes into and the distance from the edge of the slot to the wall on the other side is 308 mm. 12 mm out of 308 mm are needed for the IO shield (296 = 308 - 12). You would have to do some experimentation with the build order and slightly bend the right wall in this diagram outwards to fit a 300 mm card. I believe it can be done without permanently deforming the frame, but at the same time I cannot guarantee results.

Height:
Exceeding the 142 mm height specification by 0.69 mm should be fine because that number is rounded down. However, that graphic card's power connectors are not recessed and it may be impossible to plug in the 8 pin connectors. Typically, 18 mm are needed for plugging in mini fit jr connectors. Your best bet would be to use this type of low profile angled adapter (I cannot speak for its safety and reliability) and leaving the riser unscrewed (it's a large card, so it will be supported by the case anyways if it fits) which would likely result in a bulge in the top panel. It probably wouldn't be noticeable because the sides of the top panel will be covered by the side panels.

Width:
There are 43 mm available. It might be possible to get 1 extra mm with a bulge in the side panel, but it shouldn't be a problem with your card. 43 mm is enough for most graphics cards with backplates.

In summary, proceed at your own risk. Of course, you can return the case if it doesn't work, but you would have to be sure to keep it in relatively good condition and cover return shipping to USA.

Reactions: DevoJS44

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Very very good to know. I think I might go for it and see how it works out. I will let you know for future reference!

Can you not remove the graphics card I/O shield to gain a few more mm ?? - not really needed if everything else is such a tight fit (should hold the card in place)

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Has anyone seen the newly announced FSP modular PSU? https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP197003673/

A little bit anaemic (only available up to 300W but that should be enough for a mid-range CPU and GPU), apparently all fits within the standard Flex ATX 150mm sizing. No PCIe connectors provided but it shouldn't be too hard to splice and recrimp the SATA/Molex cables to PCIe

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hey there, is there a mailing list or something similar to get notice? Very interested in a VK5

Yes, on velkase.com, there is a field on the bottom of the page where you can leave your email. Thank you for your interest.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This is a small request but are the power switches going to come back in stock in September too? I'm not a Velka owner but I still want to support other small case makers when I can.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
This is a small request but are the power switches going to come back in stock in September too? I'm not a Velka owner but I still want to support other small case makers when I can.

They will, most likely. Thanks.

Has anyone seen the newly announced FSP modular PSU? https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP197003673/

A little bit anaemic (only available up to 300W but that should be enough for a mid-range CPU and GPU), apparently all fits within the standard Flex ATX 150mm sizing. No PCIe connectors provided but it shouldn't be too hard to splice and recrimp the SATA/Molex cables to PCIe

We touched on it briefly in this thread. In my opinion, the 500W variant will be more interesting if it actually modular as opposed to made with detachable cables. The 300W variant may be too expensive for what it is, as the Seasonic SSP-300SUG and SSP-300SUB are about $30 less expensive, one of those two models has a 0 RPM fan mode at idle, and the only difference between them and the FSP unit is the color of the wires.

wallysimmonds

Caliper Novice
Nov 30, 2018
So what's the recommended PSU for the Velka 3 in your opinion (bearing in mind I'm trying to keep things as quiet as possible).

I've got a 2060 super, 2600/B450-i and a Velka 3 all ready to go but still waiting on my 600W PSU to be shipped from Zcases... I'm looking at plan B's if that doesn't eventuate. Looks like the 'custom' options are available at geeek, but man...over $200 US for the 600W is pretty expensey!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
So what's the recommended PSU for the Velka 3 in your opinion (bearing in mind I'm trying to keep things as quiet as possible).

I've got a 2060 super, 2600/B450-i and a Velka 3 all ready to go but still waiting on my 600W PSU to be shipped from Zcases... I'm looking at plan B's if that doesn't eventuate. Looks like the 'custom' options are available at geeek, but man...over $200 US for the 600W is pretty expensey!

The ENP-7660B, which is the one that Zcases sells, is the best one on the market (price aside). Geeek Flex ATX power supplies do not conform to Flex ATX size standards and will not fit into the case. There is one seller on eBay who sells them for 123 USD + 38 USD international shipping.

Which RTX 2060 super are you planning on using? I do not recall there being any 2060 super under 183 mm in length.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
The ENP-7660B, which is the one that Zcases sells, is the best one on the market (price aside). Geeek Flex ATX power supplies do not conform to Flex ATX size standards and will not fit into the case. There is one seller on eBay who sells them for 123 USD + 38 USD international shipping.

Which RTX 2060 super are you planning on using? I do not recall there being any 2060 super under 183 mm in length.
Z-Cases are sold out of that PSU unfortunately. Any chance you can coordinate with them to do another bulk order of the ENP-7660Bs?

AZengus

Cable Smoosher
Aug 5, 2019
You will need to use 4 pin to 6+2 pin adapter in order to use it for the GPU part. I got exactly the same model just like you and I spoke with a guy who told me to use the 4 pin to 6+2 pin adapter in order to use it for the gpu. These are the specs on the site where I bought:

Connectors1 x 24 pin ATX - 32cm long
1 x 8pin EPS12V (4+4 connector) - 32cm long
1 x 4pin ATX12V - 15cm long
4 x 15pin SATA - 2 cable runs each 1st SATA at 35cm 2nd SATA at 50cm
2 x 4pin Molex - 1st molex at 35cm, 2nd molex at 50cm, FDD at 65cm
1 x 4pin FDD

And the rails are as follows:

Output Specs:3.3V @ 14A
5V @ 16A
12V1 @ 18A
12V2 @ 18A
-12V @ 0.5A
5Vsb @ 3A

You would then use the cable from 8pin EPS12V - with EPS12V 8pin to EPS12V 8pin + PCI-E 6+2pin adapter cable adapter. 12V rail carries 18A so it will be more than enough to deliver power for your GPU + CPU.

This is the cable that I got:

link

Again not trying to advertise the cable to buy it, just saying what worked for me.

I ended up getting the proper flex-ATX unit on Amazon; there appeared to be other issues with the unit.

Has anyone completed a VK-3 build yet? I have another dilemma with how tight the tolerance is with fitting cables in and around the case, haven't been able to close it completely yet so far.

Most of my attempted cable routes have put a lot of pressure on the power button, and the other times I simply don't have any space left over to dump the SATA/molex cables. My motherboard ASUS B450-I has a generous amount of heatsinks splayed all over, which probably isn't helping things either.